Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

£700 to throw around this summer...:) watch

ReputationRep:
    So I have £700 in my savings account and 2 months of free time to spare this summer...what do i do?

Thinking in the way of overseas travel btw Waiting for your ideas...

ReputationRep:
    You won't get much further than Europe on your budget. Flights to America/Africa/Asia are in excess of £400 leaving you £300 to travel. You could go to Asia with £300 spending money, but it'd last you 2 weeks max.

Have a ganda around Europe

ReputationRep:
    you can throw it all into my bank account.....

ReputationRep:
    Portugal? Algarve? Canary Islands?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Interailling Get to do a lot of travel over all of Europe and good fun

ReputationRep:
    Go to a couple of festivals?

ReputationRep:
    Interrailling, for sure!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Understood)
    how very original...
    given that no-one else has given that answer.....

yes it is

ReputationRep:
    Invest it in stock. Just cos you got money, doesnt mean one has to spend it.

ReputationRep:
    This will give you an idea of costs for Interrailing: http://www.seat61.com/Europe-train-travel.htm

Careful though, sometimes it's cheaper to buy the tickets as you go rather than buy an Interrail pass.

ReputationRep:
    on the rocks babyyy

ReputationRep:
    Vegas baby.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NIrish)
    Check out Student BrakeAway
    *like*

ReputationRep:
    Portugese bonds and then travel next year.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Cross-europe cycle. One guy i met doing this spent £2 per day.

ReputationRep:
    Spain, Morocco, India are cheap, although it is monsoon in India. As with everywhere depends what conditions you want to live in, and whether you want to stay in major cities. Turkeys pretty cheap too especially in the east.

ReputationRep:
    Do a charity event. You pay a deposit, shouldn't be more than £700, which includes accommodation food etc. You also have to raise a certain amount of money, around £2000 or so. But there are some amazing events out there. Cycle the wall of China etc. Not sure you'll have enough time to organise it though. In fact, two months definately isn't enough. Never mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Cross-europe cycle. One guy i met doing this spent £2 per day.
    I'm intrigued. Sounds like my type of holiday. What did he do for accommodation etc? Where did he start and finish?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheCount.)
    I'm intrigued. Sounds like my type of holiday. What did he do for accommodation etc? Where did he start and finish?
    Well ok i exaggerated slightly - the guy i was referring to was on a 13-year round-the-world cycle starting in australia and finishing in canada, covering over 100 countries. To date he had spent something like 1 aussie dollar per day (like 50p), but then it had been through indonesia and china mostly (although some australia).

There was another guy who did far-eastern siberia to the UK (via australia), although i can't remember his exact costings. He did say that many days he spent nothing as people would give him food and a lot of the time he'd get free accommodation in people's houses (especially in siberia where it hit -40C!!)

They both carried a tent with them. They weren't anything special - one was an engineer who got bored with his job, the other was a teacher who wanted to do something interesting, so its definitely achievable. The only skill you do need is the know-how on how to fix a bike. Plus a lot of determination clearly

With regards to a european trip, you can either go one way and try to have a flight back organized (probably dumping the bike, i guess). If i were doing it though i'd do a loop to bring you back to the UK. Something like south france to croatia up to north german and back. Longer variations could include greece, or go even further east... could last as long as you want it to really, and once you have a bike, tent and repair kit you only need to fund food.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's alright for some people

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.