Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Who did/do you do your driving lessons with!? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Independent all the way! My guy is £17 a lesson and always gives me 90 mins x

ReputationRep:
    A local instructor, if your near Aylesbury It will be worth your while to tell me

(Original post by cwboyracer)
    ERROR Alert,ERROR ALERT!! One has to ask why one would include the word common two times and why one would not have realized they had done this. pardon me if I seem rather intimidating but one had to ask
    One sounds like a ****.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I had 3 different instructors. Started with BSM, then changed to a middle-ish sized local school. Passed with an independent one. The first two had a habit of turning up late, ending lessons early, using their phones while I was driving etc.

ReputationRep:
    A more salient point is to learn to drive BEFORE you start lessons. Spending £25 for an hour of learning the basics of changing gear when your dad/elder siblings/friends could teach you for free in the definition of a waste of money. You wanna be able to drive around safely first, then get an instructor to teach you the little things you need to do to pass your test, like hold your hands in a completely unnatural position and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blackspur)
    Independant instructors all the way! Ask your friends who they would reccommend, there is a class system with instructors (4/5/6 with class 6 being the "best&quot but I'm not sure how much it actually means.
    Yeah, my instructor was independant, didn't advertise, had a high pass rate and was a class 6 instructor. I didn't like him as a person, but he had a really good reputation. I passed on my second test, which wasn't so good, but having said that, I had passed 6 months after starting to learn so thats good!

Definately go for an independant - in different areas the nationwide companies might have better instructors than others. I have a friend who is with BSM and his lessons sound so structured and outside college, everyone seems to be sat in the car talking for ten minutes before they actually start driving. I saw an AA car once who stalled on a roundabout, and I could see the instructor talking to the student, presumably about what went wrong, and I was sat behind waiting for them to get going With my instructor I always had an hour or two hours driving. I'm paying for a DRIVING LESSON so sitting for ten minutes talking when I could be driving isn't going to help.

(Original post by py0alb)
    A more salient point is to learn to drive BEFORE you start lessons. Spending £25 for an hour of learning the basics of changing gear when your dad/elder siblings/friends could teach you for free in the definition of a waste of money. You wanna be able to drive around safely first, then get an instructor to teach you the little things you need to do to pass your test, like hold your hands in a completely unnatural position and stuff like that.
    This is slightly true, but if you learn slowly, you don't want to learn the bad habits, because it'll be harder to break them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twelve)
    This is slightly true, but if you learn slowly, you don't want to learn the bad habits, because it'll be harder to break them.
    You only have to break them for the duration of the test then you're home free to drive in a more sensible manner.

ReputationRep:
    You've all made very good points.
    I think I might choose an independent instructor..

Thank you very much guys <3 love you all ;] lool

ReputationRep:
    I HAS A QUESTION!

How long did it take you (meaning any of you) to do anything other than drive forwards? Like parking, reversing etc.

I've got my 3rd lesson tomorrow and all we've done is drive forward really. I want to know if i'm slow compared to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jar of Hearts)
    I HAS A QUESTION!

How long did it take you (meaning any of you) to do anything other than drive forwards? Like parking, reversing etc.

I've got my 3rd lesson tomorrow and all we've done is drive forward really. I want to know if i'm slow compared to others.

I think I done reversing round the corner on my second lesson so you should start doing some pretty soon. I suppose it depends how good a driver you are, someone who is, lets say, less talented isnt going to be reversing in their 2nd or 3rd lesson.

Im doing my lessons with an independant instructor and its only £18 a lesson. near enough all the people i know have been with him passed first time, roughly about 12/13 people.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    safedrive, £20 an hour

ReputationRep:
    I had lessons for about 6 weeks last summer with an independent guy operating under the name 'Driving Ambition'.
    It was around £19 an hour although he liked to book two hour lessons [which were obviously £38]. He was nice enough. He used to finish lessons at least 5 minutes early though - often 10! - and would often talk on his phone whilst I was driving. Even early on. :/
    I did the emergency stop, turn in the road and corner reverse during my lessons.

I stopped because I came back to university. I want to pass this summer but I think I might try a different instructor...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trathen93)
    I think I done reversing round the corner on my second lesson so you should start doing some pretty soon. I suppose it depends how good a driver you are, someone who is, lets say, less talented isnt going to be reversing in their 2nd or 3rd lesson.

Im doing my lessons with an independant instructor and its only £18 a lesson. near enough all the people i know have been with him passed first time, roughly about 12/13 people.
    Oh, i had my 3rd lesson yesterday and instead of just driving in the industrial place it was real roads in the city.. and a round about but still no reversing D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salfordfairy)
    Independent all the way! My guy is £17 a lesson and always gives me 90 mins x
    Just noticed your name, do you live in Salford by any chance? Just that I'm looking for an instructor over summer and I live on the Salford/Wigan border!

ReputationRep:
    My dad, who happens to be a driving instructor.
    He works for a local company in Ipswich; Ability. £22 per hour, or £200 for 10 hours. Those prices may have gone up a little, idk.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    My dad didn't charge me anyway. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    A.B.C Driving school
    £18 a hour
    Level 6 Driving instructor

i Passed first time

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.