Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Lost motivation to be healthy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have always been slim, and although I wasn't into school sports, I was active through school, although I ate fairly unhealthy food sometimes!

In my first year of uni I put on a little weight, but only enough to go from a small size 8 to an 8-10. I think it was as a result of alcohol, and controlling my own portions rather from really unhealthy eating and i wasnt big on take aways or junk food.

Over the summer of my first year I dieted quite hard to loose the weight, and started to run and swim. I got back down to a small size 8, but developed a tendancy to eat very strictly during the week and then binge at weekends. In my second year of uni I continued to get very into exercise, running a couple of 10ks etc, and also became quite obsessive about my diet, verging on having an eating disorder.

Over the summer my eating habits became more normal, although my obsession became with eating incredibly healthily. At the beginning of third year I got glandulare fever quite badly, and since then I have struggled to get back into the routine of regular exercise. I will manage for two or three weeks and then loose all motivation to run and go to the gym.

I have also recently stopped eating such a healthy diet. I have had a few stressful essays and disseration and have found myself binging like i did when I wasnt eating properly, except I am also eating normal meals inbetween. Im home for easter and the binging has stopped now I am less stressed, but I still feel no desire to exercise, or to stop snacking to try and loose the weight I have gained. I am normally very conscious of my body image, and like to look slim and toned but at the moment it feels like I just dont care!!

Any ideas for how to get the motivation back? I like myself much better when I am fit and eating healthily, but right now it feels like such hard work to keep it up and too much of a sacrifice to cut back on the tea and cakes!!

x

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my friends have had glandular fever recently and from what I've heard it takes months and months to gain all your energy back. Sounds like it's been quite a while since you had it but maybe it's something to consider?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, it has been about 6 months since I was diagnosed. I guess it could still be effecting me. When I start exercising I feel fine, but within a few days I seem to loose energy and motivation! I have managed to run a few 5ks under 30mins but cant do much more than that!
    I wonder if anyone else has any experience of exercising after GF or resuming motivation after some time off? In the past it has always been a desire to stay slim that has kicked me into gear after some time off but it doesn't seem to be happenig this time!

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely say don't do too much too quickly! Your body really needs time to rest and recouperate after an illness like GF. A healthy diet might help you regain some energy and allow your body to heal faster, but you should only exercise if you really feel up to it.

You could try some low impact yoga classes, or even follow some stuff on the internet. Walking and building up gradually to running might help too. I know a few people with post viral fatgue and ME that were all triggered by GF, so be kind to yourself and allow you body all of the nutrients and rest it needs to fix itself!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.