Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

£700 to throw around this summer...:) watch

ReputationRep:
    Give it to charity and hitch hike to alaska, then write a book about it.

ReputationRep:
    Cheap flight to Europe, get Interrail ticket, stay in hostels, see the sights B)

ReputationRep:
    I second vegas :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Buy an oz or four, sit inside for 2 months with a brand shiny new world of Warcraft subscription xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Cross-europe cycle. One guy i met doing this spent £2 per day.
    Easily the best suggestion - a cycle trip across europe!

Myself & 2 friends made it to Marrakech by bicycle. Spent less than £1000 over 9 weeks including all ferries, food, accomadation (but we mostly slept rough) & the flight home.

Cycling isn't difficult & its the cheapest way to travel. I even used a old road bike I got from a car boot sale for £20.

Or save some more money & go interrailing for 4 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    a ****load of hookers

(Original post by S129439)
    Portugal? Algarve? Canary Islands?
    No, no and no. Worst holiday ever.

OP you lucky *******, find somewhere you've never been to in Europe before and have a blast. If I were you I'd go to Italy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smurf2.0)
    Invest it in stock. Just cos you got money, doesnt mean one has to spend it.
    How boring.

ReputationRep:
    Could go for a package holiday which are cheap though sometimes tacky, probably can't venture much further than Europe with that amount of cash purely due to flight costs.

Ideas of cycling/interrailing all sound good, maybe try out a cheap European country as well so that your cash will last longer (ie. Eastern Europe like Greece/Turkey as opposed to France/Germany).

ReputationRep:
    What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas............... Except for herpes, ****'ll come back with ya.

Go to Vegas :P.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Student BrakeAway aswell ... excited but nervous because i'm joining up with an old 'romance' from last year ... but there is a minefield of issues involvwd with us ... oh well here goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    There was another guy who did far-eastern siberia to the UK (via australia), although i can't remember his exact costings. He did say that many days he spent nothing as people would give him food and a lot of the time he'd get free accommodation in people's houses (especially in siberia where it hit -40C!!)

They both carried a tent with them. They weren't anything special - one was an engineer who got bored with his job, the other was a teacher who wanted to do something interesting, so its definitely achievable. The only skill you do need is the know-how on how to fix a bike. Plus a lot of determination clearly

If all people were like those two, you are talking about, I would be really happy. Cause I'd start my own small travel business then.

ReputationRep:
    yeah I think StudentBrake Away would be a good bet you you, or maybe some smallwer UK events like beach break live etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samuelv-37)
    So I have £700 in my savings account and 2 months of free time to spare this summer...what do i do?

Thinking in the way of overseas travel btw Waiting for your ideas...
    You are going to study the language which is native at the places where I live. Unfortunately if to count the prices of local tour-operators, VISA and the flight, you'll spend your £700 just in three days overhere, and you'll be able to see only one city.
    Let's better make a social experiment and you'll try to spend two weeks at my area for this £700. Two weeks, and you'll see 5-10 cities/towns. You'll write a blog, post there photoes, video and so on.

Today is the bad day, I opened the floor at the garage, 6 f of water downstairs. :cry2: I have never seen so much, too snow winter and too late spring. (usually 1-3 f of water at spring) I have lost exactly the potato harvest which I've collected at my garden at town (I have two gardens: in the country is bigger one) this summer. The same harvest although I could get at market for 70 £. So if I could grew the same 70 £ potato harvest, giving you a ground for a tent for two weeks in my small town garden, it would be much better. You'll travel around by local buses/trains, I'll give the rest to my land after previous difficult summer. Besides you'll promote such an advanture in your travel blog. Certainly everything will be in the right way - I'll help with VISA, and the agrement. I'll provide the agrement in both languages, but according to Russian Federation Civil Code.
    Right now I drank some, so I won't describe you the details. I have spent several hours at the garage, but the water continued to enter from the garages of neighbours, so it seems in wain.
    Anyway if you want to talk, I'm not mysterious person, I have Skype. I also may give you links to science Uni journals which already have published my articles, and even stipulate where to look for my next science article which will appear at May. When I'll get my Law PhD, I may give you link to Russian State Library, where my PhD dissertation will have place together with dissertations of other people.
    So I really see no problem for Russian lawyer who lives in the centre of Golden Ring of Russia to lead his own small business, reducing expenses for not rich abroad students (I myself not from rich family, so I couldn't afford accomodation at Moscow, and five years used trains to Moscow and back day by day, to get degree and some knowledge of English). The main question is just to begin, cause if it will be worth people will start to ask me for the same help regular.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.