Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im kind of really stuck about which university to chose. Its either Loughborough or Leicester. Im going to be doing Engineering. I mean Loughborough is higher in ranking, but it doesnt seem that good? I need advise. All help appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have exactly the same decision to make but for different a different course. I preferred the *feel* at the Leicester open day..... I worry Lboro will be dominated by jocks..... However the course at Lboro is probably more my thing.

I can't really find anything major between the two universities on ranking/reputation alone. Loughborough has a strong reputation for Sport, Engineering and 'student experience' (whatever that is?). Leicester is probably stronger across more subject areas and is possibly more well known....

Loughborough is a large campus Uni which creates a bit of a 'bubble', and of course the Uni is also in a smaller town with not as much to do as Leicester. Leicester is obviously a decent sized city with a large student population and very diverse too......downside is the accommodation is a fair distance from the campus itself.

I guess it depends what you want out of Uni and which course you think is best?

ReputationRep:
    Both are excellent universities, but I think Loughborough has a better engineering department.

Though to be honest, because the gap between them is minimal, it might be worth thinking about which area you prefer. As BigV said, Loughborough is more of a campus uni than Leicester.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Loughborough is excellent for engineering. I would personally go there.

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough for me.
    much better career prospect with the uni links with the industries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack.O)
    Both are excellent universities, but I think Loughborough has a better engineering department.
    (Original post by Smack)
    Loughborough is excellent for engineering. I would personally go there.
    IM biased as hell (arnt we all) bu i like loughborough a lot and certainly found no issue getting a placement and then job.

IM not that sporty (i active and mountain bike, sail etc as hobbies, but not formally or in a team/competition) and although you sometimes see the sports peoples and 'jocks' its a big place with a lot of people and a big engineering dept!

Daniel

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.