Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are either of these two universities prestigious at all abroad?

Which degree sounds like it is worth the investment?

UPENN: Master of Environmental Science, concentration in Environmental Geology and GIS

NORTHWESTERN: Master of Public Policy and Administration, concentration in Urban Policy and Planning.

UPenn will be a lot of debt, Northwestern, not so much.

Which degree sounds like it would be beneficial in this turbulent world economy?

Which school looks better abroad in case I want to ditch the States and cross the pond?

Which school is more well known, academically recognized and commands more prestige in the marketplace?

Thanks....

ReputationRep:
    UPenn, If you do any modules at Wharton you'll be well on your way :P

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably take a course or two at Wharton, and help out at their cartographic modeling lab they have there.

Would taking courses at the Wharton school but not graduating from there help me out when looking for jobs?

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much you stress it, ofc a degree at Wharton entirely is much much better, but im sure wharton as name is more widely known that the other uni, so even a few courses done there could help you out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimeDivided09)
    NORTHWESTERN: Master of Public Policy and Administration, concentration in Urban Policy and Planning.
    Yes: No

ReputationRep:
    care to explain further plz

ReputationRep:
    Both are considered to be highly prestigious...but I think that UPenn > Northwestern...

ReputationRep:
    Now that we have that much established.

Which degree seems more like a lucrative investment?

I am interested in both so I can be happy with either choice. I just need to know which one can better pay off the debt I will accrue and help me land a nice job in this turbulent economy.

ReputationRep:
    care to explain further plz
    Not really, but if you aren't aware, Northwestern isn't very strong for MPP/MPA degrees, it's almost forgotten amongst MPP/MPA applicants. There some prestigious ones at WWS, HKS, etc, but some are also very manageable to get into that are much better than Northwestern (i.e. Ford, Maxwell, GPPI, GWU, Harris). If you're specifically interested in urban policy and management, look at HKS, GWU, SIPA. If you're interested in planning, don't do an MPP/MPA. Neither urban planning or GIS is very lucrative, but between the two in terms of getting a better rate of return, then an MPP is probably the better investment unless you have a strong quant/econ/hard science background and do the environmental science program at UPenn.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent advice, drive.

What about an MPA with a Health Policy and Administration specialization?

ReputationRep:
    Excellent advice, drive.

What about an MPA with a Health Policy and Administration specialization?
    Same thing really, any MPA is pretty much a economics and management degree in the context of the specialization, but that's still pretty far off focus from urban development/planning... what are you looking to do exactly?

ReputationRep:
    All I know is public policy and research. I am an assistant statician at a public policy think tank. I love my job and would like to work in some sort of management position for a pubic agency or non-profit. A hospital would be right up my alley too.

Urban Planning was more of a pipe dream and infatuation with doing something creative.

I would do health policy and administration if it was more lucrative.

ReputationRep:
    All I know is public policy and research. I am an assistant statician at a public policy think tank. I love my job and would like to work in some sort of management position for a pubic agency or non-profit. A hospital would be right up my alley too.

Urban Planning was more of a pipe dream and infatuation with doing something creative.

I would do health policy and administration if it was more lucrative.
    Have a look at the MPP at Heinz (CMU) GPPI (Gtown) or Sanford (Duke) for health MPPs - all are very manageable to get into and are much more reputable than Northwestern in this area. There is also an MPH (public health), but if you are more interested in policy analysis at a think tank, definitely stick to the MPP (not an MPA or MPH).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.