Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanLJG)
    My school doesn't allow resits so we can't take exams in January :mad:

All eight of my exams take place within 13 days (Unlucky I know)

C2 and EC1 clash as well. That is going to be a dreaded 5 hours.
    Why does your school not allow you to resit? That's a bit... daft?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack-)
    Why does your school not allow you to resit? That's a bit... daft?
    Apparently as we have to state on UCAS applications whether we have resit an exam, it would undermine our chances of getting into a good university. Most of my college is aiming for Oxbridge and other good unis.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently as we have to state on UCAS applications whether we have resit an exam, it would undermine our chances of getting into a good university. Most of my college is aiming for Oxbridge and other good unis.
    I was at one of them Oxbridge conferences, and they said the odd resit was fine; everyone suffers an off day now and then. It's when resitting becomes habitual that it is an issue, when everyday is an off day.

And surely, it is better to resit and get an 90+ UMS (or at least an A) than not resit and have a B or worse...

Which college do you go to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jack-)
    I was at one of them Oxbridge conferences, and they said the odd resit was fine; everyone suffers an off day now and then. It's when resitting becomes habitual that it is an issue, when everyday is an off day.

And surely, it is better to resit and get an 90+ UMS (or at least an A) than not resit and have a B or worse...

Which college do you go to?
    I guess they don't mean for us to have a resit in every subject if we take pointless early exams in January and then in June.

I go Woodhouse College.

ReputationRep:
    I talked to a guy from Oxford at university fairs thing. He said that generally they couldn't care less if a student has one or two retakes (he himself did over two retakes), but that several retakes in the same subject (especially in a subject related to your chosen course) will cause concern. It seems that Cambridge look at retakes more than oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, I haven't started revising yet. I have nine exams this summer. Slightly worried now.

ReputationRep:
    My revision has been mixed I suppose. Geography and History i'm working at a comfortable rate.
    Literature, i'm starting to pick up the pace, didn't realise how pedantic making notes for poems was. Also have to start looking at Jane Eyre notes, so this needs more work.
    Maths? Don't even go there. C1,C2,S1, my brain going to die. c1 I'm just looking through past papers but for c2 and s1 i'm so confused, i need to re learn the syllabus but at the same time i need to do past papers!

So yeah, about a month and a bit before exams start, let's all knuckle down!

ReputationRep:
    January was so easy.. only had one exam to worry about so I just revised that like mad... now it's all a bit

Physics i'm about half way though... but Just did an S1 past paper and I didn't know how to do half of it :/ As for C2... we haven't even learnt half the sylabus

ReputationRep:
    My teachers started giving us mock exams (which I suppose I should be grateful for as it motivated me to start revising) so I've finished Unit 1 & 2 Biology (although I think I still need to go over some stuff) and I've done a bit of M1 and C1 Maths (avoiding C2 at the moment because I hate it ).

ReputationRep:
    I haven't revised nearly enough to be procrastinating on on TSR.

I am doing 3 AS Levels and the Welsh Bacc Advanced: Religious Studies (Philosophy + Ethics), Sociology and a combined English Lit/Lang course.

Weirdly, I'm finding the Lang harder than the Lit, even though it's apparently "less respected". Probably because the two books we are doing are depressing as crap.

At the moment, I've made revision notes for RS (more like a 10 page booklet lol) and I'm in the process of making my Sociology notes. We've finished our English coursework recently so I haven't had time to make a start on that.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Angury)
    My teachers started giving us mock exams (which I suppose I should be grateful for as it motivated me to start revising) so I've finished Unit 1 & 2 Biology (although I think I still need to go over some stuff) and I've done a bit of M1 and C1 Maths (avoiding C2 at the moment because I hate it ).
    Are you doing OCR Biology? I'll swap my Maths revision for your Biology revision.

ReputationRep:
    I have 12 Exams - four of which are for a GCSE in a foreign language, the rest are for AS exams in Biology, Chemistry, Maths, German and Critical Thinking.

Just started revising a bit today, been on Easter holidays for a week. Not good. :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J.tytler)
    January was so easy.. only had one exam to worry about so I just revised that like mad... now it's all a bit

Physics i'm about half way though... but Just did an S1 past paper and I didn't know how to do half of it :/ As for C2... we haven't even learnt half the sylabus
    Do you do Edexcel Maths?

We just had an S1 mock two weeks ago (S1 June 2010) and it was 87% for a bloody A!!!!!!! :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I've been making revision notes, but making sure I learn from them also, then next week I'm gonna hit the past papers
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Do you do Edexcel Maths?

We just had an S1 mock two weeks ago (S1 June 2010) and it was 87% for a bloody A!!!!!!! :lolwut:
    Are you sure that wasn't just your school's grade boundary?

I've checked June 2010 Edexcel Grade Boundaries and you needed 55/75 (73%) in S1 for 80 UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    Are you sure that wasn't just your school's grade boundary?

I've checked June 2010 Edexcel Grade Boundaries and you needed 55/75 (73%) in S1 for 80 UMS.
    My friend checked the boundaries coming out of the exam hall on his Blackberry, I saw it :eek:

EDIT: Actually it might have been Jan 2010

ReputationRep:
    S1.. Thank goodness I'm not doing that again, the exam we had in Jan 11 wasn't a nice one :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegodofgod)
    Do you do Edexcel Maths?

Yeah I do unfortunatly... the grade boundries for edexcell are seriously confusing :/ My mate got 75% on Chemistry and got a C

Hopefully everyone does kinda **** so they lower the grade boundries this year :cool:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by CeeTay)
    How are you finding M1, i'm struggling quite a bit to say the least. i'm ploughing through past papers and i believe that i am slowly getting the hang of it but not with much confidence.
    i'm finding c2 okay atm tho so maybe we could share expertise?
    What are you finding hard with M1? I might be able to help, as I had a really good teacher this year who explained everything really well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groat)
    What are you finding hard with M1? I might be able to help, as I had a really good teacher this year who explained everything really well!
    Can you help me please?
    Any general tips on the exams and how to tackle the Vectors questions - all of them are so difficult!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.