The Student Room Group

Should we leave the EU?

what are your thoughts on the UK being in the EU?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
UK leaves EU or EU leaves UK?

I'd much prefer the EU to leave the UK.
Reply 2
Seems to cost way more than its worth. The idea is nice but it needs a lot of reform
Reply 3
No.
Reply 4
Why do Brits complain about the EU so much? I'm from Luxembourg and we've never had any issues with being part of the bloc, I mean the borders are open I can go and live in France, Germany, Spain without restrictions or having to go through border control. Why on earth would we want to separate or exclude ourselves from Europe. Switzerland and Norway implement almost the same regulations but they are unique countries. The UK is not Switzerland and it will never be, you'll only lose if you leave the EU which I think will never happen anyway.
Reply 5
I probably wouldn't shed any tears if this happened.
Reply 6
Original post by tillytots
No.

For what reasons?
Reply 7
Britain does nor realise that over 60% of its exports go to EU countries. If Britain leaves then it will have to pay a levy for such exports. This means that it will lose much more money than it gives to the EU now, not to mention the closure of many businesses because of this.
Original post by Kara09
Why do Brits complain about the EU so much? I'm from Luxembourg and we've never had any issues with being part of the bloc, I mean the borders are open I can go and live in France, Germany, Spain without restrictions or having to go through border control. Why on earth would we want to separate or exclude ourselves from Europe. Switzerland and Norway implement almost the same regulations but they are unique countries. The UK is not Switzerland and it will never be, you'll only lose if you leave the EU which I think will never happen anyway.

E.U. =/= Europe
Original post by Kara09

I think the reason why the UK is generally opposed to EU membership is down to our geography and history. We are an island nation, for starters, that does not share a first language, or mutually intelligible languages, with any continental European country. This is almost unheard of on the continent, as countries tend to come in pairs or groups. Spain and Portugal; France, Wallonia and Romandie; Germany, Austria and German Switzerland; Scandinavia; Finland and Estonia; Latvia and Lithuania; Greece and Cyprus. Britain is generally "paired" with Ireland, itself a relatively introspective island nation with even less cultural exchange with the continent than us. Basically, the physical and linguistic separation of Britain and Ireland from continental Europe means that we are not as culturally integrated into the union as other nations.

Also, in European history, England and later Britain has often been cast as an outsider, particularly post-Reformation. The old Protestant/Catholic divide, the Napoleonic Wars and the British supremacy really led to a culture of "apartness" from Europe; we were seen as separate, on the outside of continental culture.
Reply 10
Original post by cybergrad
Britain does nor realise that over 60% of its exports go to EU countries. If Britain leaves then it will have to pay a levy for such exports. This means that it will lose much more money than it gives to the EU now, not to mention the closure of many businesses because of this.

Hence why most people say lets negotiate free trade agreements
Reply 11
Original post by Kara09

people take advantage of these borders, and thE EU want too much control, it started off as the free market now its all about controlling the countries laws etc. Why should Europe be able to tell our government that we have to let prisoners vote? it has nothing to do with them, whats the need to get involved when we are fine. power hungry old men.
Reply 12
No immigrants are cool
Reply 13
Original post by Ventura7
what are your thoughts on the UK being in the EU?

Well with the current economic downturn highly unlike now and in the future as like 50% of our exports go to the EU nations. So not highly likely of course, plus theres a freetrade agreement, so by leaving its going to do us more harm then good.
people take advantage of these borders, and thE EU want too much control, it started off as the free market now its all about controlling the countries laws etc. Why should Europe be able to tell our government that we have to let prisoners vote? it has nothing to do with them, whats the need to get involved when we are fine. power hungry old men.

Just a quick, but very important point here - the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) which enforces the European Convention on Human Rights has **** all to do with the European Union. They are two completely separate entities. The ECHR, not the EU, ruled that prisoners should have the vote.

The ECHR includes most countries in Europe.
No. I dont think we want to lose the single market (which I think is great) or economic ties with Europe and it would result in hefty job loss. Plus, there are important EU directives that protect our rights as citizens and employees - such as directives that protect us from low pay and unfair treatment at work. And I appreciate the freedom to move.

Leaving the EU would be far more hassle than its worth.
Reply 16
There are advantages aswell as disadvantages if the UK was to stay in the EU.

Being part of the EU makes trading really really easier between the EU member countries. We could also get cheaper things especially with the strong £.

The UK's been part of the EU since 1973 and we have had to put up with about 3000 directives and some EU laws. EU laws are much more stronger than the UK laws. Where both of these tend to contradict with one another, the former has the primacy. There are several laws that the UK might bring in which the EU will oppose. The Human Rights Act, for example, is one where the EU has more say than the UK.

It seems like most of the British people also want us to stay part of the EU because in 1975, there was a referendum carried out to see whether most people agree with the EU membership. The % of those who voted yes was more than 60% so I guess the EU really ain't that bad.

At the end of the day, the UK can withdraw from the EU at any point in time and this could again be done with the use of referendum. But I'm afraid to say that as long as the UK stays in the EU, we pretty much have to comply with all of their laws.

Member states are allowed to opt out of negotiations.

And with regards to immigration and border control - the majority of our immigrants actually come from outside the EU.
Original post by Lewis :D
No immigrants are cool

Agree with ur point on an overall basis, but when it comes to specific people you realise that immigrants are kinda sick - if you get to know them. Cuz after all they are people and actually do care for the countries population even if the press don't see it that way. The press are wrong more than right most of the time. Their views are politically motivated.

Its just that the rapid increase in population due to immigration is making Britain angry as what there's isn't anymore. If that makes sense. I myself am British however of of Indian origin from family so I get to see both sides.
Reply 19
Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
Agree with ur point on an overall basis, but when it comes to specific people you realise that immigrants are kinda sick - if you get to know them. Cuz after all they are people and actually do care for the countries population even if the press don't see it that way. The press are wrong more than right most of the time. Their views are politically motivated.

Its just that the rapid increase in population due to immigration is making Britain angry as what there's isn't anymore. If that makes sense. I myself am British however of of Indian origin from family so I get to see both sides.

British are deluded, the argument that we live on a small island is invalid we actually don't have enough immigrants

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending