Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Implications paper Religious Studies edexcel A2 which Philosopher?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

For people who does Religious studies A2 edexcel, Does anyone know which philospher (Philosophers are between Donovan, Ayer and Westphal) is gonna come up in the philosophy implications paper for the Summer exam June 2011?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You're not supposed to know - you're meant to study all three and be prepared to answer whichever one comes up. Although you might be able to guess by looking at what's come up in the past... but that's quite risky.

(I'm doing the ethics implications paper btw)

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am concerned it would perhaps be a little too risky to just focus revision on one of the philosophers. In the four years this examination has been running, all of the philosophers have been used and I think, though I am not positive that Ayer is the philosopher that has been used twice.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    which one do you think it is likely to be tho? Apparently Ayer came up only once in a january exam.

ReputationRep:
    There is no way you can work out which one is going to come up, and I really have no idea and am not going to chance my luck by focusing on one, it really could be any of them. Revision wise I have done a bit of googling just put in implications religious studies edexcel and have come up with a few helpful bits.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, to be honest, I don't really think I'll be able to manage all 3 with all the revision for developments I have to do too. (I'm an AS student, taking this exam a year early)
    So if there's any way I can eliminate one philosopher for definite, that'd be great.
    Anyone have any clues?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm... I don't think it would be a good idea to only revise two.

But what you could do is to read them all and try to find stuff that interlinks all three - scholars, themes, ideas, principles etc. Might help ease the load a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that really is a big load developments and implications.
    I am wondering about writing and learning off by heart a generic essay for each philosopher and then tailoring it slightly in the exam according to the paragraph. This I think should be ok for the A01 marks in the part a) and for the part b) I am just going to make sure I know my own views on what the philosopher is saying a few other scholars who agree/disagree and then tailor this to the passage.
    Does this sound like a sensible thing to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyrose018)
    Yeah that really is a big load developments and implications.
    I am wondering about writing and learning off by heart a generic essay for each philosopher and then tailoring it slightly in the exam according to the paragraph. This I think should be ok for the A01 marks in the part a) and for the part b) I am just going to make sure I know my own views on what the philosopher is saying a few other scholars who agree/disagree and then tailor this to the passage.
    Does this sound like a sensible thing to do?
    That's what Im going to do... And then I'll rearrange it for the exam so that the beginning is about the passge they give you but the rest is about the rest of the themes in the texts. I did this for unit 1 and 2, just by learning essays for each topic and then rearranging them to fit the question and I got an A in both. Still struggling writing them now though!

ReputationRep:
    am i right in thinking that if a philosopher came up in jan 11 it cant come up again in june 2011?

if thats the case then westphal wont come up?

ReputationRep:
    unfortunately I don't think it matters what comes up in the Jan it could come up again

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anyone help me please im ****ting myself about this exam and have no past answer questions to compare my own work to has anyone got any of their own past essays they could help me by sending me them thanks xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lydiafuller69)
    Hi can anyone help me please im ****ting myself about this exam and have no past answer questions to compare my own work to has anyone got any of their own past essays they could help me by sending me them thanks xxx
    Same, haven't been given any example answers (same for unit 3 developments, i'm doing life after death, argument from religious experience and Hinduism) :/

ReputationRep:
    Also, I know this much: June 2008 was Ayer, (don't know what 2009 was), June 2010 was donovan, someone wrote on one of these forums that it was Westphal for the jan 2011 (but i don't know how accurate that is) If anyone knows any of the philosophers for the dates I don't have that might be useful in understanding some sort of pattern.

Also I found a sample answer!
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...w.google.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if we get an extract from westphal we will be told whether it is in the Pre-Kantian philosophical theology/Post Kantian reconstructions of the deist project or
    Hume and the hermeneutics of suspicion section. I know for certain extracts it would be totally obvious but I am not sure if it is for all.

Thank You

ReputationRep:
    XD thanks to my teacher who saw my post and wrote a sample answer! :')

ReputationRep:
    I'm ******** myself about this paper. My highest mark in homework essays for this was 35/50. I need an A but I don't even know where to start!

ReputationRep:
    So is it very likely 2 be Ayer this June paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cheekybelle)
    So is it very likely 2 be Ayer this June paper?
    That's what my teacher thinks. I'm revising everything just in case but I'd be very happy with Ayer. It's my best one. Which really isn't saying much.. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    did ur teacher go 2 dat examiners conference 4 dis year? if ur teacher went 2 an examiners conference and they were mainly talkin about Ayer then that probably means Ayer is gonna com up.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 15, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.