Turn on thread page Beta

A-level choices help? Russell Group Black-Lists?! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHaylio)
    Also- my 6form leader said there is no point taking Critical Thinking as an extra AS for 1 hour a week? She said it would be better to devote my time to homework etc.

Agree, Disagree?
    I remember looking at requirments on UCAS when applying...was excluded in a lot...and general studies to
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Also- my 6form leader said there is no point taking Critical Thinking as an extra AS for 1 hour a week? She said it would be better to devote my time to homework etc.

Agree, Disagree?
    Agree. Majority of unis don't accept critical thinking nor general studies.

If you want to go to top uni, don't bother doing them. Unless you have plenty of free time to waste.

(This is because top unis don't usually like GS or CT so it wouldnt help you)

It's pointless.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=hannahsl;30745655]
    (Original post by mevidek)
    I'm pretty sure it is the same for all Russell Group Universities

I got offers from 4 Russell Group Universities and I do a soft subject, the above people did soft subjects, so to be honest I think you're point is pretty pointless.
    plus what school did you go to (comprehensive or grammar etc.)? Plus what results did you get?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    yeah, but say law in Oxford. They would reject you if you did law at A-level (most likely)
    No they wouldn't. They don't like it but universities don't just see the set of subjects you chose and instantly reject you if they see something out of the ordinary, they would only reject you on the basis of choices if you don't meet the requirements and even then they consider you

ReputationRep:
    I know a guy who got into Cambridge to read English with Eng. Lit, Film Studies, Theatre Studies. He was exceptional though, I believe he got the highest mark in the country on his film exam. But still...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    No they wouldn't. They don't like it but universities don't just see the set of subjects you chose and instantly reject you if they see something out of the ordinary, they would only reject you on the basis of choices if you don't meet the requirements and even then they consider you
    Exactly my point, actual grades are more important than subjects! At last somebody with some sense!

ReputationRep:
    So is Drama 'soft'?

And Economics?

I am definitely going to do maths, i was just putting it in the scenario of something going wrong and then me having to do Drama to A2.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher has said i am capable of getting into a Russell Group university, providing i work hard.

However, i am worried about my choice of options. I want to know whether my combination will ruin my chances of getting in:

-Maths
    -Economics
    -History
    -Drama and Theatre studies ( Only for AS - unless something goes wrong)

I am not sure whether Economics and Drama would be allowed as they are not 'traditional' a-levels are they?

I will maybe take Spanish instead of Drama, but i think i will miss acting and regret not doing it when i see other people going off to have fun!

Thanks!
    economics, history and maths are very academic and wont be thought of as lesser by any university. keep up drama along with those 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tateco)
    ok, but if you have lots of soft subjects then your chances are GREATLY decreased.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but say law in Oxford. They would reject you if you did law at A-level (most likely)
    lol

where did you get this idea from?

ReputationRep:
    Your choices are good solid subjects.
    I do History, Politics and Law and both Politics and Law are considered 'A-levels of a more limited suitability' (Trinity List, Cambridge) yet I received an offer from Warwick which I have firmed and I had an interview at Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahsl)
    Exactly my point, actual grades are more important than subjects! At last somebody with some sense!
    As far as I know it's not that simple. According to "Informed Choices" (I mentioned this earlier) there are certain subjects called "facilitating subjects" which can be particularly useful for gaining entry.

Here is the list the document gives :

• Mathematics and Further Maths
    • English
    • Physics
    • Biology
    • Chemistry
    • Geography
    • History
    • Languages (Classical and Modern)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahsl)
    There are absolutely LOADS of people who get into Russell Group Universities who have done a soft subject for A Level!
    Hell I did Sociology and got an offer!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that any Russell Group University would want a student who previously did a soft subject, no matter what course.
    Well, by that you're saying that no Russell Group university offers a 'soft subject'.

Media seems to be the archetypal 'soft' subject.

Yet, there are Russell Group universities that offer it. Typically, those doing a Media degree will have taken something along the lines of Media, Film, Art, etc at A-Level.

Therefore, Russell Group universities do want students who have previously done a 'soft subject'.

Also, I know I say this in every Russell Group thread, but the Russell Group is not the be all and end all of universities. There are universities in the 1994 group that are far better than universities in the Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilickbatteries)
    Well, by that you're saying that no Russell Group university offers a 'soft subject'.

Media seems to be the archetypal 'soft' subject.

Yet, there are Russell Group universities that offer it. Typically, those doing a Media degree will have taken something along the lines of Media, Film, Art, etc at A-Level.

Therefore, Russell Group universities do want students who have previously done a 'soft subject'.

Also, I know I say this in every Russell Group thread, but the Russell Group is not the be all and end all of universities. There are universities in the 1994 group that are far better than universities in the Russell Group.
    I'm not saying they don't offer soft subjects, but they are not happy if you do lots of soft subjects previously.

ReputationRep:
    mevidek hope you don't mind if I quote this. Actually as a law-learner, I wonder why they call it soft subject when there are alot to learn lol. In the end, is that really concerned as a non-preferred one?

ReputationRep:
    My teacher has said i am capable of getting into a Russell Group university, providing i work hard.

However, i am worried about my choice of options. I want to know whether my combination will ruin my chances of getting in:

-Maths
    -Economics
    -History
    -Drama and Theatre studies ( Only for AS - unless something goes wrong)

I am not sure whether Economics and Drama would be allowed as they are not 'traditional' a-levels are they?

I will maybe take Spanish instead of Drama, but i think i will miss acting and regret not doing it when i see other people going off to have fun!

Thanks!
    You have 3 traditional subjects as far as I know maths, economics and history are very good and well known Alevels, which are recognised well. Have you tried looking at LSE's blacklist on there site? Might be an indicator

ReputationRep:
    I'm not saying they don't offer soft subjects, but they are not happy if you do lots of soft subjects previously.
    I do three 'soft' subjects and I got 3 offers from 1994 group universities. Less of a comparison, I know, because they're not in the RG, but I'm sure there aren't that many admissions differences between the top 1994 group universities and the RG universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anh.cris)
    mevidek hope you don't mind if I quote this. Actually as a law-learner, I wonder why they call it soft subject when there are alot to learn lol. In the end, is that really concerned as a non-preferred one?
    yeah I know. I do law at GCSE but there is a hell of a lot of work

And no I don't mind

ReputationRep:
    I did Sociology AS and do Psychology Biology and English Lit A2...that's two non-traditional subjects...I have offers from 5 Russell Group Uni's...I heard of someone who got accepted to do psychology at oxford with psychology, english and theatre studies A level so there's not hard and fast rule, economics is well respected but it really depends on what you want to apply for, History and Maths are very transferable, with those A levels you could do History, Economics, Business Studies, Drama, Maths, Sociology, Criminology, Law, you could pretty much do anything, doing a range shows that you are a diverse pupil, you don't need to worry, do what you want to do!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.