Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What are your best diet and exercise tips? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    What are everybody's best personal tips for diet, exercise and weight loss?
    I'm beginning to get stuck in a rut and want some fresh approaches to help me try new things.

ReputationRep:
    Drink your own piss and lose 14 stone in a day!

EDIT: Two people have never seen peter kay :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    A little diet tip I like.. I keep lots of different fresh fruits and veggies and prepare them all (peel/slice etc) as soon as I get home then keep them in tupperware boxes in the fridge, so they are easy and handy to grab for snacks! Or using them in main meals it just makes it quicker and easier to add fresh stuff in

ReputationRep:
    eat less

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to join a gym, join a nice gym so it feels like a treat to go/like you're taking care of your body/doing something good and enjoyable/relaxing and you'll feel more inclined to go. If your gym is dirty/unpleasant/has poor equipment, you won't want to go.

ReputationRep:
    Options hot chocolate! If you always find yourself wanting chocolate, have one. They're well nice, come in loads of different flavours and they're like 50kcals a sachet I always used to have one at night, and knowing that I had chocolately goodness waiting for me at night meant I was less likely to want actual chocolate during the day, hehe

ReputationRep:
    Watch what you drink.

I drink only water and it has made a lot of difference to my weight loss/health.

If you do have the urge to drink juice, read the label! So many juices contain added sugar. Buy a juice that is 100% juice. Or even better, just have some fruit.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have the extras that are so easy to go without. For example butter on bread, sugar in tea/coffee, butter on top of potatoes, salad dressing, cream on cake etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galadriel100)
    Watch what you drink.

I drink only water and it has made a lot of difference to my weight loss/health.

If you do have the urge to drink juice, read the label! So many juices contain added sugar. Buy a juice that is 100% juice. Or even better, just have some fruit.
    This is what I intend to do, I love juice and drink lots of it, but I want to get into the habits of eating loads of it and drinking loads of water.

(Original post by MrCharmed)
    Don't have the extras that are so easy to go without. For example butter on bread, sugar in tea/coffee, butter on top of potatoes, salad dressing, cream on cake etc.
    Agreed.

ReputationRep:
    My tip would be to do a lot of your own research rather than flat out listen to one or two people/sources. A lot of people are happy just to take someones word for it, or listen to that there random media-influenced health article on BBC news. A little experience weeding out the reality from the misinformation goes a heck of a long way when trying to be proactive about health. Perhaps one day broscience will be the minority, rather than an everyday occurence. One can dream!

ReputationRep:
    Strive to outdo everybody else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    If you're going to join a gym, join a nice gym so it feels like a treat to go/like you're taking care of your body/doing something good and enjoyable/relaxing and you'll feel more inclined to go. If your gym is dirty/unpleasant/has poor equipment, you won't want to go.
    **** that ****! If you going to join a gym join a proper one not a gay health club as suggested here.

Spit and sawdust gyms are full of people who actually achieve why you want because they don't spend all the time there marvelling at the coffee machines or trying to figure out the spaceship like consoles on the cardio equipment.

The fittest athletes in the world boxers, cage fighters, track and field (lulz) etc do not train in fancy gyms!! They realise it is the work you put in that makes the difference, fancy health clubs cause people to procrastinate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    **** that ****! If you going to join a gym join a proper one not a gay health club as suggested here.

Spit and sawdust gyms are full of people who actually achieve why you want because they don't spend all the time there marvelling at the coffee machines or trying to figure out the spaceship like consoles on the cardio equipment.

The fittest athletes in the world boxers, cage fighters, track and field (lulz) etc do not train in fancy gyms!! They realise it is the work you put in that makes the difference, fancy health clubs cause people to procrastinate!
    I absolutely hate going to those kind of gyms though. When you're not at that level of fitness yet, it's a really embarasing experience. Especially if you're overweight and trying to lose it, the first part is a right struggle and a lot of the time it can feel like people are laughing at you, even if they're not.

I like to go to a gym where there's noone about. Or go to a fitness class with people at the same level as me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesseecar123)
    I absolutely hate going to those kind of gyms though. When you're not at that level of fitness yet, it's a really embarasing experience. Especially if you're overweight and trying to lose it, the first part is a right struggle and a lot of the time it can feel like people are laughing at you, even if they're not.

I like to go to a gym where there's noone about. Or go to a fitness class with people at the same level as me.
    Those are the people least likely to even care you are there, they are focussed on their own training not on random that come in. You are more likely to be looked at, laughed at and *****ed about in a health club as they are generally full of pretentious pricks.

I'm not sure how a nice gym helps if you're overweight. If you're overweight you'll feel embarassed and think that people are judging or laughing at you whether you are in a nice gym or a ****hole. Because it's more of a mindset than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)

I don't even go to the gym anymore, but I agree with this. In a 'fancy' gym, people will take more notice of the overweight, unfit person. In a hardcore gym, everyone is there concentrating on their own thing. They don't care who just walked through the door or who just got stuck in the door way.

There are coffee machines in gyms?! :|

Someone here said to find something enjoyable/relaxing. Enjoyable yes. You have to enjoy exercising, or else you're likely to give it up. However, relaxing? No. You want exercise to be challenging. You want something to work towards. You want sweat running down your legs and in your eyes!

ReputationRep:

"Nice" gyms can be quieter than student gyms and tend to have middle age/old people going so you don't feel self conscious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by galadriel100)
    I don't even go to the gym anymore, but I agree with this. In a 'fancy' gym, people will take more notice of the overweight, unfit person. In a hardcore gym, everyone is there concentrating on their own thing. They don't care who just walked through the door or who just got stuck in the door way.

There are coffee machines in gyms?! :|

Someone here said to find something enjoyable/relaxing. Enjoyable yes. You have to enjoy exercising, or else you're likely to give it up. However, relaxing? No. You want exercise to be challenging. You want something to work towards. You want sweat running down your legs and in your eyes!
    There's no coffee machine in my gym, I think he's making it up.

The exercise is challenging as you want it to be (this is just down to personal motivation surely?) and then afterwards I go for a relaxing steam or sauna, the facilities are clean, comfortable and relaxing and make me want to go back.

I don't only go to the gym for fitness, I go because I want to relax afterwards and destress. Grunting men in a 'hardcore' gym is not my idea of a good time and I wouldn't want to exercise there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCharmed)
    If you wanted to lose weight why would you eat cake?

(Original post by Dee Leigh)
    This is what I intend to do, I love juice and drink lots of it, but I want to get into the habits of eating loads of it and drinking loads of water.
    Eating loads of fruit is not a good way to lose weight, fruit is full of sugar. Research which fruits are lowest in sugar and stick to those, or forgo fruit entirely and eat veggies instead.

ReputationRep:
    Semen has alot of calories....

All jokes aside, do intensive cardio, 20-35 mins a day with your heart rate above 100.

Crunches don't burn any fat, they meerly strenghthen abdominal muscles. Unless you combine it with cardio then it is useless.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.