Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok for my initial medical the doctor commented on my waist measurement saying that I 'Barely squeaked through.. much bigger and I would have been rejected'

Im a big built guy, and not fat at all, just not ripped with a mad 6 pack... To give you an example im well built and im 5'11" and weigh just under 13st (or 82 kg's) which I thought was a sensible size/weight ration I have the tiniest bit of, erm, excess around my waist and im desperately trying to shift it because of the following fear...

At halton, do they take your waist measurement again and reject you if you are oversized as they would at your medical? Ive had 3 medicals for the RAF now for different trades... and this is the first one I got 'measured'..

If someone who has been through recently could let me know, that would be awesome!

Jon
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    What does it matter? Get fitter - take the hint, work harder. You admit to having lard - so do something about it. OR were you planning on putting weight on before Halton?

ReputationRep:
    Really helpful, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    on a more serious note... its not lard i am just big! I do a lot of climbing, skating, kayaking and other sports that require a strong core... Im not fat at all, im just very broad and didnt know whether there was a 'maximum measurement' like there is in the pre joining medical done via the AFCO.

even if It was fat, im still training as hard as I can! I'd just like to know what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    I know some big guys who can do very good fitness tests
    What are your run/press ups/sit ups like?

ReputationRep:
    ah i took the RAFFT at PRTC in feb.. and i got 100% on everything, do about 45 sit ups in a a minute, i can manage about 40 press-ups and get to about level 12 on the bleep test (when i took it in january because they stopped me at RAFFT at 9.10) but its not the fitness, I know im fit enough to pass the test... it just physical size... Ive heard stories about guys being binned off because they are too heavy due to muscle...

Like i said, Im not fat, I am broad! I dont want to be the jerk that says 'with muscle' but to be fair, it is.

not much I can do now I guess about size, I was just hoping to find what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair there was a similar guy on my prtc. About 6'4", stocky, rugby player build - in fact he was a rugby player and took his fitness mega seriously. Big guy but not ripped, bit like you described yourself. He raised a good few points because he was worried about being a big guy and struggling with long runs ect... he aced the MSFT.

The pti was pretty sound though and said it wasn't a problem, but to be prepared to lose some muscle as they don't work out with weights during RTS. Other than being called 'yeti' for the whole two days nobody mentioned any other problem that I know of and no one mentioned any further waist measurements or stuff like that.

I really can't see it as being a problem though and as long as you are as fit as you can possibly be I don't think anyone is going to give a rats arse

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I hope so... I know the yanks refer to it as a 'tape test' and their restrictions are fairly strict.

At the end of the day, too late to change anything drastically now... hey sara sara, whatever will be..... and all that jazz!

Yeah thats a good description 'rugby player build'!

If i come back on next week then you will know ive been given the boot I guess

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, I had my medical last month and the doctor there didn't measure my waist, however I think it is to do with BMI. If you BMI is over 28, but you are obviously fit and active they do a waist to hip ratio (I think) and then go by this number instead. Obviously people who are big built with a lot of muscle are always going to have that high bmi.

My own stats are 5'9 and I weighed in at 12 stone 10 pounds, the doctor recommended I aim for about 12 stone but I tell you these last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose!

ReputationRep:
    Not medical at Halton, but...
    I'm far too nervous!!!!!
    Had my medical on 6th April, but the doctor told me I had to put 7 lbs on (believe me, that's hard for me as I NEVER put weight on), i've hammered the gym, cut down running, got protein shakes and been eating twice as much meat from the butchers insead of supermarket.

I have put 6lbs on... but I have my 2nd appointment at 12.30 today :mad: He said my BMI needed to be 18.4, but according to Boots my BMI is 19.8. But that could be wrong!!

Fair to say i'm bricking it and just hope to god he isn't too strict or the 7lbs would put my BMI over 18.4 which then means 6 lbs might scrape through.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck mate, if you don't make it try consulting your GP they can tell you healthy ways to gain weight and keep it on. Weird for me to say that, past two years I have been focusing on weight loss so I'm the opposite end of the spectrum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikestraws)
    Good luck mate, if you don't make it try consulting your GP they can tell you healthy ways to gain weight and keep it on. Weird for me to say that, past two years I have been focusing on weight loss so I'm the opposite end of the spectrum!
    I passed BMI went from 17.6 to 19.9 - fitness test on Monday!

ReputationRep:
    Grats mate Keep doing what you're doing i'm sure you'll nail the phys test! What trade are you going for?

ReputationRep:
    Passed my PJFT today Run in 10m42, then 37 press ups and 38 sit ups.

I'm going in for Flight Operations Assistant.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.