Turn on thread page Beta

URGENT! Need Food Tech coursework help (AQA) watch

ReputationRep:
    I really need help with AQA GCSE Food Technology coursework/controlled assessment.

I want to know what you have to write after your 3 development practicals and also what you need for your final product evaluation.

I need to get everything done by tonight.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Finished mine this week, great stuff lol!

After you have written about your development ideas, you then have to make a 'specific product specification'. I'm assuming when you were given your design brief (which one did you choose btw?) You had made a 'design criteria, however, now you know what your components are going to be, you have to make one specific to your actual final design solution. In detail. So, you're talking about size, nutrition, mass production, your user market, the texture and appearance etc.

If you have space or on the next page and if you haven't done it previously, you have to do a functions of ingredients little essay so to speak. Depending on the complexity of your dish, I'd consider delving into a few ingredients with great detail instead of giving facile on loads of them. So, if you're gonna talk about yeast in bread, get into the chemistry of it and don't go rambling on about how herbs give the bread extra flavour because of their seasoning. Just leave it...

Then, after you've done that you have a flow diagram showing how you would make the product. I.e if you're making pasta or something, you'd just have:

[Lay out all ingredients: (list the ingredients]
    [Chop tomatoes]

All that stuff but um, remember HACCAP? Use that within it, so you'd have to make a key, how long you'd fry/grill things would have to be on there too. The more detail, the higher the grade.

Then, you have to do some form of nutritional analysis specific to your target market... Try and link it back to your research. So, like, say if when you started researching the brief, you may have done a product dissassembly which told you that cup cakes in the market generally contain x calories but the RDA calories for your target market is Y, but because X is quite high and takes up quite a large part of Y, when you made your final product, you changed certain elements of it could be the butter/the sugar whatevs...

Then obviously: your final solution. In depth. What went well/what didn't go so well, potential improvements, how would your product do if it was unleashed into the market tomorrow morning, what would manufacturers have to think about? Sensory diagrams evaluating your product against your target markets wants. Etc...

I think that's all. Just remember that the less you do when evaluating, the more detail, the more detail, the higher your mark

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, that is so much better than anything my teacher has told me over a whole year.

I doubt I'm going to get a good grade in this.... I didn't even want to take it (it was the best thing in the option block).

I picked school meals. I doubt my coursework is even a C seeing how much detail you have told me to add.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george..)
    Thanks, that is so much better than anything my teacher has told me over a whole year.

I doubt I'm going to get a good grade in this.... I didn't even want to take it (it was the best thing in the option block).

I picked school meals. I doubt my coursework is even a C seeing how much detail you have told me to add.
    They really shouldn't do that, if I was forced to do it, I'd be raging!
    But try and make as many amendments tonight if you have to because it's 60% of your final grade and you know how the food exam can be a tad ambiguous this summer, if you pick up all your marks now, you'll be able to stabilise your grade

What have you done so far and do you know how the marks are allocated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WizardOfOz#1)
    They really shouldn't do that, if I was forced to do it, I'd be raging!
    But try and make as many amendments tonight if you have to because it's 60% of your final grade and you know how the food exam can be a tad ambiguous this summer, if you pick up all your marks now, you'll be able to stabilise your grade

What have you done so far and do you know how the marks are allocated?
    A few pieces of research, design ideas, write ups of test products I made, flow chart of final production plan, not much really.

And only from my own research, I think the design and development is the most and research the least? Which seems strange as we have spent a lot of time on research.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by george..)
    A few pieces of research, design ideas, write ups of test products I made, flow chart of final production plan, not much really.

And only from my own research, I think the design and development is the most and research the least? Which seems strange as we have spent a lot of time on research.
    Oh right, it's not as shockingly bad as you're making out I bet. If it is, then you can pull an all nighter ...

The mark break down is as follows:

Investigating the design opportunity: 8 marks
    Development and design proposals: 32 marks
    Making: 32 marks
    Testing and Evaluation: 12 marks
    Communication: 6 marks

What did you cook as you went along? Because a majority of your marks actually stem from the different skills you show. So, I had to make 6 design ideas and I made stuff ranging from a chocolate fondant to poached fish although I knew my final product would be a curry just so I could pick up most of the marks if you know what I mean?

Also, make sure your powerpoints neat lol. I'm a presentation freak but still 6 marks is the difference between a grade. So spelling and just having a them that relates to your target market ....

We also spent the whole of year 10 doing research right, then we just had to belt out the other 78 marks in record time LOL... it is doable though, no doubt...

Did you do a task analysis when you got your brief?

ReputationRep:
    hi people, my coursework is already late and due in, i havent yet completed my production plan, my personal design brief or my design specification. everything else is complete for example my design ideas and my developments and an evalauation. if i just complete my production plan, do you think i could scrape a C if i do well in the exam? how much % will i loose from not FULLY completing the coursework?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.