Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to deal with a tailgater + on the phone at the same time? Watch

(Original post by aeonflux)
    You won't be saying that after you cause an accident, your car is damaged and it turns out the tailgater isn't insured.
    Diddums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnVogue)
    Pull over where?
    I dunno, onto the side of the road perhaps? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by py0alb)
    I dunno, onto the side of the road perhaps? :confused:
    Going onto the pavement will surely cause a lot more disruption to the traffic flow?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what's wrong with just easing over, signalling left and letting them pass. Done it plenty of times, don't even need to stop - they'll pass you almost as soon as you put the signal on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnVogue)
    Going onto the pavement will surely cause a lot more disruption to the traffic flow?
    Quit being awkward. Incase you're actually thick, you don't need to mount the pavement to let someone past.

ReputationRep:
    In this situation I would tell my friend in the passenger seat (he is always there) to take control of the wheel whilst I pull out a double barrel and blow his ****ing brains out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jk1986)
    Quit being awkward. Incase you're actually thick, you don't need to mount the pavement to let someone past.

I'm not being awkward, it was a bloody dual carriage way if they wanted to pass they could have gone into the right hand lane and overtaken me!

There isn't anywhere to pull over on that road, and there were other cars around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jellybean91)
    Dont... i know someone who actually caused an accident by doing that and he got the blame for it!
    He got the blame for it? I was under the impression that the guy behind was always at fault in the eyes of insurance companies, as they should be following at such a distance that they should be able to stop and not slam into the back of you. I've also been told that the 'brake-touch' thing was the right way to deal with tailgaters?

ReputationRep:
    Dont... i know someone who actually caused an accident by doing that and he got the blame for it!
    But in this case, there is no reason to break! And if they have cameras that can prove there was nothing obstructing you? Theyll see how close the guy behind you was a conclude what you were doing from that. No there isnt but theres also no excuse for trying to trick people into thinking youre about to do something dangerous.
    How on Earth can he be blamed for it? As long as he isn't violently braking for no reason, the driver has every right to slow down as they see fit. People adjust their speed all the time by braking, and therefore using their brake-lights. It's not trying to 'trick him into doing something dangerous', when it's his (the driver tailgating) responsibility to slow down to an appropriate distance when he sees brake-lights. What you're describing isn't the proper application of motoring law.

(Original post by Blissify)
    "Brake testing" is illegal and it would be sods law that you would be caught out if he ran into you.
    Point me to this specific law, because I've never heard of it being illegal, and as such, am inclined to think that this is either made up, or just some urban myth that you've tacked onto.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    The highway code says you should slow down and open the gap in front incase there should be an accident.

In my car i dont really want to get rear ended so i just slowdown to annoy them. That way its them that chooses to do something dangerous like overtake in a 30 zone.

rear fogs are good too. as is antilag as the flames and soot can blacken their bumper if they are really close and the unburnt fuel and soot goes all over their windscreen if a bit further back.

another good technique i like is let them make a mistake and crash off. Especially if im driving say on a 40/50/60 two way road, if a roundabout ahead is empty, I will just go into the roundabout at that speed safe in the knowledge that my superior handling means i can drive round safely. Often the CHAV/boy racer is in some old battered wreck and his overconfidence and lack of experience means he will be concentrating on tailgating rather than slowing to a safe cornering speed. Then glance at your rear mirror while said CHAV understeers into the centre of the roundabout or looses it totally!! Ive watched crash 2 corsa's, 1 BMW and a nova that way.

And of course the police cannot do anything to me as ive broken no laws, i am driving within the speed limit and within a safe speed for the conditions and ability of my vehicle. You have ZERO obligation in law for other drivers actions.

what car u driving?

ReputationRep:
    It was the ISI following you cos ure indian blud

ReputationRep:
    Point me to this specific law, because I've never heard of it being illegal, and as such, am inclined to think that this is either made up, or just some urban myth that you've tacked onto.
    Brake testing isn't illegal, in fact it's encouraged at the start of a journey to test that the brakes are responding strongly and evenly.

Doing it with someone close behind, however, could in some circumstances be construed as either careless or dangerous driving. If you genuinely want to test, wait until there's no-one to be inconvenienced or alarmed. At any rate we should all be taking responsibility to minimise the collision risk for everyone - so what's the point? It's worse for everyone if he hits you, whoever is theoretically to blame. And if he's uninsured, you'll be repairing your vehicle.

I fail to see the problem with either opening out a larger gap to the front, or encouraging the tailgater to overtake by slowing gently and indicating left. Why cause problems? Let him get on with his journey and you with yours in safety.

ReputationRep:
    destroy him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    what car u driving?
    a puma. why?? cant see what type of car has to do with this thread, unless we are talking about the types of cars likely to tailgate which are generally VAG/merc/bmw repmobiles and boy racers.

ReputationRep:
    a puma. why?? cant see what type of car has to do with this thread, unless we are talking about the types of cars likely to tailgate which are generally VAG/merc/bmw repmobiles and boy racers.
    lol, jus wanted to know what u were driving to be confident enough to go into round abouts fast enough to set off bmw's, pumas pretty nippy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeWave)
    Doing it with someone close behind, however, could in some circumstances be construed as either careless or dangerous driving. .
    I doubt it would stick in court unless you pulled out on them, swapped into their lane etc.

it is your responsibility to be able to avoid the vehicle in front, even if it does an emergency stop.

Its just not possible to rear end another car if you keep a safe distance away except in exceptional circumstances such as brake failure.

ReputationRep:
    Let him go in front and then follow him to wherever he is going. Once he pulls over and goes into a building or whatever, get out of your car and slash all four of his tyres. Leave a note in terrible untraceable handwriting saying 'please do not tailgate in the future or I will be back'.

Sorted, at least he's off the road for a little while because by tailgating he doesn't deserve to be on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    in this scenario (where both drivers were on the same road for some time) yes the tailgater is at fault and they went into the back they'd be at fault.

BUT there are scenarios where your forced to become a tailgater or worse go into the back of the third-party due to the third-partys error. You'd not be guilty and the Third-Party most certainly would be guilty.... e.g.
    your driving along a main road and up ahead there is a side street on the left. The third-party is in the side street intending to pull onto the main road.
    They do so with minimum gap and warning, it is 90% certain that YOU will either become a gailgater because there was no time to brake and keep a good distance or worse you go into the back of them.... THIRD-PARTIES FAULT, you'd easily win the case with a good description and diagram.

There are many time when I'm on a roundabout thus have right-of-way and some idiot pulls out infront of me and I end up their back side because they misjudged the gap and should have given-way. I'm forced to become a tail-gater through no intention or fault of my own and then forced to back off to stop myself from been a tail-gater despite the fact that I originally had right-of-way!
    You underestimate the uselessness of courts. My friend nearly got killed when a car pulled out in front of his bike. the side of his engine got smashed through his leg. Front wheel of bike was undamaged.

The court ignored the policeman at the scene, the woman saying "I didn't look" (she changed her story twice more, in the end said friend was "driving too fast on the wrong side of the road having lost control" Ignored the physical evidence completely (head on collision as stupid woman said would probably have damaged the front of the bike) and decided there wasn't enough evidence.

My theory is that said friend was young (had been riding bikes for years though), and had long hair. The people at the hospital kept asking if he had gotten his bike a couple of days ago for his birthday and assumed he was being an idiot on it. He had got it on his birthday, 2 years ago lol. But middle aged woman v.s young long haired man, she got off.

If you want to murder someone, hit them with a car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Manesh2468)
    lol, jus wanted to know what u were driving to be confident enough to go into round abouts fast enough to set off bmw's, pumas pretty nippy?
    unless your talking about the M models, most BMWs just dont handle that great. They handle well for their size, sure, but they are all heavy big saloons so a light nimble hatchback will run rings round a BMW on tight A and B roads.

ReputationRep:
    unless your talking about the M models, most BMWs just dont handle that great. They handle well for their size, sure, but they are all heavy big saloons so a light nimble hatchback will run rings round a BMW on tight A and B roads.
    true, people should really get to know the limits of there cars instead of testing them around other drivers, i think its pretty foolish for boyracers to drive around thinking they are going to avoid any accidents but yeh good on you for wreckin a few off the streets lol, i personally like to slow down and since theres only the middle lane for overtaking let them begin to overtake me then speed right up lol scares the crap out of em when theres oncoming trafic.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.