Turn on thread page Beta

What are your best diet and exercise tips? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    **** that ****! If you going to join a gym join a proper one not a gay health club as suggested here.

Spit and sawdust gyms are full of people who actually achieve why you want because they don't spend all the time there marvelling at the coffee machines or trying to figure out the spaceship like consoles on the cardio equipment.

The fittest athletes in the world boxers, cage fighters, track and field (lulz) etc do not train in fancy gyms!! They realise it is the work you put in that makes the difference, fancy health clubs cause people to procrastinate!
    I stopped reading seriously when you referred to a non living thing as "gay".

Ain't nothing wrong with gay, they're usually pretty good at taking care of their bodies.

If you are bamboozled by a treadmill, it probably means you need to work on other things apart from your muscles.

Not everyone wants to be "Powerlifter".

Different things work for different people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by No Future)
    I stopped reading seriously when you referred to a non living thing as "gay".

How did you comment on the rest of my post then?

Ain't nothing wrong with gay, they're usually pretty good at taking care of their bodies.

You may find gay means happy, and studies show aggression is optimal when exercising.

If you are bamboozled by a treadmill, it probably means you need to work on other things apart from your muscles.

You are correct, I can just oh I don't know, run outside for free. All the buttons confuse me, not sure why my Airline Instrument rating didn't though

Not everyone wants to be "Powerlifter".

Nobody said they did, but as probably the only qualified personal trainer commenting here who has actually competed at a high level in not only one but four sports I imagine I know rather a lot more about the subject than you do and have been exposed to and realised the folly of more myths than I care to remember.

Different things work for different people.

They do indeed, but there are also common rules - the same things also fail in most people and it is why 'health clubs' have a much higher proportion of unfit out of shape people as they want everything to be easy, on a machine and then to steam them self like a fish afterward (which incidentally is extremely dangerous after a workout just fyi)

ReputationRep:
    Also lol @ me getting negged by a broscientist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMorgan26)
    Eating loads of fruit is not a good way to lose weight, fruit is full of sugar. Research which fruits are lowest in sugar and stick to those, or forgo fruit entirely and eat veggies instead.
    Ok. But I still need to get my 5 a day and i dont get enough of that at the moment, so I want to get into the habit of eating 5 a day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dee Leigh)
    Ok. But I still need to get my 5 a day and i dont get enough of that at the moment, so I want to get into the habit of eating 5 a day.
    He's right in the sense that veg is usually superior to fruit for dieting purposes. But that's majoring in the minors. Nothing wrong with fruit for the vast majority of people. Fruit's very rarely anywhere near the top of the list in terms of diet issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleekchic)
    I'm not sure how a nice gym helps if you're overweight. If you're overweight you'll feel embarassed and think that people are judging or laughing at you whether you are in a nice gym or a ****hole. Because it's more of a mindset than anything.
    I didn't mean go to a nice health club gym, I just meant I would rather not go to a meat head gym. Like I said I'd rather just go somewhere where there's noone about really. But tbh I find it easier to exercise doing something I like, like cycling, playing a sport or swimming rather than going to the gym.

I don't think there's anything wrong with either types of gym, I personally just feel uncomfortable in those sort of situations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AMorgan26)
    If you wanted to lose weight why would you eat cake?

Eating loads of fruit is not a good way to lose weight, fruit is full of sugar. Research which fruits are lowest in sugar and stick to those, or forgo fruit entirely and eat veggies instead.
    Well if your giving yourself a treat then its better to just have the cake than cake somothered in cream.

ReputationRep:
    Cut carbs i promise you'll never feel hungry again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrCharmed)
    Don't have the extras that are so easy to go without. For example butter on bread, sugar in tea/coffee, butter on top of potatoes, salad dressing, cream on cake etc.
    I've replaced dressings with balsamic vinegar (or normal vinegar & pepper) for salads and instead of mayo/sour cream I use natural/low fat yoghurt. You still get to enjoy yourself so you can keep motivated but you don't need to worry about extra stupid calories and fat content.

With regards to exercise the only successful approach I've had is to do something fun with friends. I wish I could hike all the time, I HATE running and too pathetic to go to the snobby gym down the road. :hmmm:

I have a 10K run in July to prep for...oh god.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesseecar123)
    I absolutely hate going to those kind of gyms though. When you're not at that level of fitness yet, it's a really embarasing experience. Especially if you're overweight and trying to lose it, the first part is a right struggle and a lot of the time it can feel like people are laughing at you, even if they're not.

I like to go to a gym where there's noone about. Or go to a fitness class with people at the same level as me.
    I have found gyms to be one the least judgemental places I've ever been. I often walk in with my hair bunged up, some old joggers and a vest and no one bats an eyelid. Even the strongest and fittest guys started somewhere. I get more odd looks outside walking into the gym than I do when I'm there.

ReputationRep:
    stay away from multipacks...even of the healthiest food. its so easy to just say "one more"

DO NOT cut out food groups...it is not sustainable and you will put weight on again quickly. everyone i know who tried "no carb" diets ended up feeling tired all the time. carbs are important for energy. just dont eat massive portions of them

Do not deny yourself your favourite foods entirely as you are more likely to give up....if u love choccie allow yourself one bar every couple of weeks or something :-D

ReputationRep:
    Drink a lot of water - it hastens up your metabolism which stimulates weight loss. Eat 5 or 6 times a day instead of 2 or 3 - however, it half of that you would eat if you ate 3 times. Try to avoid eating late at night - instead eat the most during breakfast and lunch time. Of course, avoid eating food rich in carbohydrates and fats. This doesn't mean that you have to stop eating such food but you have to limit it significantly. And finally, exercise - I would suggest jogging at least three times a week. Also, this will require some will power but it's worth it.
    Poll
    How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.