Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Am about to attend school for a Masters of Environmental Studies with a concentration in Environmental Geology and GIS.

Does this sound like it would be a worthwhile investment to take into the job market?

What could I do with this degree?

There is another option within the department I am in to just go straight into an MSc in Applied Geoscience, where I will learn straight geotechnics, engineering geology, etc.

Does that sounds like a more lucrative investment?

Any geology or geoscience majors in here that could help me out with some advice?

ReputationRep:
    You could probably work for an oil company or utility company.

ReputationRep:
    oil company, really? With environmental geology and GIS?

what would I do for a utility company?

thanks for responding.

ReputationRep:
    bump.

ReputationRep:
    Contact the university - they normally provide some information on what past graduates go on to do or career paths.

ReputationRep:
    Applied geoscience sounds like it will open a lot more doors - geotechnics is a big field

ReputationRep:
    Applied Geoscience would, I figured. I might as well jump into that.

Would it matter though that I have a BA in Economics? I don't have a heavy science background for my undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else have some advice?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why are you going to study a Masters in a subject you have no grounding in and appear not to know what it applies to? Will they even let you study that at Masters without a geology or other science background?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they've already accepted me.

The thing is that I was accepted into a Masters of Environmental Studies and I was going to concentrate in Environmental Policy.

They have an option for people to choose Environmental Geology or Applied Geoscience and earn a more practical, technical degree.

All you have to do is complete a few pre-requisite courses and you're in.

So I was wondering if it was worth the time, effort and money to pursue that.

I have a BA in Economics and have taken Stats, Calculus, physics and various other math courses, so I can handle the math and engineering involved and will just have to take extra geology courses.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 9, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.