Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffKayy)
    Only two? That's fab then. As Ode is pretty horrible as well as 1st september 1939. I'll stick with Miss Gee and O where are you going/O what is that sound.

Not any mocks really, just essay questions for homework. Been getting Band 5's. I really do not know what I can do to push it up to a 6, honestly. So frustrating :L

I did my coursework on Othello and Death of a salesman too, it was awful! My death of a salesman one was horrendous, so i've probably got a low mark in that!

I do AQA A for psychology
    O What is that sound is pretty strange I think, essentially being about a women developing cancer because she hasn't had sex :P My class believed he used that concept as some kind of chat up line/persuasion tool.

Luckily, I looked at the boundaries and hopefully this summer will be like January's; The paper needed 48/84 for an A and 64/84 for 100% UMS! I'm aiming for 64 haha :P I've done a Section A question un-timed [about 20mins over] and got 35/42 for it, awaiting marking of times one, so assuming it's not massively different I can afford a bit of flexibility in Section B which I find harder.

I checked 58/60 Raw on the AQA UMS Calculator for Jan 2011 and it came out as 77/80 UMS. An A is 160/200 total, so that leaves 83/120 UMS needed on the paper, which was 39/84 in Jan [So if I get 35 in Sec A, only 4 in sec B is neeed haha]

[Yes, I'm a Stats whore :P it gives me motivation to see what I roughly need]

I'm doing OCR for Psych, it's basically memorising loads about 15 studies and 7 perspectives :P

ReputationRep:
    Nothing. Going to start in the next couple of days. No resit chances for me wish I could go back to AS

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of room for improvement...

ReputationRep:
    Religious Studies OCR (Philosophy and ethics): Made notes on the whole of the philosophy module and all of the ethical theories. I have to do strengths and weaknesses of each theory and the applied ethics sections of the course though.
    History OCR (Russia and Tudors): Made revision cards on 4/5 Russia topics, haven't started revising Tudors yet but it is a source paper so there's not that much to go over
    Drama: Done 60percent of the course, performing a monologue for the last 40percent. Need to learn the monologue at some point but that will only take about 20 minutes :P
    English AQA (Great Gatsby, Kite Runner, Auden, Browning) : Probably not going to do too much revision, just starting to do past papers and going over the texts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Expendable)
    O What is that sound is pretty strange I think, essentially being about a women developing cancer because she hasn't had sex :P My class believed he used that concept as some kind of chat up line/persuasion tool.

Luckily, I looked at the boundaries and hopefully this summer will be like January's; The paper needed 48/84 for an A and 64/84 for 100% UMS! I'm aiming for 64 haha :P I've done a Section A question un-timed [about 20mins over] and got 35/42 for it, awaiting marking of times one, so assuming it's not massively different I can afford a bit of flexibility in Section B which I find harder.

I checked 58/60 Raw on the AQA UMS Calculator for Jan 2011 and it came out as 77/80 UMS. An A is 160/200 total, so that leaves 83/120 UMS needed on the paper, which was 39/84 in Jan [So if I get 35 in Sec A, only 4 in sec B is neeed haha]

[Yes, I'm a Stats whore :P it gives me motivation to see what I roughly need]

I'm doing OCR for Psych, it's basically memorising loads about 15 studies and 7 perspectives :P
    I'm not mathematically minded at all! But if I got 57/60 for the coursework (I assume you're on AQA English like myself) would you be able to tell me what I need to get in the exam to achieve an A

ReputationRep:
    OCR Religious Studies: barely done any
    History AQA: finishing today, European Reformation and Stalin's Russia
    English Lit: Finishing today notes on chapters etc
    Spanish AQA: finish speaking practice today and then concentrate on listening and reading up until the exam

General Studies: pft, not going to revise for that...

ReputationRep:
    I've just about finished going over the content, and have started busting out the past papers (yaaay...)

Edexcel C2 and S1: Going fairly well, the papers are pretty repetitive.
    Edexcel Spanish unit 2: Harder to revise for due to no clear structure and lack of past papers... so I'm just making up essay titles and doing flashcards for vocab.
    AQA CHEM2 and BIOL2: The papers are so freakin' long! I've separated the content out into stuff I need to memorise, and stuff I need to understand.

When it comes to my actual exam leave, I'll just cram up until the exam day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joell3)
    I'm not mathematically minded at all! But if I got 57/60 for the coursework (I assume you're on AQA English like myself) would you be able to tell me what I need to get in the exam to achieve an A
    Depends on the boundaries [congrats on cw marks by the way].

If the paper was like Jan 2011, you'd need 41/84 on the exam.
    If the paper was like June 2010, you'd need 45/84 on the exam.

Not bad, considering Section A and B are each 42 marks, you could potentially get an A by doing just one section, though I wouldn't recommend it :P
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Expendable)
    Depends on the boundaries [congrats on cw marks by the way].

If the paper was like Jan 2011, you'd need 41/84 on the exam.
    If the paper was like June 2010, you'd need 45/84 on the exam.

Not bad, considering Section A and B are each 42 marks, you could potentially get an A by doing just one section, though I wouldn't recommend it :P
    I'm hoping to have got my answers for Section A (a) sorted at around 20/21 so I can just learn them and copy them in the exam. There are only a few chapters left of The Great Gatsby that haven't been tested, so I think i'll be fine.

I'm hoping the boundaries are nice and low again for June 2011!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Done two core 2 papers today, starting to get the hang of logs, but now I'm a bit bored, might do some more biology biodiversity (possibly the most boring topic known to man)

ReputationRep:
    I haven't started. Still need to learn the last chapter of S2 Maths, I don't understand it at all
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by tateco)
    Done two core 2 papers today, starting to get the hang of logs, but now I'm a bit bored, might do some more biology biodiversity (possibly the most boring topic known to man)
    I've finally finished making notes on biodiversity and biology! Now it's time to start some past-papers.

ReputationRep:
    Around 15 hours worth
    which is roughly 3.5 british history essays
    4 Philosophy essays
    Reading philosophy
    Reading and planning English mock questions
    ...you get the jist
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Groat)
    I've finally finished making notes on biodiversity and biology! Now it's time to start some past-papers.
    What board are you on? I'm on OCR and the exams are so unpredictable, stupidly low grade boundaries though

ReputationRep:
    Geography: Done well over half, going well
    Maths: Nearly ready. Just need to practice C2 and S1 a bit more.
    Classics: Barely done any, starting today
    French: Memorised nearly all the phrases I'll need for the speaking, won't concentrate on the other paper till half term.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by tateco)
    What board are you on? I'm on OCR and the exams are so unpredictable, stupidly low grade boundaries though
    I'm on OCR as well. I'm just hoping plenty of past-papers will make the random questions seem less random.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juliewho)
    I take it you're on OCR? I wouldn't worry about learning quotes off by heart, I don't think I put any quotes in my Gatsby essay in Jan and got an A I think they're more looking for a good understanding and a few specific scenes you can remember that show different things. We got Insensibility for Jan (Wilfred Owen)and it was a really good exam I thought, don't panic at all for it because the more relaxed you are, the better your essay will flow
    Hey

You got Insensibility in Jan 2011? You have no idea how relieved I am! That makes only six poems to worry about now By any chance do you remember what the question was about? Like one year it was nature and Exposure? As I'm trying to revise for my English Lit exam next month.

Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    I've revised every day in the holidays, but I've had evenings free and three hour breaks in the middle of the day all the time, so I'm not stressed (apart from History! when I think of how badly I've been doing in past papers in lessons). But I've still got 1/2 of both History courses to finish in three weeks after school (Peel- Palmerston plus Ireland and foreign policy, and the Terror, Stalin's USSR and Stalinism) and I need to learn loads of topic related vocab in languages...
    Also need to keep looking at the mark scheme for English...
    What a boring post. What a boring holiday! No, I am not consumed by enthusiasm for my A levels!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slacker07906)
    Nothing. Going to start in the next couple of days. No resit chances for me wish I could go back to AS
    Well, at least your exams are slightly later. Good luck to you in your revision and exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chinaberry)
    I've revised every day in the holidays, but I've had evenings free and three hour breaks in the middle of the day all the time, so I'm not stressed (apart from History! when I think of how badly I've been doing in past papers in lessons). But I've still got 1/2 of both History courses to finish in three weeks after school (Peel- Palmerston plus Ireland and foreign policy, and the Terror, Stalin's USSR and Stalinism) and I need to learn loads of topic related vocab in languages...
    Also need to keep looking at the mark scheme for English...
    What a boring post. What a boring holiday! No, I am not consumed by enthusiasm by my A levels!
    I am literally exactly the same!!!! except I'm doing the European Reformation in History along with Stalin....:P

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.