Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

English Lit As watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Yeah, of course it is! Coursework is only 80 UMS out of 200. You're probably looking at roughly 60/80 UMS, so you'll need to get 100/120 UMS in the exam.

They must've got some very high Ds, as getting 40/80 UMS would mean you've had to get 120/120 in the exam . . .
    They both got nigh on full marks in the exam and pretty high Ds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by canthardlywait)
    wow, was the exam that hard.
    Well it was my second time doing the exam- my whole year got Us/Ds the first time round, too. The second time we all thought it went a lot better, but still all got Ds. We had to get the chief examiner in to talk to our teachers.

Maybe it's just our school, I don't mean to scare you or anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazular)
    If you're doing AQA you might as well just quit now-.- Their exams are ridiculous- national average for January exams was one mark into the D range.
    I do WJEC and it was the same for the questions my college did :/

ReputationRep:
    In all the essays we have been set, i can't seem to get higher than a B grade. I don't understand why but the teacher always writes comments like "not the best way of expressing", or "not very clear", she marks my work as if she's playing dumb, i mean if I write to directly my writing will look simplistic.

Can anyone help me out, how do i reach the A standard, and do i really have to write so clearly, that it dumbs my writing style down. Btw i'm doing AQA.
    I'm exactly the same! My teacher does that too.
    What texts are you doing, I'm doing Enduring Love, Gatsby, Tennyson and Rossetti...I'm constantly getting B's and my teacher basically said at parents evening I can't achieve an A (despite me being just on the cusp, between A/B)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lampshade1)
    I'm exactly the same! My teacher does that too.
    What texts are you doing, I'm doing Enduring Love, Gatsby, Tennyson and Rossetti...I'm constantly getting B's and my teacher basically said at parents evening I can't achieve an A (despite me being just on the cusp, between A/B)
    Im doing same as you, text-wise.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing same as you, text-wise.
    well due to my teacher not being of great help, I've started some other threads on the English exam bit, people are now sharing notes/giving top tips, it is really helpful

ReputationRep:
    well due to my teacher not being of great help, I've started some other threads on the English exam bit, people are now sharing notes/giving top tips, it is really helpful
    Wow, i just read through the threads you've started, and people have given lots of really good advice, thanks for letting me know.
    Can i just ask, how are you revising?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, i just read through the threads you've started, and people have given lots of really good advice, thanks for letting me know.
    Can i just ask, how are you revising?
    No problem, happy to help..as I was really struggling too!

I just type up notes and then start trying to put the ideas into practice, plan past questions or write a few paragraphs to sum up ideas...
    I say like I've already done this I haven't :/ plan to revise english properly at some point!! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazular)
    If you're doing AQA you might as well just quit now-.- Their exams are ridiculous- national average for January exams was one mark into the D range.
    Somewhat hard to believe... Reputable source?

Having looked at the January AQA AS Literature B exam, it didn't look bad at all...
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)

Having looked at the January AQA AS Literature B exam, it didn't look bad at all...
    I agree, I didn't think the questions were any more ambiguous than usual.

Although I've always wondered why on earth grade boundaries for AQA English Literature fluctuate, surely they should be roughly the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)

My English teacher told me, but then again she may have just been making excuses for our piss poor performance. Our highest mark in the whole sixth form was one below a C.

ReputationRep:
    No problem, happy to help..as I was really struggling too!

I just type up notes and then start trying to put the ideas into practice, plan past questions or write a few paragraphs to sum up ideas...
    I say like I've already done this I haven't :/ plan to revise english properly at some point!! :P
    Hi
    Could i just ask, how are you revising your poetry. Are you memorising all the notes, rhyme schemes for each? Or are you familiarising yourself a decent amount with each?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.