Turn on thread page Beta

Unacademic Activities that will help me in Medicine watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am seriously interested in a career in medicine, and definetly know it is what I want to do. I understand that I need good grades and to pass MCAT exams. But acouple of years ago somebody I know applied to Medical School with good grades but wasn't accepted because of the lack of Work Experience etc. After that she spent a year working and volunteering in a number of places to gain work experience and was accepted the next year.

I want to know what unacademic activites will help me in preparing to become a doctor?
    E.g.
    First Aid Course
    Learning Sign Language
    Learning a Musical Instrument to show commitment
    Be a Student Council Rep.

Etc.
    I understand that I can gain Work Experience in GP Surgeries, Hospitals and Care Homes but I'm a bit young at the moment to start any of that.

Any unacademic activities or skills I can do will be appreciated. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I would advise that you don't base your whole life around medicine if you're too young to volunteer or anything yet - there's plenty of time for that in the future! I didn't have any particular extracurricular activities at all apart from like netball and teaching myself the guitar a bit and it didn't hold me back So just do what you enjoy, don't try and get all these fancy qualifications/ECs if you don't want to do it!

ReputationRep:
    I already play the clarinet and piano and would be very interested in doing a First Aid course. Do you think Sign Language or anything along those lines would benefit me in medicine. Thanks for your post!

(Original post by Shevo)
    pass MCAT exams
    Are you applying to the USA?

I just did some volunteering and work shadowing. No musical instruments or sports and not a head boy / prefect or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Dentistry and I learned some sign language. At my interview they were really interested in it. You may end up having a deaf patient. Atleast you'll know how to communicate with them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shevo)
    I already play the clarinet and piano and would be very interested in doing a First Aid course. Do you think Sign Language or anything along those lines would benefit me in medicine. Thanks for your post!
    Definitely do first aid if you're interested in doing it. After all, it definitely won't hinder your application! But I'll reiterate what I said before - only do these things if you want to. If you don't want to do a sign language course then don't just do it for medicine! But likewise if you're interested, go for it

ReputationRep:
    Save a couple of lives. They would love you.

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, how old are you OP?

ReputationRep:
    Hi thanks for all of your replies! That's great I think I'll definetly look into doing First Aid, Sign Language and some Charity Work and when i reach the right age do Work Experience.
    And ForensicShoe I'm 14

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shevo)
    Hi, I am seriously interested in a career in medicine, and definetly know it is what I want to do. I understand that I need good grades and to pass MCAT exams. But acouple of years ago somebody I know applied to Medical School with good grades but wasn't accepted because of the lack of Work Experience etc. After that she spent a year working and volunteering in a number of places to gain work experience and was accepted the next year.

I want to know what unacademic activites will help me in preparing to become a doctor?
    E.g.
    First Aid Course
    Learning Sign Language
    Learning a Musical Instrument to show commitment
    Be a Student Council Rep.

Etc.
    I understand that I can gain Work Experience in GP Surgeries, Hospitals and Care Homes but I'm a bit young at the moment to start any of that.

Any unacademic activities or skills I can do will be appreciated. Thanks!
    what's the MCAT?

ReputationRep:
    If you're thinking of a First Aid course, I'd recommend joining the St John Ambulance service. That way, you're learning a little about medics, AND volunteering at the same time, if you do the duties Volunteering always looks good.
    Also, it gets you into places like gigs and comedy shows for free

ReputationRep:
    Medical College Admissions Test

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    what's the MCAT?
    It's a crazily long test you do when you're applying for medicine in America. Here we have UKCAT and BMAT. (Which presumably aren't as insanely difficult, given how people talk about the MCAT)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah if I was going to do a First Aid course it would definetly be with St John's! I think that would be the best organisation to train with. Thanks for comment

ReputationRep:
    jeez, don't base your life around medical school

if you are an interesting enough person you will do extra things like sport and stuff - don't start playing a ****ing instrument to impress somebody !

do well in exams + do extra curriculars + work experience + write a good personal statement + apply smart + decent interview = medical school

you don't need to be a genius, representing country at athletics, adviser to david cameron, harvard summer school types - hell i got in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    jeez, don't base your life around medical school

if you are an interesting enough person you will do extra things like sport and stuff - don't start playing a ****ing instrument to impress somebody !

do well in exams + do extra curriculars + work experience + write a good personal statement + apply smart = medical school
    I had already played the Clarinet and Piano before considering becoming a doctor. I was just wondering because I don't really like Sport and I am enjoy helping people so if I could get into extra curricular activities that would both, benefit me in further life and something that I will enjoy that would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shevo)
    x
    You could always go for something not necessarily needed in medicine, and different to that of a usual medical applicant. Stick at an activity and become passionate about it. If you write about it in your PS, make sure that if you get asked questions on it say how it has helped develop you (by taking you places, meeting people, competitions). Having the bog standard hobbies wont always get you recognises, but most important, enjoy what you do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shevo)
    I had already played the Clarinet and Piano before considering becoming a doctor. I was just wondering because I don't really like Sport and I am enjoy helping people so if I could get into extra curricular activities that would both, benefit me in further life and something that I will enjoy that would be great
    yep, it's good to have evidence of relaxation and outside interests - if you enjoy it! then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry everyone, I live in the UK. I don't know why but I put the American MCAT instead of putting UKCAT. But their both admissions tests to get into Med School

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.