Turn on thread page Beta

Provisional driving license = Provisional motorcyle license? watch

    • Thread Starter


    I have a UK Provisional Driving License and want to eventually have a motorcycle license.

    Does this count as a provisional motorcyle license too? On the front on number 9, it says:


    On the back, A has a picture of a motorcyle next to it and has from and to dates, (B has car and fkp is blank)... so does this count as my provisional motorcyle license so that I can take my CBT?

    Also, I'm completely new with all this, so can someone help me out...

    I'm 19 in London/UK. What license should I be going for if I want the least limited license? (in that I can purchase a wider variety of motorbikes (with greater power/engines...w/e)

    Also, if I get my license here in London, can I take the eurostar to france and ride around there without any issues?

    A is the provisional bike license p is your moped license

    This means you can do your CBT.

    Can't help with riding in france, although i was told you need a license for a year to ride out there. I HAVE NO SOURCE FOR THIS, IT COULD BE LIES.

    However any other license questions have a look at the motorbike soc, i wrote most of the info needed in there about bike tests/licenses, sod it, inffo below.

    Bike license stuff
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    To do the motorbike test

    To start with you need to get your provisional licence. This costs £50, and will entitle you to ride a 50cc bike at 16, or a 125cc bike if you are 17 and over, with L plates, once you have taken the correct training.

    Next you need to complete your CBT

    This is a 1 day training course, which is complusary and lasts for 2 years once it is completed. It should cost about £100, and is carried out both on and off road, and teaches you to ride safely. There are 5 parts:
    eye sight
    Learning bike controls
    learning to ride the bike
    Talk about the highway code and bike safety
    Road riding

    Once successfully completed you get a certificate enabling you to ride a bike relevant to your age. You must ride displaying L plates, you can not go on motorways, or carry pillions. If you are 16, you can ride a 50Cc, or a 125cc if your 17 or over.

    Now if you want to get a bigger bike you have to complete your full test. The first stage is to complete your bike theory test- NOTE NOT THE CAR ONE. It costs £31, and is pretty much the same as the car test, although some questions are slightly different. This lasts 2 years, if it runs out, you need to retake it.

    Bike Test

    Once you are 17 you can take your full license. There are a couple of different license types:
    A1 which lets you ride a 125 cc, 11kW / 14.6 Bhp bike, without L plates, you can carry passengers.
    A2 which is the "Standard Motorcycle" test. Which allows you to ride a bike restricted to 33 Bhp for 2 years, and then your license is upgraded to a category A license. Can be done at 17
    A which is the "Direct Access" test, you have to be over 21, and when passed means you can ride anything.

    If you reach 21 before your 2 years are up, you can do your accelerated access, which means once passed you can ride anything.

    Lessons – you can learn by yourself, or lessons with an instructor like car lessons, or you can do an intensive course

    The motorbike test are the same, all that differs is the size of bike you take your test on. The bike tests have 2 parts.

    Module 1- from 15.50
    You must take with you your CBT certificate (DL196), your Theory and Hazard Perception Test pass certificate (less than 2 years old) and a valid licence. You must also be wearing suitable clothing. This covers manual handling, slalem and a figure of 8, cornering, hazard avoidance at 32mph, a U turn, slow riding, and an emergency stop at 32mph.It takes, on average, about 22 minutes. If you've reached the required standard your examiner will issue you with a pass certificate.

    Module 2- from £75
    Is a road ride taking about 40minutes, which assesses your ability to ride safely. You will start with an eye test, then 2 show me, tell me questions., before beginning the ride. You need all the documents you took to module one, plus the equipment.

    Once you pass bike test there are different sorts of bike you can ride, what you get depends on your license and also where you want to ride.

    125cc/250cc for town riding
    Aprilia RS125 (not learner legal as is 33bph when restricted)
    Honda's CBR125
    Yamaha YBR125

    Motorways 400cc plus – if you are on a restricted license you have to restrict these to 33bph, easily done by a garage.

    BANDIT 400
    Suzuki GS500
    Suzuki SV650

    Do not go buy the first bike you see, try different bikes, as different styles suit different people. Please don't go buy an R6, you will probably kill yourself 5 miles down the road.

    By law you need a helmet. You should also get gloves, jacket, trousers, and boots. This doesn't mean full leathers, although these are still considered the best, but at £500 plus for a full suit, it can be expensive. Material protective clothing is a cheaper option, but sacrifices itself in an accident.

    A helmet can cost from £45 although the more expensive ones will offer more protection, be quieter, wind proof, not fog up, can have blue tooth, an a sun visor built in.

    Gloves can cost from £30, you want leather gloves, with amour in the knuckles.

    Jackets cost from £60, you want textile or leather, with built in body amour, this will help absorb the impact of an accident.

    Trousers can be over trousers or instead of your normal trousers, and can cost from £40. Draggin jeans are an option, but while they will save your skin, you may still shatter your knee caps on impact, so you should look into some amour inserts for the point of impact, ie your knees,

    Boots. I'll be honest, I spent 3 years wearing hiking boots before finding a pair that fitted me. You can get boots from about £50, and the idea is in a crash they will hold your feet together. Trainers will not do this.

    Body armour is something you can use to increase your safety, for example a back protector (as made by knox or forcefield) could save your life, and possibly prevent you from being paralysed.

    If your male, its gonna be high.
    Insurance depends on the bike (smaller=cheaper) age (older=cheaper) how you lock it (is it alarmed, disc locked, locked to an immovable object with a chain, go to a price comparison site, put in some details and see what it says, this is the most accurate way of giving you an idea of what insurance will cost. On the plus size, its cheaper than a car (normally)

    Motorbiking is not the cheapest hobby, you have insurance, road tax, petrol, plus the maintenance. If you can fix bikes yourself, such as using a haynes manual, it will work out cheaper. Good equipment lasts years, so it pays to invest if you are planning to bike long term. If you get a faired bike and you crash it, its going to cost a lot.


    You should be able to take your CBT on a provisional license.
    • PS Helper

    PS Helper
    If you want the least limited licence you can go for direct access on a higher powered bike when you're 21. If not you are restricted for 2 years after passing, or if you turn 21 before the 2 years is up, you can do direct access and the restriction ends. I think.. not an expert as I only have a car licence. Pretty sure you can do CBT on that licence, it's a standard one that you get whatever category you want to learn in.

    As others have said, the category A on your licence means you're entitled to ride motorbikes under provisional licence conditions.

    Regarding riding in France after passing your test, your full cat. A licence (when you get it) is valid anywhere in the EU, so providing you have valid insurance that covers you on French roads and you respect local laws, you can ride there.

    Be aware of differing age limits for driving in other countries, though.

    (Original post by Advisor)
    As others have said, the category A on your licence means you're entitled to ride motorbikes under provisional licence conditions.
    *when you've done CBT.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 8, 2011
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.