Turn on thread page Beta

How do you assess your driving instructor? watch

ReputationRep:
    I have my first lesson this week with BSM. I am aware that sometimes you can get really good instructors and really bad ones by booking with the major companies.

What can I observe or ask of my driving instructor to see if he will be a good teacher? Afterall, no one wants to waste their money!

Quote me and any good advice will be +ve repped!

Thank youu

ReputationRep:
    Put your foot down and head straight for the nearest solid object.
    If he stops the car before you hit it, he's good :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    And that is why, you're going to be studying law. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    And that is why, you're going to be studying law. :tongue:
    Because I have no soul? :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    Make sure they don't fanny around at the beginning talking about rubbish not related to driving .. Your paying them to gossip. And if they chat all the time your driving whilst your trying to concentrate tell them to shut up.

ReputationRep:
    Because I have no soul? :sexface:
    If only.

ReputationRep:
    LMAO! I shall deffo be trying that hahaa!

P.S Loving the sex face lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbow249)
    I have my first lesson this week with BSM. I am aware that sometimes you can get really good instructors and really bad ones by booking with the major companies.

What can I observe or ask of my driving instructor to see if he will be a good teacher? Afterall, no one wants to waste their money!

Thank youu
    Check they have a green instructor's licence and not a pink one. If they have a pink one, they are a trainee and need dropping.

Then ask him or her what grade of instructor they are. This will be a grade from 1 to 6. If they are a 1 or 2 they shouldn't be working. 3 means they are useless, 4 isn't brilliant, 5 is good, 6 is in the top 10%.

I would only have a grade 5 or 6 teaching anyone in my family.

Edit: some drongo neg repped that! Even though it's totally accurate fact, not opinion...ha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baffled_mathman)
    Check they have a green instructor's licence and not a pink one. If they have a pink one, they are a trainee and need dropping.

Then ask him or her what grade of instructor they are. This will be a grade from 1 to 6. If they are a 1 or 2 they shouldn't be working. 3 means they are useless, 4 isn't brilliant, 5 is good, 6 is in the top 10%.

Edit: some drongo neg repped that! Even though it's totally accurate fact, not opinion...ha!
    Lol, must be a noob, cos thats good advice mate! I positived it! :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm with BSM and have had 4 different instructors.

Number 1- Shouted lots and I didn't teach me anything
    Number 2- I loved but left due to an argument with the company
    Number 3- Told me he drank lots, took me on the motorway and almost killed me (Thanks to him I feel ill every time I have a lesson)
    Number 4- He's pretty nice and assures me that he wont let anything bad happen in the car but I'm still lacking lots of confidence.

My feeling is that if you are sitting in the car just hoping that the clock will go faster so that the lesson is over then that instructor probably isn't suited to you

ReputationRep:
    LMAO! I shall deffo be trying that hahaa!

P.S Loving the sex face lol!
    Everyone loves the sex face :sexface:

EDIT: Well one person obviously doesn't :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    sorry...only clicked this because i thought it said 'asses'.lol

ReputationRep:
    When I read this thread last night, I almost cried. As always there is some good advice and some that is just plain barmy.

(Original post by hannahsl)
    The first thing i asked mine was his pass rate, no point having an instructor who nobody passes with.

Then on my first lesson i told him that i was a quick learner and i don't mess around type thing, and so he knew not to do the same thing with me for loads of lessons, and i found him a really good teacher.

Good luck!
    Consider this scenario. Instructor 1: "I have a 100% rate" - what they haven't told you is that they won't let anyone take their test until they have done 15 mock tests, the last 5 of them without any faults at all. 100 hours of lessons minimum before taking the test. Instructor 2: "I have a 70% pass rate" - what they haven't said is that they put people in for test as soon as possible regardless of the number of lessons.

Which one would you rather learn with? Who is the better instructor?

Secondly, if anyone got in the car and dictated to me what I should be teaching and how I should be teaching it, they wouldn't last long. Yes, you are the customer but I am the instructor and the 'expert' and I should be identifying what you need and how to impart it to you.

Brilliant!!!!!!

(Original post by insignificant)
    Make sure they don't fanny around at the beginning talking about rubbish not related to driving .. Your paying them to gossip. And if they chat all the time your driving whilst your trying to concentrate tell them to shut up.
    As an instructor, you need to build a rapport with a new pupil, some of whom are incredibly nervous on a first lesson. If chatting helps with the learning process, it can be a useful mechanism. Later on, what you say is very true and I have very occasionally been told to shut up by pupils

(Original post by fosters88)
    delibrately make some driving errors and see how the Instructor responds.
    i.e. you want to be informed that you have made an error, what the error is and how to correct it.
    If they do none of that or cannot explain things in a way you understand then there is no point them being your Instructor.
    "...make some driving errors" - you are kidding aren't you? Most new pupils wouldn't know an error if it smacked them in the face! With new pupils, if I picked up every error they made on the first lesson, they would get out the car with their confidence completely shattered and I would lose a pupil.

(Original post by baffled_mathman)

Some of what you say is good. If it's a pink licence, then they are a trainee. True, but that doesn't mean that you should drop them. Some outstanding instructors started on a pink licence - should we not let them train? By all means ask for a discount but don't dismiss people for no reason. Some trainees are better than people who have been doing it for 20 years!

Grades! If they are a 1 or 2 they won't be, at least not for long. 3, they are already on the slippery slope.

4 is acceptable and most instructors are grade 4, including me. In the first year having qualified, you have to take a check test which is what the grading is based on. Most people, due to inexperience, get a grade 4 on their first check test. That doesn't make them a bad instructor, in fact they might be very good, but they are inexperienced and that shows to an experienced examiner.

When I qualified, I passed phase 1 with a 5 and phase 2 with a 6, which, within the training establishment i was with was unheard of. At my first check test I then got a 4. I would have liked higher but I accept that I am still learning my trade. Am I a good instructor? Yes, I believe I am. Could I be better? Yes, I could.

Everybody has to start somewhere.

Thank youu
    To answer the original post.

1. Rapport - do you get on with your instructor?
    2. Did you click on a communication level?
    3. Did he listen to what you said and respond to it?
    4. Was he encouraging?
    5. Did you get out of the car thinking "I really enjoyed that".
    6. Did you know, at the beginning of the lesson what you were going to learn and did you learn it?

Results are everything. If you get out of the car feeling positive having learned something, then he has achieved - and so have you.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    My BSM instructor never gave me any feedback. He used to tell me "We'll go over it next lesson" and he never did. That probably went on for 25 lessons.

So my advice would be ask for feedback. If after atleast 5 lessons he blows you off with it, then start to consider looking for another instructor.

That might not even happen though and like you said, you get your good and bad instructors at any major driving company.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.