Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tattoo-ing your g'friend/boyfriend's name.... watch

would you get a tattoo done of your boyfriend/girlfriend's name? How would you feel if you met someone you really cared about only to discover they had a tattoo of their ex's name on their body?

ReputationRep:
    i'd feel sad.
    and no, definitely wouldn't get a tattoo of anyone's name.
    i probably would never get a tattoo....

ReputationRep:
    Tattooing ANYONE's name onto your body is a really, really bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    Never ever ever.

ReputationRep:
    Good god no.

ReputationRep:
    never tattoo the name of a gf or bf, not even a husband or wife.... no relationship is ever guaranteed to last

the only names i've ever get tattooed are my children's names but even then i might not t be honest, you don't need a tatt to show you love your kids (by the way i don't have any kids, this is just my opinion)

ReputationRep:
    Never, I will never understand why people even consider this, let alone actually do it.
    When I was getting my bellybutton pierced there was a guy getting his wife's (who he'd known for about 2 years) name tattooed across the entirety of his chest in thick black lettering. Why.

ReputationRep:
    I got "morrisey" tattooed on my body.

ReputationRep:
    Any name apart from that of your child should never be tattooed onto you.

ReputationRep:
    no and if someone got my name tattooed on them I'd probably be so disgusted at their stupidity that i would want to leave them

ReputationRep:
    I would never do it, if my partner had somebody else on them I would ask how old they were and why and then make a decision, because if that’s the mother of his child or something, he’s was really young like under 18 or if they were going out for 5year plus it wouldn’t bother me but if he was an adult and it was a randomer I would think he was a idiot.

ReputationRep:
    Noooooooooooooooooooooo.

ReputationRep:
    No NEVER!! Such a bad idea. Even when married or after 20 years.

If you feel the need then get a tattoo of their name then get something that represents them instead. Still wouldn't advise this though tbh.

Oh any while we are on this topic can someone please explain to me the new craze of having "Mum" and "Dad" tattooed on you?! Not their names but just mum and dad. It means nothing! If you were going to do it then at least put their names not bloody mum and dad!! It's like wanting your childs name but just putting daughter instead.

Sorry for offending anyone that has had mum or dad tattooed but seriously WTF?!

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree with you all - i'd never do it. My former best mate got her boyfriend's name tattooed on her wrist and my current boyfriend has his ex's name tattooed on his hip :/

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I would ever get a tattoo of a name; I'd rather get a representational symbol or image that has more personal meaning. I would also potentially regret this less.

ReputationRep:
    Never ever ever ever ever ever!

ReputationRep:
    My ex of three and half years, was going to get a tattoo of my name, was v.keen for it.
    I said no.
    He broke up with me a few months ago.
    I wish I'd said yes.

Ha.

but yes...v.v.bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)

Oh any while we are on this topic can someone please explain to me the new craze of having "Mum" and "Dad" tattooed on you?! Not their names but just mum and dad. It means nothing! If you were going to do it then at least put their names not bloody mum and dad!! It's like wanting your childs name but just putting daughter instead.

Sorry for offending anyone that has had mum or dad tattooed but seriously WTF?!
    well i think there's nothing wrong with that cos you call them mum/dad (well, most people do) but not by their names. IMO getting their names tattooed is less meaningful cos everyone can call them by their names but what makes you more unique to that person is that you can call them something different. another thing maybe is that mum/dad are amongst the first two words you learn how to say and if the person is deceased i can understand why you'd want to treasure something like that. it all comes down to the person and there's no need to get all furious about something you weren't sure of.

I wouldn't, but then again I can't think of any text I'd want as a tattoo. That said I know two brothers who have 'dude' and 'sweet' tattooed in the relevant place which is quite cool, at least for the next 5-10 years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.