Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I have a job interview at Sainsbury's tomorrow and I'm a bit apprehensive about wearing my suit. Although my mum says that it's important to look smart, (she said that when she applied for a particular job they knew she was going to get the job as soon as she walked through the door) I don't want to come over as too formal or I may make not only the interviewer uncomfortable but also the other candidates. The job is only in the restaurant waiting on tables, it's not as if it's a magaerial position where I would need to wear a suit.
    What do you suggest I do?

ReputationRep:
    Too much imo

ReputationRep:
    When I had my interview at sainsburys I dressed in a shirt, tie and black trousers and shoes with no jacket. It was summer though. I would say a full suit is proberly abit too much.

ReputationRep:
    I'd dress smartly, i.e. trousers and shirt, maybe a tie. Its better to be overdressed than underdressed, but at least if you're not fully suited you'll feel a bit more comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Arrive in a suit, and take the suite jacket off once the interview begins.

It's all about first impressions. If you've taken the effort, it'll work in your favour!

ReputationRep:
    A suit is a bit too much, just go with a shirt and trousers, as well as some sensible shoes. As long as you're not dressed casual, it's fine, lol.

ReputationRep:
    They wouldn't not offer you a job because you were dressed too smart... I think that a suit is the safest option

ReputationRep:
    ^ I wouldn't wear a jacket and then take it off - too sloppy, an interview isn't supposed to be that sort of casual environment. And don't bother wearing a tie if you're not wearing a jacket.

And it probably doesn't matter that much, but if you do decide to wear a suit in the end, make sure you get it right - here's an article I've written for the TSR Wiki on it: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...attire_for_men

ReputationRep:
    +1 your mum.

Ordinarily, I would say that you should always wear a suit, unless the industry standard for the position you are trying out for is radically different (ie lapdancer or stuntman).

However, given that you have mentioned that you are apprehensive about wearing a suit - I can offer you two pieces of advice (having conducted dozens of interviews myself, and having been interviewed many many times):

1. Looking smart is far more important than simply wearing "a suit". It is much more important that your clothes fit, and are appropriate. If your suit is ill-fitting or inappropriate (like a dinner jacket for example), you are much better off wearing a shirt and tie that fit you.

2. If you have apprehensions, you may be better off wearing clothes that compromise smartness with comfort. If you never wear a suit, you could be put off/constricted etc and not give your best showing in interview.

TL;DR : Clean shirt, sensible tie, clean shoes. It's going to be hot tomorrow anyway, so you'll get away with no jacket.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know........I just think a tie without a jacket looks, err, dorky. It's something I never do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmanoj)
    I don't know........I just think a tie without a jacket looks, err, dorky. It's something I never do.
    OP is clearly uncomfortable in a suit, otherwise he wouldn't have this thread. You are correct, you wouldn't see Cary Grant walking around in a shirt and tie only, but that's not the situation. I don't see it likely that OP is going (for want of a tie) to put on an unbuttoned Emma Willis shirt, some smart brogues and charm it.

Given he's not a sartorialist, then he probably only has a pair of dark trousers and a school shirt. In that situation, I would say wear a tie. I agree, it looks a bit Dilbert, but it's better than looking half-undressed.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a tuxedo,top hat and some shiny shoes, then the job will be all yours.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.