ReputationRep:
    King's College London (KCL)
    Aberdeen
    Manchester
    Imperial
    London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
    Nottingham
    University College Lonon (UCL)

Why do you think they are asking for a 2.2? I thought it'd be higher because they are competitive universities.

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot tougher to get a 2:1 or better in a science degree, and there's less demand for postgrad science courses, so the 2:2 requirement is understandable.

Excellent university =/= 2:2

There's got to be a catch!

ReputationRep:
    Masters are a BIG cashcow for universities, so most unis want as many masters students as they can (when I applied for my MSc the course was officially fully booked, but I asked politely and they found room for one more paying student). For biologies a lot of students go from degree to PhD, so the MSc field is not as competitive as other subjects. Also it may be that they want to keep the field open for people with 2:2 + industrial experience (i.e. they don't want people with just a 2:2, but they don't want to rule everyone with 2:2s out entirely in case they have something redeemable).

If they have enough people with 2:1 or above applying, there's nothing to stop them saying no to everyone who got a 2:2 anyway, the 2:2 is simply the bare minimum to apply.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing science so don't quote me on this but I would have thought that the very best science students tend to do for PhDs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Svenjamin)
    Masters are a BIG cashcow for universities, so most unis want as many masters students as they can (when I applied for my MSc the course was officially fully booked, but I asked politely and they found room for one more paying student). For biologies a lot of students go from degree to PhD, so the MSc field is not as competitive as other subjects.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Good science graduates go straight into industry or onto a PhD; that is why requirements are lower.

ReputationRep:
    Subscribes

ReputationRep:
    Simple D + S

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.