Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Am about to attend school for a Masters of Environmental Studies with a concentration in Environmental Geology and GIS.

Does this sound like it would be a worthwhile investment to take into the job market?

What could I do with this degree?

There is another option within the department I am in to just go straight into an MSc in Applied Geoscience, where I will learn straight geotechnics, engineering geology, etc.

Does that sounds like a more lucrative investment?

Any geology or geoscience majors in here that could help me out with some advice?

ReputationRep:
    You could probably work for an oil company or utility company.

ReputationRep:
    oil company, really? With environmental geology and GIS?

what would I do for a utility company?

thanks for responding.

ReputationRep:
    bump.

ReputationRep:
    Contact the university - they normally provide some information on what past graduates go on to do or career paths.

ReputationRep:
    Applied geoscience sounds like it will open a lot more doors - geotechnics is a big field

ReputationRep:
    Applied Geoscience would, I figured. I might as well jump into that.

Would it matter though that I have a BA in Economics? I don't have a heavy science background for my undergrad.

ReputationRep:
    anyone else have some advice?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Why are you going to study a Masters in a subject you have no grounding in and appear not to know what it applies to? Will they even let you study that at Masters without a geology or other science background?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they've already accepted me.

The thing is that I was accepted into a Masters of Environmental Studies and I was going to concentrate in Environmental Policy.

They have an option for people to choose Environmental Geology or Applied Geoscience and earn a more practical, technical degree.

All you have to do is complete a few pre-requisite courses and you're in.

So I was wondering if it was worth the time, effort and money to pursue that.

I have a BA in Economics and have taken Stats, Calculus, physics and various other math courses, so I can handle the math and engineering involved and will just have to take extra geology courses.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2011
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.