Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Tattoo-ing your g'friend/boyfriend's name.... watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bjoorn)
    well i think there's nothing wrong with that cos you call them mum/dad (well, most people do) but not by their names. IMO getting their names tattooed is less meaningful cos everyone can call them by their names but what makes you more unique to that person is that you can call them something different. another thing maybe is that mum/dad are amongst the first two words you learn how to say and if the person is deceased i can understand why you'd want to treasure something like that. it all comes down to the person and there's no need to get all furious about something you weren't sure of.
    Yes but the words "Mum" and "Dad" are impersonal. Tattoos imo should be unique and everyone could have mum or dad tattooed and a lot of people do.Fair enough if you had mum and then her name or even initials. I dunno just seems really daft to me. Tbh I don't think you should even have their name tattooed but rather something that represents them. Something that makes you think of them etc. Would mean a lot more to me and requires some actual thought and feeling.

ReputationRep:
    Across the knuckles. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Tattoo your own name instead.

Just don't cheat on yourself...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    no thank you. if any name, it should be your child's - they are yours forever, after all

ReputationRep:
    it's weird

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    Tattooing ANYONE's name onto your body is a really, really bad idea.
    MOM (L)

ReputationRep:
    No.

A guy I know got his girlfriend s name Andrea' tattooed on his forearm when he was 16. They broke up after a year and a half resulting in him paying around £100 to get it covered up...it now reads 'A-Bomb' :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    I like how the OP made girlfriend to g'friend in the title but left boyfriend as it is like the extra letter was just far too much lol

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't do it. i adore my boyfriend to bits, but that doesnt mean it's guaranteed to last, and then you'd regret it!

i would also feel extremely awkward if i met someone i was interested in and they had a tattoo of an ex's name, since they must have been VERY serious or whatever to warrant their name permanently etched into their body haha. but that's just me :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smophy)
    Yes but the words "Mum" and "Dad" are impersonal. Tattoos imo should be unique and everyone could have mum or dad tattooed and a lot of people do.Fair enough if you had mum and then her name or even initials. I dunno just seems really daft to me. Tbh I don't think you should even have their name tattooed but rather something that represents them. Something that makes you think of them etc. Would mean a lot more to me and requires some actual thought and feeling.
    imo they're only impersonal if you never knew your mum/dad or something like that. i'd consider it personal becos everyone knows who it's about and getting their names is too formal and uptight

ReputationRep:
    Big mistake and mega cheesy.

ReputationRep:
    No one should have partner names on their body. Even if you feel like it'll last forever, blah blah blah, you can never be 100% sure. The next day they, or you, might realise you're actually wasting away your life with someone you don't even love.

Acceptable named tattoos are that of your children, and possibly parents or other fixed family members if you have great respect for them or if they've helped you through a life changing ordeal, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I have lol.

ReputationRep:
    Are you a chav?

ReputationRep:
    Depends, i think if you are heavily tattooed its not really a problem, but if its gunna be obvious then no.

When i was last getting tattooed i noticed that the guy tattooing me had a proposal tattooed on his forearm, which was ovbiously completly covered in other stuff aswell, i did think that was pretty cool

ReputationRep:
    i personally don't really like tattoos, but if i was in a committed relationship and cared deeply for my partner then i would consider doing this as a sort of tribute.

If i went out with someone who had their ex's name tattooed on them i may feel upset but if they explained the reasoning behind it i wouldn't really have a problem, they weren't with you when they made the decision so you can't really hold it against them. that's just my view anyway !

ReputationRep:
    I have a tattoo with a symbol and a nick name for a person, who was my ex and is my best friend now. She was a huge influence in my life and I won't ever regret the tattoo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bjoorn)
    imo they're only impersonal if you never knew your mum/dad or something like that. i'd consider it personal becos everyone knows who it's about and getting their names is too formal and uptight
    I agree having their name may be too formal. I just think it would be better to have something that symbolises them personally. It could be so much more personal and meaningful that way. Each to their own though.

Another pet peeve with tattoos, having your own name tattooed on your self. More common with young lads who will get it down their forearm or something. I don't see the point lol But again each to their own.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a stupid idea, i don't even like tatoos. it's all vanity upon vanity

ReputationRep:
    Its a bit tacky imo - the only time I've seen it done well is where someone had obviously broken up with the person inked on them and, thus, had a VOID stamp tattoo'd over it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.