The Student Room Group

AS students: how far are you in your revision?

Scroll to see replies

Er I revised chemistry for an hour on the weekend and biology for 40 minutes. That's it atm. Easter = revision holiday for me
Original post by Jellybeany
ii, any tips you can give me?
Im really struggling for ideas on how to revise. :frown:

What subjects are you doing/how many exams do you have?
Reply 82
Ive made all of my notes. Yess i do have a textbook, dont really like it though.

Ive got the cpg (?) revision book which i find is good!

Ive going to an intense revision course next week and im getting a biology tutor for the weeks before the exam!

Arrgggghhh :frown:

I've got CGP one too, does yours have a green cover? It's good, but I always fear with OCR that they'll test you on something exclusively in their textbook.

What other subjects are you taking? I assume you want to do well in Biology, then!
Not very far along. I'm seriously panicking!

I have started doing past papers and make do with taking notes as I go along. Not the best way but I have no choice really. Been in and out of hospital so am struggling to catch up :s-smilie:
Original post by Alison1992
What subjects are you doing/how many exams do you have?

Im doing:
Psychology
Biology
Sociology
Law
English (already done the AS year for it though, just resitting an exam in Jan)

I have 8 exams in the summer :frown:

Original post by Groat
I've got CGP one too, does yours have a green cover? It's good, but I always fear with OCR that they'll test you on something exclusively in their textbook.

What other subjects are you taking? I assume you want to do well in Biology, then!

Yehh I want to well. Im determined to after last years and Jans result :frown:
Im doing:
Psychology
Biology
Sociology
Law
English (already done the AS year for it though, just resitting an exam in Jan)

I have 8 exams in the summer :frown:

(

Wow, 8 exams, that's quite a lot, but don't panic, panicking makes it worse. What did you get in january if you don't mind me asking?
Obviously you're going to need to balance your time between what exams are worth more/more important. E.g. if you're resitting BIOL1 don't spend an excessive amount of time on it just because you want to get the grade up from the last module but focus more on BIOL2 which is worth 140 UMS as opposed to 100 (for AQA anyway, just an example).

Sociology-There are only a certain amount of topics that can come up so what i did was plan essays for all of the topics, and then actually do the essays. The exam is actually pretty easy. Don't worry about studies until the end, you'll learn them as you go when you do essays but then learn them look-cover-write-check style the week coming up to the exam

Psychology-I think i summarised all my notes onto cards and then did all the past papers available. It was a case of past questions for me, you can make them up for yourself as well. Make tables comparing different things for comparison questions and try and make links between different approaches. Same as sociology for study learning.

Biology-biology it's a lot about content but also about application, i did AQA and did this, i highlighted the text book and the revision guide and made notes from them onto cards, i did all the summary questions on each page, i did the exam style questions at the end of each chapter, i learnt the how science works things and did those questions, i downloaded old exam papers and probably did about 150 past questions that applied to my speck.

I never did law

English-it's about knowing what is going to come up in the paper, there is only so much they can ask you so it's a good idea to plan potential responses and obviously re-read your texts.

The basic message is that there is no point in just staring blankly at your notes, you have to DO something with the information that you've got in front of you, it enhances your understanding and helps you prepare for an exam situation, it's also more interesting so you're less likely to let your attention wander.

Finally, i always make a list of 'task-based revision' i.e. i never say 'today i am going to do 6 hours' but say 'today i am going to plan 2 english essays, do one psychology exam paper and make 10 pages of biology notes'. If you make an actual list you get to cross things off which is both satisfying and lets you feel like you're making progress.

Try and do more than one subject a day, i find if you spend hours and hours on one subject you a) feel like you're neglecting your other subjects and then panic revise them and b) lose concentration, by doing 2 hours of one subject and then 2 hours of another, a small break and then another subject you're keeping your learning fresh and moderately interesting. it's a long slog but you just have to remember that it's not forever, and it will be so worth it when you get the grades that you want in the summer.

Hope this helps, good luck!
I'm seriously struggling with M1. S1's also a bit of a bother. S2, FP1 and C2 maths are fine.

G492 physics - we're not far enough into the teaching so I'll just have to go for what we've done. Not done much yet, I'm focusing on Maths.

F322 chemistry - done a few old spec questions but still not improving much, I need to work on my Green Chemistry. And long questions - I just die a little each time I see one.
Original post by Contrad!ction.
I'm seriously struggling with M1. S1's also a bit of a bother. S2, FP1 and C2 maths are fine.

G492 physics - we're not far enough into the teaching so I'll just have to go for what we've done. Not done much yet, I'm focusing on Maths.

F322 chemistry - done a few old spec questions but still not improving much, I need to work on my Green Chemistry. And long questions - I just die a little each time I see one.

M1 is TOUGH! :frown: I find it quite difficult aswell. I don't think the paper is going to be easy either since Jan11 was a good paper. I'm using ExamSolutions a lot lately, I done about 3 past papers today, I excluded the Vectors questions since I just can't get my head around it and it was stopping me revising. As you do more questions, you'll get it. I see myself progressing quite a lot, I'll probably work through 2008 June-2010 tomorrow to get a good idea of how it'll be like.
Reply 88
I find M1 easier than S1, M1 papers basically are all identical, so you pretty much know whats going to come up as well
Reply 89
Original post by juliewho
I actually thought i'd been given a pair when I first opened it, then realised I was on a different author.. :redface:
We did our course backwards so everyone had two chances at the exam, because it's worth more, and because they can't mark coursework, people were handing in bad essays and then doing the same thing in the exam. The results have so far come out so much better this year, so somethings got to be working :smile:
I'm doing Enduring Love and The Collector for my comparative essay, and then Tony Harrison for my clos analysis.. both boring :frown:

thats actually a really good idea! we did it a bit weirdly, did first bit of coursework and Owen, then second bit of coursework and Gatsby.

Mine was A street care named desire for close analysis and Carter - The bloody chamber and Duffy - The Worlds Wife for the comparitive! Wasn't too bad, trick with both though is put as much quotes and stuff in when you can as they arent included, i think i got 3400 words in the 2000 word limit :biggrin:
Reply 90
Original post by LifeIsGood
M1 is TOUGH! :frown: I find it quite difficult aswell. I don't think the paper is going to be easy either since Jan11 was a good paper. I'm using ExamSolutions a lot lately, I done about 3 past papers today, I excluded the Vectors questions since I just can't get my head around it and it was stopping me revising. As you do more questions, you'll get it. I see myself progressing quite a lot, I'll probably work through 2008 June-2010 tomorrow to get a good idea of how it'll be like.

exam solutions is my life at the moment! i'm seriously struggling with m1! but i feel better in the fact that i know someone that, in January, went from a U to an A in M1 just through doing a lot of past papers so i'm hoping i can do that too :s-smilie:
Reply 91
I'm making sure I'd have covered EVERYTHING by the end of the Easter holidays - content, past papers etc. so I need to start working properly which I will do tomorrow :smile:

What will you do after easter holidays then....
Reply 92
Original post by zumgluck
I'm doing AQA Literature Syllabus A but I guess it shouldn't make much of a difference.. do you have any exam tips on how to get easy marks?

i too am doing aqa english lit A, which topic are you doing, war??
Reply 93
A bit stressed about English Lit B, is anyone else studying Browning? I'm sorted with Keats for section A of the paper, but for section B i've got Enduring Love, Gatsby and Browning to compare :/
Original post by Alison1992
Wow, 8 exams, that's quite a lot, but don't panic, panicking makes it worse. What did you get in january if you don't mind me asking?
Obviously you're going to need to balance your time between what exams are worth more/more important. E.g. if you're resitting BIOL1 don't spend an excessive amount of time on it just because you want to get the grade up from the last module but focus more on BIOL2 which is worth 140 UMS as opposed to 100 (for AQA anyway, just an example).

Sociology-There are only a certain amount of topics that can come up so what i did was plan essays for all of the topics, and then actually do the essays. The exam is actually pretty easy. Don't worry about studies until the end, you'll learn them as you go when you do essays but then learn them look-cover-write-check style the week coming up to the exam

Psychology-I think i summarised all my notes onto cards and then did all the past papers available. It was a case of past questions for me, you can make them up for yourself as well. Make tables comparing different things for comparison questions and try and make links between different approaches. Same as sociology for study learning.

Biology-biology it's a lot about content but also about application, i did AQA and did this, i highlighted the text book and the revision guide and made notes from them onto cards, i did all the summary questions on each page, i did the exam style questions at the end of each chapter, i learnt the how science works things and did those questions, i downloaded old exam papers and probably did about 150 past questions that applied to my speck.

I never did law

English-it's about knowing what is going to come up in the paper, there is only so much they can ask you so it's a good idea to plan potential responses and obviously re-read your texts.

The basic message is that there is no point in just staring blankly at your notes, you have to DO something with the information that you've got in front of you, it enhances your understanding and helps you prepare for an exam situation, it's also more interesting so you're less likely to let your attention wander.

Finally, i always make a list of 'task-based revision' i.e. i never say 'today i am going to do 6 hours' but say 'today i am going to plan 2 english essays, do one psychology exam paper and make 10 pages of biology notes'. If you make an actual list you get to cross things off which is both satisfying and lets you feel like you're making progress.

Try and do more than one subject a day, i find if you spend hours and hours on one subject you a) feel like you're neglecting your other subjects and then panic revise them and b) lose concentration, by doing 2 hours of one subject and then 2 hours of another, a small break and then another subject you're keeping your learning fresh and moderately interesting. it's a long slog but you just have to remember that it's not forever, and it will be so worth it when you get the grades that you want in the summer.

Hope this helps, good luck!

In Jan i got a C in sociology and Law - was only about 2 marks off a B wich i really anoying
Biology i got a E - Gutted.

Didnt really revise at all in Jan so thats probably why i did so badly.

Thank you for your advice :smile:

Im going to summarise Soiology today and do as many past papers/questions as i can!

:smile:

It's the pulleys that screw me over. I haven't had any teaching for M1 at all (FP1 as well but at least my maths teacher helps me with that) but some questions require a load of knowledge around the subject that the book just doesn't give. =/

I can do slopes now, and resolve, it's just certain questions that lump everything together - or inequalities. I can get one part of the inequality right but the other bit - forget about it. I'm struggling on momentum at the moment for some reason. I do Physics as well and they use different letters and it's just confusing me. Especially as my Physics teacher expects me to be amazin at it because I do mechanics. =/

FP1's going well and though I haven't started on S2, I think that'll be fine. C2's easy as well. It's just M1/S1 that are worrying me. :angry:

I'll just bug my head of maths about it when we have our revision session with him next week, he'll help. Thank God for helpful teachers. I swear I've spent more time with him lately than I have my friends :tongue:
Original post by Contrad!ction.
It's the pulleys that screw me over. I haven't had any teaching for M1 at all (FP1 as well but at least my maths teacher helps me with that) but some questions require a load of knowledge around the subject that the book just doesn't give. =/

I can do slopes now, and resolve, it's just certain questions that lump everything together - or inequalities. I can get one part of the inequality right but the other bit - forget about it. I'm struggling on momentum at the moment for some reason. I do Physics as well and they use different letters and it's just confusing me. Especially as my Physics teacher expects me to be amazin at it because I do mechanics. =/

FP1's going well and though I haven't started on S2, I think that'll be fine. C2's easy as well. It's just M1/S1 that are worrying me. :angry:

I'll just bug my head of maths about it when we have our revision session with him next week, he'll help. Thank God for helpful teachers. I swear I've spent more time with him lately than I have my friends :tongue:

There's tonnes of examples on Exam Solutions It'll help you so much! Go straight to the exam questions and see how it is done! The only problem with M1 is Vectors for me, I'm leaving that till after the Easter to learn it. The rest of it I'm going to cover in the holidays
Original post by timkench

Original post by timkench
cant even imagine getting something like the last laugh/arms and the boy haha, if they did that....

ahh well you got an A so there must have been something right in gatsby! poetry is so much easier i think :smile: so you do your course almost backwards? exam first then coursework? Ahhhh i much prefer coursework, got full marks in it which is good, what texts are you doing for it?

Do you know what marks you've got in your coursework already? We aren't even given an indication and it's really scaring me!
There's tonnes of examples on Exam Solutions It'll help you so much! Go straight to the exam questions and see how it is done! The only problem with M1 is Vectors for me, I'm leaving that till after the Easter to learn it. The rest of it I'm going to cover in the holidays

I'll have a crack at it tomorrow - today's going to be really unproductive because I'm taking my niece to the cinema and afterwards I'll probably have a go at my C2 work so it's out of the way and I can focus on the rest.
Reply 99
Original post by CeeTay
i too am doing aqa english lit A, which topic are you doing, war??

Well we have the Thomas Hardy poem... then the non-fiction extract which could be on children/women/industrialisation/colonization in the 19th century.

Quick Reply

Latest