Turn on thread page Beta

Will I not be able to get a GP in the future? watch

ReputationRep:
    Now with GPs going to be far more accountable for their costs of treatment they will be increasingly aware of who they take on and their potential cost. Why would they take me on with a history of lots of medical support due to no fault of my own, due to various conditions, when they could choose someone far less likely to need future, expensive treatments? Or if the budget is tight around a certain time they may try and make me decidde to go with the cheapest treatment, even by an "unconscious" way of influence rather than outrightly stating, but in a way that it would save the rpactice money at the expense of me.

Sort of like the current situation with denstist where I know a number of people unable to get a NHS dentist...

I'm scared this will happen,am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, it's not America. Granny isn't going to die of a brain tumour just because you can't afford the op.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, It'll be alright, I don't think they will refuse you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Don't worry, it's not America. Granny isn't going to die of a brain tumour just because you can't afford the op.
    I'm not talking about dieing. I'm talking about the possibility of not getting a GP easily or one that's close. Or not getting the best treatment for my condition. Or not being told what is even the best due to them trying to save money. Or being told "come back in 6 months" to again save money..

(Original post by Dream Weaver)
    Nah, It'll be alright, I don't think they will refuse you.
    How do you know this? Why would it be any different than the current situation with dentists?

ReputationRep:
    You'll get to see a GP, however one can argue that you'll see less of them for 'minor' issues and more of nurse practitioners and practice nurses who can independantly prescribe, asess etc as they will be dealing more heavily in the 'buisness' side of health.

It's already happening and unfortunately (or fortunately depending which side of the coin you're on) the new NHS structure will encourage this furthur.

ReputationRep:
    A good third of the people going to their GPs really just need to man the **** up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    A good third of the people going to their GPs really just need to man the **** up.
    Thanks for your constructive input.....

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.