Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm 19, I got a jury service summons, I am now into my 4th day on the jury, I have been on a case for 2/3 days now. It's at a crown court so it's generally involving big cases. I can't really say anymore.

Basically, it's stressful, even distressing at times and there is a lot of pressure on me. I know the burden is shared between 12 people but I am part of that. It feels like I'm in a film or on tv when I'm in the court, but then I snap back to reality and realise these are real people we're dealing with, with REAL emotions and regarding REAL issues.

I don't want to feel like I'm doing the wrong thing or thinking the wrong thing. On both sides of the case I have witnessed human emotions, there is no obvious lying or deceit. I don't want the wrong thing to happen. I know all the ins and outs of how it all works and what is going to happen later on in the case, I think I just need some moral support on general issues surrounding this sort of thing. Maybe it isn't clear what I'm on about, maybe you've been on a jury before or maybe you have some good advice. Let's see.

Any comments or questions would be really good, thank you.

ReputationRep:
    My comment is that you probably shouldn't say anything at all about being on jury service especially on a very popular forum like this. Court Service says you must not post details about "any aspect" of your jury service or risk being in contempt. http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/i...e/contempt.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonswimmer)
    My comment is that you probably shouldn't say anything at all about being on jury service especially on a very popular forum like this. Court Service says you must not post details about "any aspect" of your jury service or risk being in contempt. http://www.hmcourts-service.gov.uk/i...e/contempt.htm
    of course you can say that your on jury service, people dont just runaway for days to go do it, go missing from work/uni/home... we'd forever have missing people...
    all that you cant do is say any details... cant say what its about, whose involved, or anything about any discussions which have gone on... it says as much in the link you provided.
    x

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure. Maybe this should be deleted then. It's fine to talk about jury service generally. I haven't said much detail at all. I was mainly focussing on the emotional/humanistic side of the responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    Jealous! I've wanted to do jury service for ages. Doubt I'll get called up.

ReputationRep:
    You can say you're on jury, but don't emphasize the case. My teacher has recently been on jury and it was a murder case, one of the two suspects were found guilty. Base everything you can on the evidence you are given, the psychology behind it and remember to come up with a unanomous or majority decision. It won't only be you punishing someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nonswimmer)
    I expect this refers to details specific to the case itself rather than aspects general to all jury service.

I imagine jury service must be quite tough though. Less because of the emotional side, more because of the neccessity to sit there listening to days worth of evidence, become familiar with the exact law(s) which are supposedly being broken, then process it all sufficiently to be able to debate it with your fellow jurors for however long it takes. For people with less ability to take it all in I imagine it must all be quite overwhelming.

ReputationRep:
    The point of Jury service is that you hear the arguments, see the emotions on both sides and then make a decision. That's what it's about. That's what you have to do.

ReputationRep:
    I've done jury service. It can be stressful, but it sounds as though you are doing all the right things and have a good attitude towards it. You will get the barristers recapping the case on each side at the end, the judge will then sum up and direct you on the questions you need to answer, and you will still have a chance to send questions to him/her if anything comes up while you are discussing in the jury room. Don't panic, I found things really came together towards the end of the trial as more evidence was given.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.