College Rents Watch

This discussion is closed.
Minta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Just having read that weekly rents at St Andrews are set to rise by 27% got me wondering about Cam college rates. Does anyone know where I can find information on the weekly rents charged by the various colleges? I'm especially concerned with New Hall as that's where I'm going in October, but I'd also be interested to compare prices with the other colleges.
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Just having read that weekly rents at St Andrews are set to rise by 27% got me wondering about Cam college rates. Does anyone know where I can find information on the weekly rents charged by the various colleges? I'm especially concerned with New Hall as that's where I'm going in October, but I'd also be interested to compare prices with the other colleges.
I don't know about Cambridge but there has been a pretty big scandal in Oxford about the fixing of room rents. Here there are massive differences between the prices charged by different colleges, and I imagine it will be similar. Generally the richer colleges have lower rents, so unfortunately I imagine a modestly-endowed college like New Hall will have fairly high rents, but you'd have to check this out. Yo could maybe try their prospectus?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
Minta
Rep:
?
(Original post by hildabeast)
I don't know about Cambridge but there has been a pretty big scandal in Oxford about the fixing of room rents. Here there are massive differences between the prices charged by different colleges, and I imagine it will be similar. Generally the richer colleges have lower rents, so unfortunately I imagine a modestly-endowed college like New Hall will have fairly high rents, but you'd have to check this out. Yo could maybe try their prospectus?

Thanks for your suggestion, but I've already looked in the New Hall website and offical and alternative prospectus, and while they seem very informative in most areas, they are strangely silent on this matter...
hildabeast
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Minta)
Thanks for your suggestion, but I've already looked in the New Hall website and offical and alternative prospectus, and while they seem very informative in most areas, they are strangely silent on this matter...
Hmmm, maybe you could send an email to the Bursar or something? He/she might be able to help.

Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by hildabeast)

nah, it's exactly the same here. I think Churchill is about to get 25% increase in rents, Kings went on strike about theirs, and other students are winging. Cept Catz, they're very chuffed
J
Minta
Rep:
?
(Original post by foolfarian)
nah, it's exactly the same here. I think Churchill is about to get 25% increase in rents, Kings went on strike about theirs, and other students are winging. Cept Catz, they're very chuffed
J
How come catz are so pleased?
blissy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I'm at New Hall and room rents this year range from 363 to 663 per term. The letter we received about room rents only says that "The rent levels for 2004/5 have yet to be agreed but will obviously be higher than the current rent."

There's also a bit of a worry among us students because it says that this year perhaps they won't be able to accommodate everyone in college. When allocating rooms they put you in divisions so if you were in a single room in your first year you are at the bottom, if you shared you are second to bottom, if you are in teh second year and in a single room you are third, if you are in the second year but shared throughout your first year you are near the top. I am sharing now so I'm definitely going to get a room this year and next because I will be in a better section than the majority of the first year. Sharing isn't too bad and it is A LOT cheaper. The split-level rooms work really well. My rent is only 363 a term and I suppose that can't go up too much....?
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by blissy)
I'm at New Hall and room rents this year range from 363 to 663 per term. The letter we received about room rents only says that "The rent levels for 2004/5 have yet to be agreed but will obviously be higher than the current rent."

There's also a bit of a worry among us students because it says that this year perhaps they won't be able to accommodate everyone in college. When allocating rooms they put you in divisions so if you were in a single room in your first year you are at the bottom, if you shared you are second to bottom, if you are in teh second year and in a single room you are third, if you are in the second year but shared throughout your first year you are near the top. I am sharing now so I'm definitely going to get a room this year and next because I will be in a better section than the majority of the first year. Sharing isn't too bad and it is A LOT cheaper. The split-level rooms work really well. My rent is only 363 a term and I suppose that can't go up too much....?
U mean to say you share a bedroom? What about when you need to 'get it on'? Do you have to make arrangement for your sharers to go away?
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I pay £660 a term, but I do have one of the nicest sets in the college. This year, a lot of the 2nd years were living in "cosy doubles" because refurbishment work was being done on part of the colony, so they were sharing sets in Mem court and paying minuscule rents for them. I'm not sure if we have any where people actually share bedrooms.
Mentally Ill
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Helenia)
I pay £660 a term, but I do have one of the nicest sets in the college. This year, a lot of the 2nd years were living in "cosy doubles" because refurbishment work was being done on part of the colony, so they were sharing sets in Mem court and paying minuscule rents for them. I'm not sure if we have any where people actually share bedrooms.
I am sorry, I have no idea what you refer to when you say 'sets' or 'Mem court' . What is a shared set?

Gowns, Black tie, white tie, Sets, mem court; all this stuff. Where can i learn about this? I am going to feel so silly on my first few days.
Minta
Rep:
?
(Original post by blissy)

Why might they not be able to house all the students in college next year? Is it because too many people got their grades and so there is a surplus of students (although how can they know what the situation will be with next year's first years, who are still to get their A levels). Also, where do they intend to put people if there isn't enough room in college?
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
There's going to be a lot more of that this year... they're refurbishing thirkhill (again!) and that's taking out _lots_ of rooms.
I hope you've got a good ballot number this year.

Q1 was only 595 for me last year, which I thought was pretty reasonable. Castle end is 560 this year

I believe rents are rising by 7.7% this year at Clare. Don't quote me on that though.

Alaric.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mentally Ill)
I am sorry, I have no idea what you refer to when you say 'sets' or 'Mem court' . What is a shared set?
Sets = set of more than one room. With single occupancy this usually equates to a study/living room and a bedroom - sometimes also a shower/loo.
A shared set is traditionally where you have a study/living room with two bedrooms coming off it. Some colleges have a slightly different notion and have just two bedrooms and you have to go through one to get to another.
Clare has a couple of traditional shared sets, and a fair number of ordinary single occupancy sets. Last term some of the single occupancy sets were converted for use by two people so that they had time to refurbish some rooms at the colony (which is where most 2nd and 3rd years live in Clare - it's near Magdalene).
Mem court is is where first years at Clare live. It's actually a set of courts comprising of Ashby, Thirkhill and Memorial courts.

(Original post by Mentally Ill)
Gowns, Black tie, white tie, Sets, mem court; all this stuff. Where can i learn about this? I am going to feel so silly on my first few days.
Your union should send you a student handbooky thing and that will normally have a bit of a glossary, if you look on the CUSU site then they probably have one too. Everyone else is feeling the same though, so don't worry. The first week is just crazy anyway! I bet Helenia doesn't even remember anything about my computer intro talk except it was utterly pointless! Most people kind of walk around from place to place in a daze trying to take it all in, make friends, have meetings, join societies, start lectures, PUB CRAWLing, attending safety talks, etc etc

Alaric.
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Alaric)
The first week is just crazy anyway! I bet Helenia doesn't even remember anything about my computer intro talk except it was utterly pointless!
Actually, I don't even know if I went to your computer talk, Alaric! I went to one, but whether it was you or the other guy doing it, I really don't have a clue. Oh, and I've got 23 on the ballot, which isn't bad. My next door neighbour got 138 - the lowest there is!

There is a lot of Cambridge slang, but you pick it up really quickly. Some of it is stupid; some of it is more commonly used. Boaties (people who row) have another whole vocabulary of their own :rolleyes: )

Black/white tie are more universal though - they are dresscodes referring to what men should wear. Apart from May Balls, there aren't that many occasions for it, I don't think.
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Actually, I don't even know if I went to your computer talk, Alaric! I went to one, but whether it was you or the other guy doing it, I really don't have a clue. Oh, and I've got 23 on the ballot, which isn't bad. My next door neighbour got 138 - the lowest there is!
I took the groups who said they knew how to use computers, I'm the taller blonde haired (though I had just had a grade 3 cut then) one as opposed to the shorter dark haired japanese obsessed one. Only three people didn't turn up at all if I recall correctly, the UCS informed me afterwards that two of them weren't coming ever.
23 most years should get you into Castle House (approximately ten to fifteen years old and always hot), though this year really is going to be mad so you may only get to Castle End. Which isn't that bad, but it's probably worth investigating everywhere on the colony open day.
Your friend could be in trouble though, encourage them to either go for shared accommodation or a cosy double... the alternatives are going to be grim.

Black/white tie are more universal though - they are dresscodes referring to what men should wear. Apart from May Balls, there aren't that many occasions for it, I don't think.
The occasional 'super' formal hall requires it, I'm going to the annual Clare natsci/compsci dinner next week with Nobel prize winner Tim Hunt speaking and that requires black tie. Magdalene is the only college that has a white tie may ball I think.
Musicians seem to do black tie quite a lot, but for everyone else it seems like a very occasional thing.
Black tie = Dinner jacket + trousers, black bow tie, dress shirt, cummerband (usually a black one, but I only have a red one so I usually wear that).
White tie = The same but with a white bow tie and white cummerband I think. Never had the occasion to where white tie.

Alaric.
Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 14 years ago

There is a lot of Cambridge slang, but you pick it up really quickly. Some of it is stupid; some of it is more commonly used. Boaties (people who row) have another whole vocabulary of their own :rolleyes: )

White tie is a very rare dress code that will probably come up all of once or twice in anyones time at Cambridge
Helenia
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
I took the groups who said they knew how to use computers, I'm the taller blonde haired (though I had just had a grade 3 cut then) one as opposed to the shorter dark haired japanese obsessed one.
Yeah, that would have been the one I went to. I kid myself I know about computers :rolleyes: . I don't use the college computers any more though - I've got my own (hence the ridiculous time I spend on here whilst kidding myself that I'm working)

The only bit of the colony I've been in is Castle end, I really hope I don't end up there, but I wouldn't mind cosy doubling really if it meant not living there! Plus quite a few of my friends are low down, so might be glad of the boost to their average!
Alaric
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Yeah, that would have been the one I went to. I kid myself I know about computers :rolleyes: . I don't use the college computers any more though - I've got my own (hence the ridiculous time I spend on here whilst kidding myself that I'm working)
I only use the college computers when something goes wrong with mine or the power dies in Castle End . Last night was funny I was using an iMac and a PC simultaneously and had logged into two remote computers (one in the lab, one running the UCS site) in order to do my work. People must wonder :rolleyes:.
This place is quite addictive, someone ought to makesure I don't come on here next term, I want to do better than last year.

The only bit of the colony I've been in is Castle end, I really hope I don't end up there, but I wouldn't mind cosy doubling really if it meant not living there! Plus quite a few of my friends are low down, so might be glad of the boost to their average!
Oh yeah, of course, I remember now, for the family meal. It's really not that bad, they'll publish a list of rooms open for you to look at on the colony open day but if I'm in you're welcome to look around mine as well. Of couse all CE rooms are identical anyhow! I wouldn't be surprised if there were Old Court rooms being cosy doubled... so you may be interested in that.

Alaric.
blissy
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The double rooms at new hall are two bedrooms, one on top of the other, with stairs. My room mate goes away nearly every weekend and my boyfriend lives in a flat in Cambridge. I don't know why they might not be able to accommodate everyone - I suppose everywhere is just taking more students?
Radagasty
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
The occasional 'super' formal hall requires it, I'm going to the annual Clare natsci/compsci dinner next week with Nobel prize winner Tim Hunt speaking and that requires black tie. Magdalene is the only college that has a white tie may ball I think.
Musicians seem to do black tie quite a lot, but for everyone else it seems like a very occasional thing.
Black tie = Dinner jacket + trousers, black bow tie, dress shirt, cummerband (usually a black one, but I only have a red one so I usually wear that).
White tie = The same but with a white bow tie and white cummerband I think. Never had the occasion to where white tie.
Someone mentioned black tie for formal halls, but it's not required, is it? After all, doesn't one usually wear academic gowns to formal halls, in which case black tie would look a lilttle silly under it.

By the way, I think there is more of a difference between black and white tie than simple the colour of the tie and cummerbund. I think white ties call for tails, top-hat, cane, etc.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (108)
19.78%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
40.66%
Nope, not that interesting (216)
39.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed