Turn on thread page Beta

A-level choices help? Russell Group Black-Lists?! watch

ReputationRep:
    I did fine art. Got an offer from cambridge. So i'm guessing no problem for you? You still have 3 other good subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheHaylio)
    My teacher has said i am capable of getting into a Russell Group university, providing i work hard.

However, i am worried about my choice of options. I want to know whether my combination will ruin my chances of getting in:

-Maths
    -Economics
    -History
    -Drama and Theatre studies ( Only for AS - unless something goes wrong)

I am not sure whether Economics and Drama would be allowed as they are not 'traditional' a-levels are they?

I will maybe take Spanish instead of Drama, but i think i will miss acting and regret not doing it when i see other people going off to have fun!

Thanks!
    Fine choices as long you don't drop Maths, Economics or History. I picked Psychology for my fourth subject even though it is a 'soft' subject because I like it :P

(Original post by mevidek)
    no... there are subjects that universities do not like, for example at GCSE level BTECs or Diplomas, or at A-level Law (soft subject).
    See my sig. :fyi:

ReputationRep:

plus what school did you go to (comprehensive or grammar etc.)? Plus what results did you get?
    I go to a comprehensive school, I am the First medicine applicant from my school in 11 years and most people in my year don't even go to university.

I got 3A*s 6As 1B and 1C in my GCSEs. I got BCCE in my AS levels and I'm Predicted AABb in my A-Levels. I'm predicted a B in ICT but they gave me an offer even though their standard offer is AAAb.

ReputationRep:
    i did Music tech at AS level, and got a D :L

and i had offers from Notts and Newcastle in the RG.

So i think you will be fine asong as you have 3 strong A2 subjects

ReputationRep:
    no... there are subjects that universities do not like, for example at GCSE level BTECs or Diplomas, or at A-level Law (soft subject).
    A-level law isn't necessarily soft, it's more that it gets people into bad habits and they have to unteach things if you want to study it at uni.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    ok, but if you have lots of soft subjects then your chances are GREATLY decreased.
    You said if they had law they would most likely to be rejected. This was untrue, you did not say a majority of soft subjects would get you rejected, that's called stating the obvious.

ReputationRep:
    My teacher has said i am capable of getting into a Russell Group university, providing i work hard.

However, i am worried about my choice of options. I want to know whether my combination will ruin my chances of getting in:

-Maths
    -Economics
    -History

I am not sure whether Economics and Drama would be allowed as they are not 'traditional' a-levels are they?

I will maybe take Spanish instead of Drama, but i think i will miss acting and regret not doing it when i see other people going off to have fun!

Thanks!
    http://trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604

Those are Trinity college's guidelines. In my experience, your A-levels would be fine for any Russell Group uni as long as you did well in them. You actually have a wide range of subject types, which is good. It's not as if you're doing maths, further maths, economics and physics (not that there's anything wrong with that). You're obviously an all-rounder, which universities will like.

ReputationRep:
    Do not do critical thinking or general studies, i repeat do not do critical thinking or general studies!!!!

ReputationRep:

-Maths
    -Economics
    -History

Thanks!
    To be honest, you can do Drama as an extra-curricular and then do the same at uni.

I advise taking Spanish instead.

ReputationRep:

Thanks!
    I thought economics was highly regarded by universities.

Plus you could always join a theatre group for your spare time or maybe your sixth form could have one for enrichment (usually wednesday afternoons)

(Original post by loquita)
    Do not do critical thinking or general studies, i repeat do not do critical thinking or general studies!!!!
    For what it's worth, I think that Critical Thinking can be worthwhile - the skills it teaches you are applicable to a number of the admissions tests, including the LNAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    For what it's worth, I think that Critical Thinking can be worthwhile - the skills it teaches you are applicable to a number of the admissions tests, including the LNAT.
    no it not, unis don't even recognize it. For me and many other in my school only a handful achieved As and Bs the rest got Ds and Es. Do you know how ugly it looks on my ucas application and the amount of time i spent on such a worthless subject. Fair enough I know what a slippery slope is and a few other things but that still doesn't matter. :mad:

(Original post by loquita)
    no it not, unis don't even recognize it. For me and many other in my school only a handful achieved As and Bs the rest got Ds and Es. Do you know how ugly it looks on my ucas application and the amount of time i spent on such a worthless subject. Fair enough I know what a slippery slope is and a few other things but that still doesn't matter. :mad:
    Not allowing you to use it to meet your offer isn't the same as not recognising it - I accept that it's not regarded as highly as traditional subjects such as History and Maths, but that doesn't mean that it's not of value.

I did Critical Thinking at A Level and it seems very hit-and-miss in terms of the results that people achieve, so I understand where you're coming from. However, that's really a problem with the way in which the subject is taught and assessed rather than the content of the A Level itself. Even if there wasn't a qualification at the end of it, I still think that the logic and reasoning skills that it teaches you make it worthy of study.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    Not allowing you to use it to meet your offer isn't the same as not recognising it - I accept that it's not regarded as highly as traditional subjects such as History and Maths, but that doesn't mean that it's not of value.

I did Critical Thinking at A Level and it seems very hit-and-miss in terms of the results that people achieve, so I understand where you're coming from. However, that's really a problem with the way in which the subject is taught and assessed rather than the content of the A Level itself. Even if there wasn't a qualification at the end of it, I still think that the logic and reasoning skills that it teaches you make it worthy of study.
    yeah i agree with the logic and reasoning but there shouldn't be an exam studying 5 AS subjects was not easy

ReputationRep:
    yeah, but say law in Oxford. They would reject you if you did law at A-level (most likely)
    I thought this also and rang them to check. As long as 70% of your choices are in the academic list, so Biol, Chem, English, History etc they will consider you for a place the same as everyone else. My sister went to Oxford and did English Lit, Biol and Sociology.

ReputationRep:

-Maths
    -Economics
    -History

Thanks!
    I think you should take drama if you enjoy it. Drama as a fourth is fine, I do it as well and its a great break in my timetable from History and English. You could big it up in your personal statement that drama gave you confidence, and as well as grades uni's (especially Russell Group ones) are looking for a well rounded person as well as an academic. AAA is now the basic for many courses so you need things that make you different from people that sit at home revising all the time, with no hobbies or social lives. You don't want to get half way through your AS year and regret it, so go for it x

ReputationRep:

-Maths
    -Economics
    -History

Thanks!
    Economics is a real subject... or atleast in my opinion.

Drama i find is a real subject. The coursework is really hefty all those essays, coursework.. etc

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.