Turn on thread page Beta

The answer to everything is all around us... watch

ReputationRep:
    Yet we're wasting billions every year sending probes out into space and wasting Earth's resources. Don't you see that this is illogical. If there was an intelligent designer then:

1) If he wanted us to find out the meaning of life in general, he'd leave a clue where we'd find it. The answer to the meaning of our existence isn't cosmic distances away because how would we find it? We will never travel faster than the speed of light so we are bounded to our solar system at the most.

2) The answer lies all around us. We are made out of the same matter as a planet on the other side of the universe, just arranged differently. Why do you think CERN exists? Scientists know this now and are finally seeing results.

I'm sick and tired of reading stories of people believeing that us humans will have colonies beyond the galaxy. It's almost certain that we won't. Please stop clinging to your pseudoscientific fantasies. WE CAN'T TRAVEL FASTER THAN LIGHT. So how do you expect us to leave the solar system? We can't and we won't. What have we gained in our quest for the ultimate answer by sending probes out into space? Nothing. What have we gained in out quest for the ultimate answer through studying processes all around us. Everything.

I'm also tired of notions that beyond the solar system there's a magical realm where the the laws of Physics don't apply. Nonsense. The universe will have a consistent structure throughout. It is not clever to explore beyond Earth. Look at it like this. We have telescopes that allow us to see a sample of galaxies that tell us that the universe looks like that wherever you go in it. You don't suddenly go to another sector and it changes. Laws of physics are consistent throughout it. Why go to the other side of the universe. We are at the other side of the universe right not. Imagine earth at the other side of the universe then look out through a telescope. You'll see the same matter as you did before only arranged differently. People seem to be under the illusion that Earth changes our surroundings. It doesn't. It just happens to be by chance that the Earth is in the location it is in today.

A planet is a planet. A rock is a rock. We have 9 planets in our solar system. Every planet is different. What does this tell us? It tells us that wherever we go in the universe, we will find these planets again, again, and again. There is no ultimate planet that exists beyond reality. The planets you will find are those that are (i) rocky inhospitable worlds (ii) Gas giants (iii) Those capable of supporting life - The probability of a gas giants and rocky planets is greater than planets capable of supporting life. How do we know this? We know this by looking at out solar system and beyond through telescopes. Our solar system is the ultimate representation of the diversity of planets we'd find in the universe.

I see no reason why should we travel further and further into the universe? What we see from Earth is a sufficient representative of what the whole universe will look like. Just look at the design and structure of the universe. An intelligent designer has designed it this was intentionally to inform us that travelling vast distances doesn't provide the answers we're designed to look for. Rather the answers are around us. Why do you think space is hostile? It was designed to stop us from going there because there is no need to. If we were meant to travel in space beyond our solar system then (i) Everything would be closer together. The universe is expanding and this is yet another indicator to assume that traveling within is unnecessary. The fact is, it's illogical to peruse any notions that the answer is beyond our solar system because of the vast distances needed to travel at a maximum speed (c) because it would be impractical and illogical to do so.

I believe we're reaching a technological maximum very soon, beyond which we can't advance further with the resources at our disposal. Yet another indication that there is an intelligent designer because we don't have the resources to travel vast distances in space, the answer must logically lie closer to us than further away. There's only so much we can do with the depleting resources we have on our planet. Similary there's only a limited number of arrangements you can arrange the number 1234. 4! = 24.

You don't seem to understand the practicalities of moving beyond Earth as I do. Firstly, if we were approaching a technological maximum then we don't have the resources to look beyond Earth. We can't physically do it. It's impossible. It's like saying 'I'm going to get a degree in maths but I can't count to 10'. We don't know any planets that are suitable for us outside our solar system. If we do find a planet, how do we get there. Assume that we are at a point were 'new telescope design' has enabled us to manufacture a telescope to detect planets up to 100000 light years diameter of Earth. We found one 10000 light years away. How do we get there? Now let's turn to science fiction, 'well let's build a big spaceship and put everyone in it and fly to it yeay!'. No. We would have to travel 10000 years at close to the speed of light to reach it. Then we have problems, well if it's 1000 light years away then by the time we get there time would have passed 10000 times faster ( I don't do the maths). Time would have also taken 10000 years to get to us. The probability of the planet actually being hospitable by the time we arrive is slim. The atmosphere may have altered. Anything could've happened. Link back to our solar system. The proof is again all around us and this again supports the concept of an intelligent designer. I know you might think I'm negative but I'm only being practicle about this.

Logically the answer to everything will be derived (perhaps mathematically) from what we see in our visible spectrum - not light years away in a location similar to that directly outside Earth. We will remain on Earth until we either blow ourselves up or until the Sun expands in 4 billion years.

Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

/thread.

ReputationRep:
    You're right, love is the answer to everything, and so the feeling grows.

ReputationRep:
    Suppose we could travel faster than light. Time dilation occurs. You see this is what people don't understand. Imagine we have detected a planet 10000 years away that's similar to Earth and can sustain life. Light would have taken 10000 years to travel to us. By the time we travel to the planet, time slows down for us but not for New Earth. We arrive at New Earth. It is no longer capable of supporting life because the atmosphere was gradually changing. Of course, we didn't know this because how could we?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, even though the laws of physics may be the same everywhere, it's sometimes extremely difficult to observe it on Earth. Take Einstein's theory of relativity for example - if it weren't for the fact that Mercury's orbit is slightly different to what Newton predicted, we would never have known any different. Human-sized physics is now pretty well understood - all the new developments focus either on the very large or the very small.

I'm sick and tired of reading stories of people believeing that us humans will have colonies beyond the galaxy. It's almost certain that we won't. Please stop clinging to your pseudoscientific fantasies. WE CAN'T TRAVEL FASTER THAN LIGHT. So how do you expect us to leave the solar system? We can't and we won't. What have we gained in our quest for the ultimate answer by sending probes out into space? Nothing. What have we gained in out quest for the ultimate answer through studying processes all around us. Everything.
    No-one says anything about travelling faster than light. To get to a planet ten light years away would take at the very least ten years, and probably more like a hundred. But the point is that while this may be too far to permit any meaningful contact, it's not too far to prevent some small-scale colonization. One day, whether it's by a rogue asteroid or a huge volcanic eruption, life on Earth is going to be fatally threatened and unless we want to risk extinction we have no choice but to put a few people into hibernation, send them off in the direction of a habitable planet and hope for the best.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.