Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Black Chicks/People + Skin Bleaching - Question..[Sensible people] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VansHalfCabs)
    But bleaching her kids skin at such a young age is right? Regardless of this 'valid reason'?

I'd understand..say her kids were older of an age say 18..possibly 17 where they can make up their own mind..but thats frankly ridiculous..

In regards to her..thats her own choice... but the kids aspect is overly wrong imo.
    You don't think parents should do what they believe to be best for their kids? Maybe she was bullied at school for being black and wants to save them the trauma.

ReputationRep:
    I am a dark skinned Caribbean and I am so tired of being called primitive, ugly, ghetto. So fed up! I am a human being too and it is not surprising that some girls with low self worth feel the need to bleach their skin. Being white is not the Holy Grail. It is a skin colour that is all. I think that we need to concentrate on our family units and education and not on superficial nonsense.

Only two days ago I was arguing on here on a thread bashing black women. I stated that I have dated many white men to be told by white members that:

1) I must have paid them
    2) They are blind
    3) Am I a prostitute?

Why are black women treated with such contempt when many of us work so damn hard for our families. Why do some white men think they are superior to us?

Black skin and black features are beautiful and if someone does not like them (regardless of skin colour), they are simply not worth your time. But I agree that as a race we uphold this stupidity.

Get educated ladies and have your pick of men

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humanrights)
    200 years ago when slavery was abolished most white people had never even heard of the slave trade.

i doubt most white people had even heard of africa, let alone had opinions of black people.

slavery was a business partnership between rich white slave traders and dominant african tribal leaders who sold their captives-- before rich white elites started buying slaves from africa, it was poor white people who worked the plantations.

all slaves throughout history-black or white- were relegated to lower status. it has nothing to do with skin colour. skin colour was simply a way to identify slaves in america because the slaves at that time happened to be black.
    Most white people didn’t know what a slave was? What!?!
    Right I’m not auguring the slave trade with you because to be honest I don’t think you have done a lot of research into it and don’t really know what you’re on about. Your right about the slave trade starting as a trade between countries but it ended up as exploitation to the extreme. There are a lot of things that went on and I don’t think you know about it all or as much as you’re think you do. I’m not trying to be rude or belittling I just really don’t think you know about it all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u02dpb7)
    I am a dark skinned Caribbean and I am so tired of being called primitive, ugly, ghetto. So fed up! I am a human being too and it is not surprising that some girls with low self worth feel the need to bleach their skin. Being white is not the Holy Grail. It is a skin colour that is all. I think that we need to concentrate on our family units and education and not on superficial nonsense.

Only two days ago I was arguing on here on a thread bashing black women. I stated that I have dated many white men to be told by white members that:

1) I must have paid them
    2) They are blind
    3) Am I a prostitute?

Why are black women treated with such contempt when many of us work so damn hard for our families. Why do some white men think they are superior to us?

Black skin and black features are beautiful and if someone does not like them (regardless of skin colour), they are simply not worth your time. But I agree that as a race we uphold this stupidity.

Get educated ladies and have your pick of men

you sound like white troll pretending to be black and stirring up race hate against white men.

:holmes:

ReputationRep:
    you sound like white troll pretending to be black and stirring up race hate against white men.

:holmes:
    Lol I am black, I don't hate anybody. Why would I hate white men?

The thread is below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...597249&page=12

It was a few members not the entire race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khaysha-Saine)
    Most white people didn’t know what a slave was? What!?!
    Right I’m not auguring the slave trade with you because to be honest I don’t think you have done a lot of research into it and don’t really know what you’re on about. Your right about the slave trade starting as a trade between countries but it ended up as exploitation to the extreme. There are a lot of things that went on and I don’t think you know about it all or as much as you’re think you do. I’m not trying to be rude or belittling I just really don’t think you know about it all.

i know all about the slave trade. what do you think the world was like 200 years ago? like now?

the slave trade was a private venture between rich white europeans who purchased african captives, and african tribal leaders who were willing to sell their captives.

slavery was about cheap labour, and the cheapest possible labour on the planet at the time was the african labour because african tribal leaders were willing to sell their captives.

the vast majority of white people 200 years ago were in dire poverty themselves. why would they have been worried about rich white people and their business?

ReputationRep:
    Lol I am black, I don't hate anybody. Why would I hate white men?

The thread is below:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...597249&page=12

It was a few members not the entire race.

yeah, sure.

but what about the arabs? they actually enslaved 10s of millions africans. why not rant about them?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, sure.

but what about the arabs? they actually enslaved 10s of millions africans. why not rant about them?
    Have you quoted the wrong person? I am not ranting about slavery :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I have never wanted to be a different shade to how I am. I don't understand the want to be a different colour. I don't think that this kind of thing is as common as it once was tbh. We have examples of beautiful black people of every shade, body type, features, hair type etc... so it is a shame that people still have this mentality. I also hear that it is really bad in asian countries.
    That video really annoyed me though. These women are all beautiful. Why change that beauty? To see that women bleaching her kids made me want to take them away from her. She has given them a complex and made them ashamed of their blackness. It is disgusting. I think that as a parent you should be reminding your child of how beautiful they are regardless of what race you (or they) are. You should in still in them a sense of self worth and inner peace.
    I would also like to point out to those who aren't black that this is not an accepted part of "black culture" and is done by a minority who are not usually so open about this as it is frowned upon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    You don't think parents should do what they believe to be best for their kids? Maybe she was bullied at school for being black and wants to save them the trauma.
    Its the 21st century. Trauma? What trauma exactly?

Sorry but no way would I be bleaching my son's skin because of the supposed 'perceptions' of people/society, if she has issues herself then cool but frankly as I said before its vile that she's doing that to her kids..

If a situation is so bad, there are plenty of other ways to combat it, not every black kid is a hoodrat/gang member or whatever perceptions she said that people were carrying. Smh.

You still are detracting away from my original question to you? Do you think its right that she is doing that to her kids regardless?

ReputationRep:
    Have you quoted the wrong person? I am not ranting about slavery :confused:

no, you were ranting about white men. but, as you are white, i ask, why not rant about arab men, who treat blacks worse?

clearly, your rants are inspired by bigoted views on slavery.

ReputationRep:
    You still are detracting away from my original question to you? Do you think its right that she is doing that to her kids regardless?
    I think I'm not in a position to judge it.

ReputationRep:
    no, you were ranting about white men. but, as you are white, i ask, why not rant about arab men, who treat blacks worse?

clearly, your rants are inspired by bigoted views on slavery.
    That is an illogical statement, one opinion does not correlate with the other. If anything I was ranting about the treatment of black women full stop. I mentioned white men in relation to the thread I then directed you to.

I have no experience of arab men treating black women as inferior so I could not possibly comment. I have no hostility towards white people, I was born in the UK, live in rural areas and my bf is white. It does not however change the facts. So no I am afraid that I do not fit your stereotype of crazy white basher sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    I think I'm not in a position to judge it.
    How ironic. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    How ironic. :facepalm2:
    That usually means they think yes. SownRose chick why not just be open and say it?

Its a debate..

ReputationRep:
    That is an illogical statement, one opinion does not correlate with the other. If anything I was ranting about the treatment of black women full stop. I mentioned white men in relation to the thread I then directed you to.

I have no experience of arab men treating black women as inferior so I could not possibly comment. I have no hostility towards white people, I was born in the UK, live in rural areas and my bf is white. It does not however change the facts. So no I am afraid that I do not fit your stereotype of crazy white basher sorry

forgive me. i spend a lot of time of forums where white people are constantly insulted. so i get paranoid.......

ReputationRep:
    There's always gonna be people not happy with what they've got...Its sad but true. Attitudes need to change all this 'ideal image of beauty' thing is a load of rubbish.Sure people are at perfect liberty to do want they want with their bodies I just wish some people would realize they DON'T NEED TO CHANGE WHO THEY ARE they are beautiful already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roflhahalol)
    That usually means they think yes. SownRose chick why not just be open and say it?

Its a debate..
    I think it's her kid and there is obviously a reason she is doing it; if she believes she's acting in the kid's best interest then yes, it is the right thing.

ReputationRep:
    forgive me. i spend a lot of time of forums where white people are constantly insulted. so i get paranoid.......
    That's cool. For the record I don't think its okay for any race to be insulted, it's all wrong. But I know what you mean about the paranoia.

ReputationRep:
    That's cool. For the record I don't think its okay for any race to be insulted, it's all wrong. But I know what you mean about the paranoia.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.