Turn on thread page Beta

Tory cuts: How deep are they? watch

• View Poll Results: Tory cuts - how deep are they?
    The state is being cut by 50% or more
    13.33%
    25% - 49% cut
    5.00%
    5% - 24% cut
    35.00%
    4% or less is being cut
    18.33%
    The size of the state is staying the same
    6.67%
    The size of the state is actually increasing
    21.67%
    Don't know
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    Maybe then we can move into a discussion about how ideologically motivated they may or may not be.
    What does that even mean? How do you have politics without ideology? Or is there an absolute proven way to sort a country's finances out that i'm missing?

ReputationRep:
    They aren't that deep, but the problem is where they are falling.

The cuts will disproportionality hit the poorer and most vulnerable in society.

They will hit parts of the coutnry that already have problems in those areas (cutting a few bus services in London won't make much difference because of how vast the transport network is there, but cutting a few bus services in more rural areas will make a huge difference because that is all there is).

They will hit front line services that many people rely on.

(Original post by ilickbatteries)
    It's the little things, really.

Well, not just little things. I mean, County Durham is losing 1600 public sector jobs in the next couple of years.

Little things maybe like rural areas losing bus services on an evening (Mon-Sat) and all day Sunday.

Little things like leisure centres and other public services closing.

I mean, from April 19th, due to spending cuts, I will not be able to go out. I will not be able to work on an evening or a Sunday. Nobody here will.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WelshBluebird)
    They aren't that deep, but the problem is where they are falling.

The cuts will disproportionality hit the poorer and most vulnerable in society.

They will hit parts of the coutnry that already have problems in those areas (cutting a few bus services in London won't make much difference because of how vast the transport network is there, but cutting a few bus services in more rural areas will make a huge difference because that is all there is).

They will hit front line services that many people rely on.

This.
    Maybe lefty councils should sack a few more diversity officers and gay and lesbian outreach workers instead of dinner ladies?

Here's a very thorough investigation by Andrew Gilligan.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...sand-cuts.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    Maybe lefty councils should sack a few more diversity officers and gay and lesbian outreach workers instead of dinner ladies?
    Except it isn't just "lefty" councils who are having to cut front line services.
    Last I checked somerset council was a Tory council, and they are having to make huge cuts (bus routes, libraries, many jobs, elderly care, road repairs, recycling centres, youth centres etc etc).

ReputationRep:
    Except it isn't just "lefty" councils who are having to cut front line services.
    Last I checked somerset council was a Tory council, and they are having to make huge cuts (bus routes, libraries, many jobs, elderly care, road repairs, recycling centres, youth centres etc etc).
    perhaps you should show us the details...

The cuts are 3% after all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Time Tourist)
    perhaps you should show us the details...

The cuts are 3% after all...
    So you are saying you don't believe that somerset council are making large cuts?

How about:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-12479053

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/somerset...00/8966093.stm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-11175413

http://artsfunding.ning.com/profiles...nd-to-somerset

http://www.cypnow.co.uk/news/1053290...t-75-per-cent/

Yet at the same time:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-12859595

Again, it is not just "lefty" councils who are being hit badly by this, and its not just "lefty" councils who are making bad decisions regarding this.

ReputationRep:
    All councils are being affected but the ones which just happen to either be in the North or are Labour run are being hit more than the South. Ironic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tulley11)
    All councils are being affected but the ones which just happen to either be in the North or are Labour run are being hit more than the South. Ironic.
    Read what I posted above.
    While what you say may be a general trend, there are reasons and exceptions.

1 - In general, Labour areas tend to be poorer, and so tend to rely on council / state services more. So any cuts will be felt harder.
    2 - Tory councils in the south are also being hit hard.

ReputationRep:
    Government spending is actually increasing, just at a considerably lower rate than it would have done under a Labour administration. I said that the state was actually increasing in size, but that's not entirely accurate. It's increasing it's size in real terms but at the same time it's decreasing from the perspective that it's not as big as it was projected to be.

ReputationRep:
    Read what I posted above.
    While what you say may be a general trend, there are reasons and exceptions.

1 - In general, Labour areas tend to be poorer, and so tend to rely on council / state services more. So any cuts will be felt harder.
    2 - Tory councils in the south are also being hit hard.
    ''The councils that face the biggest cuts are still overwhelmingly the poorest in the country, including many London boroughs and northern towns. In contrast, many of the "shire" councils face negligible cuts. Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham, Manchester, Rochdale, Knowsley, Liverpool, St Helens, Doncaster and South Tyneside are among the 36 local authorities that take the maximum cut of 8.9%.

Meanwhile, Dorset gets a 0.25% increase in funding and Windsor and Maidenhead, West Sussex, Wokingham, Richmond upon Thames and Buckinghamshire all get cuts of 1% or below.''

Not all the Tory councils are being hit though. If what you said is true, why is Buckinghamshire (I'm guessing a 'richer' area, I've never been there) is being hit LESS than Doncaster (which, I know for certain is a pretty rough place)
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by U.S Lecce)
    "The first cut is the deepest" :ahee:
    I already made that joke above

ReputationRep:
    ''The councils that face the biggest cuts are still overwhelmingly the poorest in the country, including many London boroughs and northern towns. In contrast, many of the "shire" councils face negligible cuts. Hackney, Tower Hamlets, Newham, Manchester, Rochdale, Knowsley, Liverpool, St Helens, Doncaster and South Tyneside are among the 36 local authorities that take the maximum cut of 8.9%.

Meanwhile, Dorset gets a 0.25% increase in funding and Windsor and Maidenhead, West Sussex, Wokingham, Richmond upon Thames and Buckinghamshire all get cuts of 1% or below.''

Not all the Tory councils are being hit though. If what you said is true, why is Buckinghamshire (I'm guessing a 'richer' area, I've never been there) is being hit LESS than Doncaster (which, I know for certain is a pretty rough place)
    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you in general. Its fairly obvious that the cuts are affected poorer areas more. But part of that is because poorer areas do rely on state / council money more than richer areas. Still doesn't make it right though.

And for anyone who is doubting the real affects these cuts will have on people. As of the 17th of April, many people in rural Somerset who don't drive will be unable to go anywhere after 6pm Mon-Sat, or anywhere at all on a sunday, unless they fork out for a taxi (£40 for a 10 mile round trip that currently costs £5.70 on the bus).

ReputationRep:
    That's because Labour run councils tend to rely on public services more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    That's because Labour run councils tend to rely on public services more.
    So why are they increasing Dorset who might not rely on the services as much?

It's strange how those Labour run areas are being hit the worst but Eric has the cheek to claim that '"By adopting an intelligent and fair approach to the way funding is allocated we have been able to ensure those parts of the country that are most reliant on central funding continue to get the lion's share of the taxpayers' money that is available'

ReputationRep:
    So why are they increasing Dorset who might not rely on the services as much?

It's strange how those Labour run areas are being hit the worst but Eric has the cheek to claim that '"By adopting an intelligent and fair approach to the way funding is allocated we have been able to ensure those parts of the country that are most reliant on central funding continue to get the lion's share of the taxpayers' money that is available'
    Maybe Dorset's not seen enough investment in infrastructure or something recently? There's more to council budgets than "real-time" services, they've also got to plan for the future, plan development strategies, conservation areas and so forth. I'm personally doubtful that it's just pork-barrel politics, maybe Dorset is simply being allocated more funding because it's projected to see a lot of population growth over the next parliamentary term and beyond.

But if it was pork-barrel shenanigans then it's hardly the first time. Look at Labour's investment strategy of "**** the South" over the last 13 years. They didn't slash funding for the South but they did increase funding for many areas of the North (often to little effect in promoting social mobility or economic growth, I might add) for a long time during their government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    I mean not small in the way they're affecting services, etc.

Maybe it's going to be felt more in the North-East due to our reliance on the public sector.

I can't wait to get out of here, the future is very, very bleak
    It'd be very interesting to see the geographic breakdown of people who think that the cuts are/aren't large. (I realise that some poorer areas in the south will feel them too, but generally, it's more the North, especially the North-East).

Myself and my parents all have jobs in the public sector (teaching, working at a local uni and working for the council) and the scale of the cuts we've seen planned so far is horrible. Everyone's worried about their job, even people who run whole departments or whole schools and thus would expect some job security because of the contribution they make to society and the position they've reached. Things which took a long time to achieve, and serve a useful but niche interest (for example, an LGBT support group which is the only one of its kind in my county) are worried about their existence, because while they fulfill a useful and needed service on paper, in practice they don't actually make any money because of the nature of what they do. We're still waiting for the worst to be announced, but it's galling to have to worry this much about jobs and funding while our (Tory-led) council awards themselves payrises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Maybe Dorset's not seen enough investment in infrastructure or something recently? There's more to council budgets than "real-time" services, they've also got to plan for the future, plan development strategies, conservation areas and so forth.
    Maybe that's true, but you only have to go to places like Middlesbrough and Burnley and see how much peoply need investment. The huge cuts in funding mean that they will never make any plans for the future. Surely the areas which are deprived of any growth and are, frankly, horrible (no offence to those who live there) need the investment more than some Southern council which will probaly be housing a lot of the Conservative supporters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    I'm creating this poll because I'm interested to see how much people think the state is being cut by, if at all. I'm talking about real terms spending here. I'm also talking 2010 - 2015, over the course of the entire parliament.

Maybe then we can move into a discussion about how ideologically motivated they may or may not be.
    You've read that awful Toby Young article, haven't you. Been having drinks with any nurses lately? Lol.

ReputationRep:
    What is so infuriating about Labour opposition to the cuts (16 billion pounds) is that in their election manifesto they outlined plans for 14 billion worth of cuts. So it is complete hypocrisy when we hear about Red Ed complaining about cuts, when he doesn't have the Balls to reveal what they would cut. Anyway, if Labour did win the election they wouldn't have done any cuts because they are so financially indebted to the Unions !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toon Fan)
    What is so infuriating about Labour opposition to the cuts (16 billion pounds) is that in their election manifesto they outlined plans for 14 billion worth of cuts. So it is complete hypocrisy when we hear about Red Ed complaining about cuts, when he doesn't have the Balls to reveal what they would cut. Anyway, if Labour did win the election they wouldn't have done any cuts because they are so financially indebted to the Unions !!
    Again, its not the amount of cuts. Its where they are falling.
    And tbh, the Tories can't say anything about Labours financial links to the Unions when 50% of tory funding comes from the city.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.