The Student Room Group

AS students: how far are you in your revision?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by lilyrawstorne
Do you know what marks you've got in your coursework already? We aren't even given an indication and it's really scaring me!

well we weren't supposed to but our teacher couldn't be bothered to fill in the sheets with the titles on that you hand in with it so she just gave us the essays back :biggrin:
Reply 101
Original post by ashhull
A bit stressed about English Lit B, is anyone else studying Browning? I'm sorted with Keats for section A of the paper, but for section B i've got Enduring Love, Gatsby and Browning to compare :/

What sort of things are you writing in Section A (a) for poetry? I'm most likely going to answer on The Great Gatsby, but if the question is bad I'll have to answer on Hardy.

Also, I know you may not have meant it, but you don't have to compare in section B. In fact, it's been said by the examiners that those comparing are just losing focus on the question and it's highly unnecessary!
Reply 102
Keats - The Eve of St Agnes, La Belle Dame Sans Merci and Lamia. Would probably have prefered to do The Great Gatsby, but our teacher has especially done Keats thoroughly in order for us to do it for section A. For (a) its basically AO2 and commenting on aspects of narrative, the question will be 'How does Keats tell the story in...' so i'm alright with that one!

I don't think i've quite got the hang of section B yet, you've just highlighted that haha :P
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by ashhull
Keats - The Eve of St Agnes, La Belle Dame Sans Merci and Lamia. Would probably have prefered to do The Great Gatsby, but our teacher has especially done Keats thoroughly in order for us to do it for section A. For (a) its basically AO2 and commenting on aspects of narrative, the question will be 'How does Keats tell the story in...' so i'm alright with that one!

I don't think i've quite got the hang of section B yet, you've just highlighted that haha :P

Well.. this is quite worrying.
We've studied Keats, Hardy and Great Gatbsy and I got the impression you had to mention all in your answer. Right?
Reply 104
Maths
C2 - No need
C3 - Need to look at the trig identities, just because theyre so much fun :biggrin:
C4 - Sorted, but for vectors; need a bit of polishing.
S1 - Easy
M1 - Was struggling on the past papers, despite the actual stuff being simple. Almost sorted though.

AQA Physics B
Unit 1 - AHHH SO MUCH REGURGITATION TO LEARN I HATE IT. In other words, it could be better.
Unit 2 - Havent got a clue about the environmental questions, I almost refuse to bother; it isnt real physics!

AQA Chemistry
Unit 1 - Fine and dandy, just need to touch up on the shapes of molecules.
Unit 2 - Need to learn all the tests for things, and the trends/reasons for them. And the extraction of metals. The organic bits are easy enough I find nice though.

Still have to do my chemistry unit 3 practical too.

FUN ...Ah, er... not really...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 105
Original post by Jack-
Maths
C2 - No need
C3 - Need to look at the trig identities, just because theyre so much fun :biggrin:
C4 - Sorted, but for vectors; need a bit of polishing.
S1 - Easy
M1 - Was struggling on the past papers, despite the actual stuff being simple. Almost sorted though.

AQA Physics B
Unit 1 - AHHH SO MUCH REGURGITATION TO LEARN I HATE IT. In other words, it could be better.
Unit 2 - Havent got a clue about the environmental questions, I almost refuse to bother; it isnt real physics!

AQA Chemistry
Unit 1 - Fine and dandy, just need to touch up on the shapes of molecules.
Unit 2 - Need to learn all the tests for things, and the trends/reasons for them. And the extraction of metals. The organic bits are easy enough I find nice though.

Still have to do my chemistry unit 3 practical too.

FUN
...Ah, er... not really...
i hate m1 sooo much! have you got any tips? :biggrin:
Reply 106
Original post by CeeTay
i hate m1 sooo much! have you got any tips? :biggrin:

For what in particular?

I was struggling with moments and those questions which are basically 'particle is on slope in equlibrium, find...'

For moments, I eventually realised that if it wants, say, tension at B, then you work out the moment at A. And when you get a question that says along the lines of 'the tension at A is twice that at B. Find the tension at B' just remember that since whatever it is (usually a uniform rod), is equilibrium, then tension at A + tension at B is equal to the weight of the beam. So eg the beam has mass 10kg, tension at A 3x that at B, so: 3T+T=10g, so T=2.5g; Tension at A is 7.5gN and at B is 2.5gN.

For the particle on a slope questions, Ive decided its just best to draw triangles for the forces, and finding the horizontal and vertical components. Then its simply a case of basic trig and simple addition.

Also, check these out; http://www.sendspace.com/file/h1l7qb
They arent mine, but I saw them kicking about on here the other day, theyre very concise and great to revise from.
Reply 107
Original post by xoJessicaAnn
Well.. this is quite worrying.
We've studied Keats, Hardy and Great Gatbsy and I got the impression you had to mention all in your answer. Right?

Yeah you have got to mention them all in Section B, where you get a choice of two questions in an 'either..... or ........' format.
C2,C3,C4,S1 - So far so good. Need to polish up on some stuff.
S2 - Difficult
Eco u1 and u2 - going over notes
ICT u1 and u2 - going over notes

The revision is going really slow :frown:
Reply 109
I thought it was going okay, then I started doing past papers. 6 weeks of long revision here I come... Especially biology and maths, I HATE OCR
Haven't started! Need Motivation! Help!

I got As in all my mocks and now I'm too overconfident, but I know I still have to revise.

C1 and C2, find them really easy
S1, really annoying
Wilfred Owen poems, not all over again
Wuthering Heights, I'll just watch the film
EC1 and EC2 (Economics), Microeconomics is so boring, why can't it be all Macroeconomics?
Geography, case studies here I come...

How are other people revising the same things I am? Help!
Reply 111
Original post by DylanLJG
Haven't started! Need Motivation! Help!

I got As in all my mocks and now I'm too overconfident, but I know I still have to revise.

C1 and C2, find them really easy
S1, really annoying
Wilfred Owen poems, not all over again
Wuthering Heights, I'll just watch the film
EC1 and EC2 (Economics), Microeconomics is so boring, why can't it be all Macroeconomics?
Geography, case studies here I come...

How are other people revising the same things I am? Help!

That's how I feel after January results, MUST STAY MOTIVATED :L

I guess you didn't do any January modules if you've got so many exams in June. I don't know how I'd cope if I had all 9 exams in June :|
Original post by tateco
That's how I feel after January results, MUST STAY MOTIVATED :L

I guess you didn't do any January modules if you've got so many exams in June. I don't know how I'd cope if I had all 9 exams in June :|

My school doesn't allow resits so we can't take exams in January :mad:

All eight of my exams take place within 13 days (Unlucky I know)

C2 and EC1 clash as well. That is going to be a dreaded 5 hours.
Reply 113

Ouch... I know how you feel, I have 4 exams in the space of two days :|

6 of mine happen with 7 days, 4 of which on one day - 9am til 4pm in exams ); 26th May. fml.

anyways, i started with my biology revision, getting there slowly.

maths: D1 is going well, C2 is okay but i havent really got into the zone yet with it.

havent done any psychology or philosophy or buddhism yet :O
Reply 115
7 exams...barely any revision. Sort of worrying now, but I have another week of the holidays left so it shouldn't be too bad. I find cramming actually helps me (even though you're not supposed to, apparently) so I might leave it a bit longer. Need to do a lot of work for Psychology and Sociology though, not looking forward to having to remember 239280136735 dates, psychologists, sociologists, experiments etc! :frown:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 116
Original post by tarazzle
7 exams...barely any revision. Sort of worrying now, but I have another week of the holidays left so it shouldn't be too bad. I find cramming actually helps me (even though you're not supposed to, apparently) so I might leave it a bit longer. Need to do a lot of work for Psychology and Sociology though, not looking forward to having to remember 239280136735 dates, psychologists, sociologists, experiments etc! :frown:

I'm the same with my sociology, i'm kind of ok with answering the questions but i'm not confident at all with including sociologists and dates in my answers :/
Reply 117
Original post by ashhull
I'm the same with my sociology, i'm kind of ok with answering the questions but i'm not confident at all with including sociologists and dates in my answers :/

I know, I get the basics behind everything but I struggle on how to remember and include relevant sociologists and dates. :/ The annoying thing is, you can't get a good grade without them! Which exam board are you on?
I've hardly done anything.

With Bio and Classics I've nearly finished the syllabus.. but I'm scared to even open my Maths books. :|
Most of the way through with biology and RS, still a fair bit to do for chemistry, but that's because it takes me longer to revise something for chemistry not because I'm not spending time on it...

...my English revision on the other hand will pretty much just consist of a Gatsby re-read.

Quick Reply

Latest