Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Information removed.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Silverwing)
    On average, how much work would you say per week/day do you get?

French, Spanish, History, Physics, Pure Math and Mechanics and English Literature.

Do you consider them to be hard A-levels and what are you predicted?

Thanks for your input! (By the way, I plan on taking 5 of these, though I may start with 6 and drop one depending on which one I like the least and the workload, etc.)
    Out of your proposed subjects, I do Maths and English Literature at AS-Level. The workload for Edexcel (albeit very similar for other exam boards) Maths depends heavily on how gifted you are at the subject, it just requires plenty of practice.

Regarding AQA English Literature, you study two plays for coursework; if you prepare well in lessons and do practice essays you shouldn't find it hard. I did my coursework pieces in a couple of hours straight for each. The exam, however, is slightly more taxing. You study two novels and two sets of poetry; my teacher used to set us an essay per week.

I know I haven't spoken much about hours of workload, but I hope that's given you a slight insight!

Yes it has! Thank-you very much!

I'm planning on buying revision guides in the summer so that I can get a head start on the work. I also know what novels we are going to study, so I plan on reading them throughout the summer as well.

For English Language, the workload's only bad if you don't keep up with it all. If you make sure you get the books read well in advance, you'll be at a massive advantage at the start of term. Depending on your teachers, it's normal to get 1/2 essays a week (I have two teachers, so I'd get two essays a week )

French and Spanish have MASSIVE workloads. I personally don't do them but I have friends who do, they are constantly doing language homework! I wouldn't recommend doing two foreign languages, because one of my friends that does two massively struggles with the workload.

As said above, Maths is dependent on your ability. I was TERRIBLE at maths, I did probably about 12 hours a week of maths (outside of lessons) and still came out with a U.

The others I have no idea

Obviously, it all depends on you, but I really wouldn't recommend doing 6 AS levels...4 is definitely enough! I do French, Spanish, History and English Literature, and to be honest, they're the sort of subjects that you plough on with all the time. You don't get LOADS of homework at any one point, but for languages, you're constantly learning vocab, for English Lit, you're reading the poem, and for History, you're keeping up to date, reading your textbook.

Doing 2 languages is great - they complement each other so well! I'd say the overall workload for languages is no greater than any other subject!
What's the best type of cheese?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.