Turn on thread page Beta

How to deal with a tailgater + on the phone at the same time? watch

ReputationRep:
    The highway code says you should slow down and open the gap in front incase there should be an accident.

In my car i dont really want to get rear ended so i just slowdown to annoy them. That way its them that chooses to do something dangerous like overtake in a 30 zone.

rear fogs are good too. as is antilag as the flames and soot can blacken their bumper if they are really close and the unburnt fuel and soot goes all over their windscreen if a bit further back.

another good technique i like is let them make a mistake and crash off. Especially if im driving say on a 40/50/60 two way road, if a roundabout ahead is empty, I will just go into the roundabout at that speed safe in the knowledge that my superior handling means i can drive round safely. Often the CHAV/boy racer is in some old battered wreck and his overconfidence and lack of experience means he will be concentrating on tailgating rather than slowing to a safe cornering speed. Then glance at your rear mirror while said CHAV understeers into the centre of the roundabout or looses it totally!! Ive watched crash 2 corsa's, 1 BMW and a nova that way.

And of course the police cannot do anything to me as ive broken no laws, i am driving within the speed limit and within a safe speed for the conditions and ability of my vehicle. You have ZERO obligation in law for other drivers actions.

The only time i would brake test them is if in work's landrover. A small animal ran in the road, honest officer. The rear end of a landrover makes a mess of most cars. Anything else and you might get hurt or end up out of pocket.

(Original post by Jellybean91)
    Dont... i know someone who actually caused an accident by doing that and he got the blame for it!
    ******* judge then.

(Original post by TheFatController)
    AFAIK its always the tailgaters fault if they go in the back of you, even if you stop for no reason. This is because it is always your responsibility to ensure that you can stop within the distance that you can see to be clear on your side of the road. There is nothing illegal about applying your brakes.
    exactly.

(Original post by aeterno)
    Drive really, really slowly to wind him up. When he tries to overtake you, speed up. Just wind him up.
    nah to remain legal youd need to slow down then accelerate as you see him accelerate before he pulls out. once he has pulled out to overtake, to accelerate then is dangerous driving in the eyes of the law.

(Original post by LawBore)
    I guess you could:

Move in to the outside lane and then slot back in behind him again,

or

Pull over.
    why should she?? its not "her" problem in the eyes of the law but his. Especially on a dual carriageway, dont pull over for anyone. And moving into the middle lane to let him undertake is both illegal AND dangerous.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by ahydrophobicfish)
    What I was told to do if someone is following very close behind, it takes a bit of practice, but just touch the brake pedal gently enough so that your lights come on without reducing your speed too much, then release, then press the pedal again. Like I said it takes a bit of practice to be able to do it without your driving being changed dramatically, but the constant on/off the lights will generally panic them so they will either back off or overtake you.
    This is a good way of going about it actually, id never really thought about doing that.
    But if someone is tailgaiting and they do hit you, its always their fault. Especially if they are on the phone or anything. And if you get the police involved with something like that then they will just throw the book at them.

Tap the brakes and, if he tries to move across to your right, gently move across with him. Eventually he'll get pissed off and back away from you, learning that he'll get nowhere fast by being pushy. Source: I do it all the time.

Another option is to get one of those "POLICE - STOP" flashing matrix signs and switch it on after a minute or two, but that is completely illegal and I am not responsible for you doing that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Tap the brakes and, if he tries to move across to your right, gently move across with him. Eventually he'll get pissed off and back away from you, learning that he'll get nowhere fast by being pushy. Source: I do it all the time.

Another option is to get one of those "POLICE - STOP" flashing matrix signs and switch it on after a minute or two, but that is completely illegal and I am not responsible for you doing that.
    Surely you're not serious? You brake test him to warn him then don't let him pass? Are you stupid?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)

another good technique i like is let them make a mistake and crash off. Especially if im driving say on a 40/50/60 two way road, if a roundabout ahead is empty, I will just go into the roundabout at that speed safe in the knowledge that my superior handling means i can drive round safely. Often the CHAV/boy racer is in some old battered wreck and his overconfidence and lack of experience means he will be concentrating on tailgating rather than slowing to a safe cornering speed. Then glance at your rear mirror while said CHAV understeers into the centre of the roundabout or looses it totally!! Ive watched crash 2 corsa's, 1 BMW and a nova that way.
    This sounds pretty satisfying :lol:

ReputationRep:
    One guy was annoyed at me, so on the motorway we're driving and he quickly pulls out in front of me, and slams on his brakes, and he's driving in between two lanes! Stupid chavs with A3s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobcat65)
    You have to do an emergency stop.
    Damn right.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Elementric)
    Are you a retard?
    no need to be an ******* about it. All i was saying is thats what happened. If you choose to ignore my advice then thats your call.

(Original post by Elementric)
    Surely you're not serious? You brake test him to warn him then don't let him pass? Are you stupid?
    Deadly serious. Never let me down once and you'd be amazed at how effective it is. Give it a try before passing judgment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    You're going to say you're entitled to brake for any reason, because you are. You could say that there was something on the road that caused you to brake, there's really no excuse for going into the back of someone.
    You aren't entitled to brake for any reason, you're only supposed to brake when it is needed. Obviously this is to a large extent down to the driver's judgement, but braking for no reason (or for a bad reason, like scaring the person behind you) is enough to be charged with "careless or inconsiderate driving".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by konvictz0007)
    Trust me you wouldnt wanna be infront of me driving real slow on the roads, especially mototways.

If someone is going faster than me i always drive faster or move out the way. People arnt stupid, chances are there was no speed cameras on that road and everyone was doing 30+.

Speed should be context based. E.g. When im driving near a school i dont ever go above 20 even if the limit is 30. In the motorway my minimum speed is 80 assuming good grip and good visibility. My cars brakes and my understanding of distances ensure im never in direct risk of hitting anyone.

I hate lane hoggers the most. Some idiot driving slow in the fast lane i do not like. If that happens to me i drive up close behind them...if they dont move i get even closer and 99% of the time they move out of the way. Its the rule of the jungle, survival of the fittest.

If anyone thinks 70 is where motorway speed limits should be then i advise them to go to m1 or m25 and see real world speeds.
    I get the impression your a bit of a **** but on the whole I agree, I don't drive as much as I used to do but I still rack up about 2 hours of m6/m1 a week and it's all about going with the flow, a solid 80-85 all the way. It's all about judgement and very little about the speed limit. Generally if you know your limits and the limits of the car/conditions then your pretty safe, while a bad driver is pretty much in constant danger regardless of their speed.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, the responses to this are hilarious!
    Stop the car using your break lights! Then get out and offer him a fight

Just kidding...

In this situation I'd have pulled into the right hand lane, slowed down myself, then tucked in behind him.

If it was a single lane, and bothering me, I'd have reduced my speed quite slowly, with the breaks, whilst indicating to pull over. Simply pull over and then continue on your journey once he's past.
    If it isn't bothering you, continue driving at the speed limit, with the satisfaction you know he's a tos**r and you're a good driver.

ReputationRep:
    Increase the gap to the car in front to give you more time to react so you can go easier on the brakes if you need to stop hopefully making up for the **** behind. If it really bothers you then just let them past, don't get wound up over it.

Certainly don't slam on the brakes or any of this other bs trying to make them crash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PapaShmurff)
    This sounds pretty satisfying :lol:
    yeah it is pretty funny I drove back to the scene of the crashed nova and the guy was screaming at me as i drove past saying "that will teach you" :cool: I came back on my return journey and told the policeman who was attending what really happened and the kid got in **** for it and was reported for careless driving. The officer did want to report him for motor racing on the highway but he cant do that unless the other party (ie me) is actively racing him and the CHAV following someone closely albeit at relatively quick speeds doesnt count a racing.

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who fitted a .22 to the back of his pickup that could be triggered from a button on the steering wheel... would knock a hole in the radiator of the tailgater and overheat the bast*rds engine. Gotta love Kiwi Ingenuity lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnVogue)
    OK, passed my test last week, been driving a few times since.

Went out today, middle of the day, really nice weather. Driving down a dual carriage way, 30 limit (I was doing 30, definitely not under ~27).

A boy racer type comes roaring up behind me, and starts tailgating, I'm thinking OK this guy will just follow me then over take in the right hand lane, but he didn't. He was following me along for a while, only one or two other cars on the road.

I'm still checking in my mirror every few seconds, at which point I think OMG he's looking at his phone, he then starts making a phone call. He's doing that weaving thing where they go out a bit, in a bit etc.

This continues right down the road, until he turns off (thank God) to the a few junctions down.

Anyway, what was the correct way to deal with this situation? There are several pedestrian crossings along the road, and I was worried that someone was going to cross and I'd stop and he wouldn't (especially as he wasn't really paying any attention when he was making this phone call).

This is the roundabout, and I was heading into the city, (where the white car is going) and he didn't turn off until the overdale road junction

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...37.33,,0,-3.44
    thats easy, gradually keep slowing down and picking up speed to annoy him and he'll drive off

ReputationRep:
    There is a simple thing to do for this.
    Dont use your brake lights, instead turn your rear fog lights on and off to make them look like brake lights, in the heat of the moment the guy behind wont know they are fog lights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Deadly serious. Never let me down once and you'd be amazed at how effective it is. Give it a try before passing judgment.
    You won't be saying that after you cause an accident, your car is damaged and it turns out the tailgater isn't insured.

ReputationRep:
    You obviously have two sensible options: Either

a) ignore him
    b) pull over

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    You obviously have two sensible options: Either

a) ignore him
    b) pull over

Pull over where?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.