Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to deal with a tailgater + on the phone at the same time? Watch

ReputationRep:
    If someone tailgates me i just slow down by breaking and usually they get the message to back off.

At one set of lights on the way to work i have to get upto 50 i do give my car abit of a boot and usually a cloud of smoke appears behind leaving the idiot in a bmv abit unhappy. Not like i mean to but my car can smoke like a bus :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    too many boy racers/chav racers just cant concentrate on the road and just concentrate on what they are doing, be it tailgating etc and dont notice the important stuff going on around them.

Ive had it with other cars on windy A roads where a lot of people these days just copy the car in front rather than assess and make a decision for themselves. I remember there was a slightly icy corner and all 6 cars in front of me nearly lost it on the corner as they just wernt paying attention. youd think with the cars in front of you loosing the back end that most people would think something is wrong and slow down but no they just carry on obliviously.

ReputationRep:
    Slow down slowly to a point where he either gets annoyed with you and overtakes or his tailgaiting becomes less dangerous. Then he'll look up to see what you're doing and make a going back signal to him in your mirror, then a phone signal. He'll get the gist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    I doubt it would stick in court unless you pulled out on them, swapped into their lane etc.

it is your responsibility to be able to avoid the vehicle in front, even if it does an emergency stop.

Its just not possible to rear end another car if you keep a safe distance away except in exceptional circumstances such as brake failure.
    100% agree - if you're genuinely taking some evasive action then there will be absolutely no problem. Better to sort out the safety margins early on before something like this happens, but can't always be done.

The point where it gets a bit troublesome is if you're trying to piss the tailgater off because you don't like his driving style. Accelerating on him if he overtakes, switching lanes to obstruct, braking too hard or for no reason, gesticulating and shouting etc - not good. If something goes wrong and there are witnesses or CCTV footage ... :judge:

A few too many people here for my liking seem to be advocating such methods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    Deadly serious. Never let me down once and you'd be amazed at how effective it is. Give it a try before passing judgment.

It's funny because you're probably the sort of person who would **** themselves when they saw a burly guy in a white van come up onto their bumper and pull onto the hard shoulder to have a breather.

ReputationRep:
    Had an interesting encounter today.

Stupid prick in a Renault Megane, started driving on 2 lanes at 20 at a 30 zone.

I gave him a nice good sounding of the horn, he kept at it literally drove straddling 2 lanes thinking he is a wide load. I put my LR into N and revved it up it couple of times, idiot kept at it for a good half a mile, then when the road had a turning lane I tried to pass him that's where he speeds up again.

Then he goes back to his tricks, I hold the horn down, he keeps looking at me from the rearview mirror oblivious to the fact that a Toyota Land Cruiser was slowing down in front of him.

He went straight into the bumper of that Land Cruiser....... what a joy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeWave)
    The point where it gets a bit troublesome is if you're trying to piss the tailgater off because you don't like his driving style. Accelerating on him if he overtakes, switching lanes to obstruct, braking too hard or for no reason, gesticulating and shouting etc - not good. If something goes wrong and there are witnesses or CCTV footage ... :judge:

A few too many people here for my liking seem to be advocating such methods.
    people advocate the methods because they work generally and because by winding up the tailgater you get a nice bit of satisfaction that the mongtard will be upset. Also there is the hope that oneday said mongtard might think to himself why other drivers often treat him badly and wind him up then make the conclusion that its their driving thats caused the reaction. And even if its just a selfish idiot who knows exactly what he's doing, at least your winding him up and ruining his plans.

karma rarely deals tailgaters and selfish drivers the blows they deserve so any safeish opportunity is time well spent IMO.

although swerving across lanes or accelerating while he is overtaking is just a bit silly. accelerate before he pulls out so he cant overtake. not dangerous then.

I have no problem morally with slowing down on tailgaters to wind them up. Even the highway code tells you to. Yes doing an emergency stop is a bit dangerous but its only dangerous because he is driving dangerously in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)

Stupid prick in a Renault Megane, started driving on 2 lanes at 20 at a 30 zone.

I gave him a nice good sounding of the horn, he kept at it literally drove straddling 2 lanes thinking he is a wide load. I put my LR into N and revved it up it couple of times, idiot kept at it for a good half a mile, then when the road had a turning lane I tried to pass him that's where he speeds up again.

Then he goes back to his tricks, I hold the horn down, he keeps looking at me from the rearview mirror oblivious to the fact that a Toyota Land Cruiser was slowing down in front of him.

Haha that must have been seriously satisfying..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)

So your aggressive behaviour was a contributing factor to him having an accident? Congratulations, what a hero you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    So your aggressive behaviour was a contributing factor to him having an accident? Congratulations, what a hero you are.
    nope, the megan driver's inability to concentrate on the road ahead was what caused the accident.

ALL drivers are required to maintain safe and proper control of their vehicles regardless of distractions on the road.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warrenpenalver)
    nope, the megan driver's inability to concentrate on the road ahead was what caused the accident.

ALL drivers are required to maintain safe and proper control of their vehicles regardless of distractions on the road.
    Oh absolutely, but if Iorek hadn't been blaring his horn and trying to unnerve the driver in front, he might have been concentrating more. It doesn't mean that the first driver isn't to blame for the accident, but I hardly think Iorek's presence helped.

There's no excuse for the first driver being an idiot, but the answer to this is not to exacerbate the situation by being an aggressive idiot too.

ReputationRep:
    in a legal sense and moral sense Iorek's presence has nothing to do with the accident.

sure if people wanted to nit pick you could argue that his horn distracted the driver, but then a ambulance a few cars back or someones flashing head lights or a loud noise or a plane going by or anything could have distracted him just before the accident.

So no i wouldnt consider it a contributing factor in that context.

ReputationRep:
    I normally slam my brakes on, brembo's are pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    Just touch your brakes enough for the brake lights to go on so he has to slam on his brakes, not knowing how little you'll actually slow down
    ive been with my dad when hes done this before :L the guy dropped his phone grabbed the wheel slammed the brakes on and i swear he started screaming :L this is the best one to try

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.