Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tory cuts: How deep are they? watch

• View Poll Results: Tory cuts - how deep are they?
    The state is being cut by 50% or more
    13.33%
    25% - 49% cut
    5.00%
    5% - 24% cut
    35.00%
    4% or less is being cut
    18.33%
    The size of the state is staying the same
    6.67%
    The size of the state is actually increasing
    21.67%
    Don't know
    0%

I'm creating this poll because I'm interested to see how much people think the state is being cut by, if at all. I'm talking about real terms spending here. I'm also talking 2010 - 2015, over the course of the entire parliament.

Maybe then we can move into a discussion about how ideologically motivated they may or may not be.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    How deep is your love? I mean, the first cut is the deepest.

Know what I mean?

Spoiler:
    Show

Be interesting to see who argues that it isn't being cut at all!

Too deep because they are cretins. /thread

ReputationRep:
    As deep as a banker's pockets. Assuming that the banker has really big trousers.

(Original post by paddy__power)
    Too deep because they are cretins. /thread
    What amount did you say?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    What amount did you say?
    I didn't. Any specific answer I gave would be essentially a (semi-informed) guess. If this is what you want then I would probably go for 5 - 24%. We can't know what is going to happen over the course of the entire parliament though so essentially it is me making a number of assumptions followed by guestimates. :dontknow:

(Original post by paddy__power)
    I didn't. Any specific answer I gave would be essentially a (semi-informed) guess. If this is what you want then I would probably go for 5 - 24%. We can't know what is going to happen over the course of the entire parliament though so essentially it is me making a number of assumptions followed by guestimates. :dontknow:
    Well I'm obviously working on the assumption that the government will continue cutting by the specified amount - £81bn over the parliament. I don't expect them to suddenly start cutting more or to stop their program of cuts either.

With the greatest of respect: without knowing how much is being cut, how can you say that they're cretins for cutting that amount? You don't know what the amount is.

But out of interest, between 5% and 24%, where do your guestimates take you? Towards a quarter of the state being cut by 2015?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well I'm obviously working on the assumption that the government will continue cutting by the specified amount - £81bn over the parliament. I don't expect them to suddenly start cutting more or to stop their program of cuts either.

With the greatest of respect: without knowing how much is being cut, how can you say that they're cretins for cutting that amount? You don't know what the amount is.

But out of interest, between 5% and 24%, where do your guestimates take you? Towards a quarter of the state being cut by 2015?
    I'm just going in the phone so I'm not ignoring you but will reply when I'm back

ReputationRep:
    I'm creating this poll because I'm interested to see how much people think the state is being cut by, if at all. I'm talking about real terms spending here. I'm also talking 2010 - 2015, over the course of the entire parliament.

Maybe then we can move into a discussion about how ideologically motivated they may or may not be.
    Nobody can tell as the inflation rate for the next 4 years is impossible to know.

ReputationRep:
    The cuts aren't that deep, to be fair. Cutting public spending is what any reasonable person would do in a situation like this one, although there are some arguments as to how fast or slowly we should try to tackle the structural deficit, seeing as we are still in a period of low growth.

That is where, I suppose, the criticisms of the cuts being 'ideological' comes from. Anyway, I can't remember the exact numbers (too lazy to look up), but it is amazingly small considering the full scope of government spending; so I'm rather confused as to why they warranted such opposition (even the biggest protest in Britian ever!), but whatever.

ReputationRep:
    £81bn over the parliament. I don't expect them to suddenly start cutting more or to stop their program of cuts either.
    Thats a real terms projection, in cash terms its increasing.

Since you know the cash terms projection why can't you do the maths yourself?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

It is not so much the amount in and of itself, but in tandem with the focus. For example the cuts across the country to local councils: 160m from housing and homelessness services, cuts to children's care and care for the elderly, even the NHS are having money restricted for new equipment. The government know voters will be less harsh come election if they front load cuts. The issue for me, and as I say I'm no economic expert, is that the emphasis is on cutting but the emphasis should be on growing the economy as GDP is more likely to fall as a result of the cuts.

ReputationRep:

Tory cuts? I'm sure you've missed out a letter 'n' from that.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think the state is going to stay around roughly the same size or a bit smaller just not by much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    The cuts aren't that deep, to be fair. Cutting public spending is what any reasonable person would do in a situation like this one, although there are some arguments as to how fast or slowly we should try to tackle the structural deficit, seeing as we are still in a period of low growth.

That is where, I suppose, the criticisms of the cuts being 'ideological' comes from. Anyway, I can't remember the exact numbers (too lazy to look up), but it is amazingly small considering the full scope of government spending; so I'm rather confused as to why they warranted such opposition (even the biggest protest in Britian ever!), but whatever.
    It's the little things, really.

Well, not just little things. I mean, County Durham is losing 1600 public sector jobs in the next couple of years.

Little things maybe like rural areas losing bus services on an evening (Mon-Sat) and all day Sunday.

Little things like leisure centres and other public services closing.

I mean, from April 19th, due to spending cuts, I will not be able to go out. I will not be able to work on an evening or a Sunday. Nobody here will.

ReputationRep:
    "The first cut is the deepest" :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I'm not sure what kind of response you want to this; I understand you are being affected by the cuts, but really, they have to be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D.R.E)
    I'm not sure what kind of response you want to this; I understand you are being affected by the cuts, but really, they have to be done.
    I just don't think the cuts are small, really.

I seriously fear for the next ten years or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I just don't think the cuts are small, really.

I seriously fear for the next ten years or so.
    3.6% over 5 years in real terms, or a £40bn cash increase?

How is that not small?

ReputationRep:
    Ball deep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    3.6% over 5 years in real terms, or a £40bn cash increase?

How is that not small?
    I mean not small in the way they're affecting services, etc.

Maybe it's going to be felt more in the North-East due to our reliance on the public sector.

I can't wait to get out of here, the future is very, very bleak

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.