Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    http://www.explosm.net/db/files/Comics/Kris/illness.png

Might as well be happy (even if that means ignorant) until the bad stuff hits!

ReputationRep:
    Oh shut up. There's more to life than money. People are just appreciating what they have - people who care about them, fun, youth, aspirations, life. Why would you question that?

ReputationRep:
    In the wise words of Bobby Mcferrin - "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pixxie)
    What's the point of spending your life unhappy?? No matter how bad stuff gets, there will be always something to look forward to
    It's sometimes nice not knowing where your life is heading, that's what makes it exciting
    This.

As if you're honestly saying people should be more depressed. What is depression going to cause?

+ it's not really like that, things will get better. Think about the now, not the past/future.

ReputationRep:
    Oh noes, I might not be super rich in the future! Better go top myself...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Paris, it was 25 degrees celsius and sunny this afternoon and I got to sit in the Jardin du Luxembourg eating an icecream in between lectures. I'd have to be a pretty miserable, ungrateful person to complain after that!

But in general I think life's too short to spend all of it stressing and sulking. Get out and enjoy it while you can...I know 'you never know how long you've got' is clichéd, but there's a lot of truth in it in my experience

ReputationRep:
    I like my life, que sera sera, what's the point in getting depressed over something that you can't change?

ReputationRep:
    becasue we have alcohol and sex

ReputationRep:
    We might be in debt for the rest of our lives, but at least we wanna enjoy getting there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick Travis)
    Or, why aren't more young people depressed? Look at the future you are facing. Bad jobs on low pay for the majority, no real security and lots of debt. It amazes me that more youngsters AREN'T miserable. Don't you care? Or are you in denial about all this and relying on the bank of mum and dad?
    I kinda agree with, i keep thinking about the future, but people have to realise that we are in the present and we gotta work hard now. But i keep thinking the same as you :'(

ReputationRep:
    No low-paid job for me. Starting work as a pre-reg pharmacist in August and the pay's good for a training position, and with prescription charges dropped and new services there's not going to be a shortage of work for me - getting paid a decent wage for a job I love

ReputationRep:
    Or, why aren't more young people depressed? Look at the future you are facing. Bad jobs on low pay for the majority, no real security and lots of debt. It amazes me that more youngsters AREN'T miserable. Don't you care? Or are you in denial about all this and relying on the bank of mum and dad?
    I don't rely on the bank of Mum and Dad now and no, I'm excited about the future. After all, it is what I make it. Even if it isn't that easy, and there are no jobs, and no security, that's part of the fun! If I knew what was going to happen, it'd be well boring

I honestly do not know how I could be happier currently. My life seems to be on course for what I want!

I have suffered depression in the past, but that was due to mental state rather than circumstance.

Sure the job market is ****, but there is no point in moping about.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of other opportunities ahead of us. We have a chance to pursue anything we want, and we have many years of good things to look forward to, we have hope, something good is going to happen, even if it's only one.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the dose of pessimism OP!

IMO, it's either this life, or none.

Besides, what's my suffering compared to that of a starving child in sub-Saharan Africa with no clean water and about 20% chance of living past the age of 5?

Just because things are relatively bleak for what was once a prosperous world leading nation doesn't mean we have to wallow in self pity and kill ourselves. We still have it pretty good and have a wealth of opportunities and resources! I feel lucky to be English!

ReputationRep:
    Clearly not read enough threads on H+R

ReputationRep:
    well aren't you a cheerful chappie

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough world...BUT it's better to remain positive and work hard so that you don't face the struggle instead of sitting down all miserable just accepting the ****.

ReputationRep:
    I wasn't aware it was opposite day.

ReputationRep:
    If you watched the news you would have noticed this morning's story about the alarming amount of anti-depressants doctors are giving out. There appears to be an epidemic of depression among people in their late teens and twenties. ! in 5 people suffer depression and some point in their life but there are a lot of people either suffering from of believing they're suffering from depression at the moment. We do care and we are worried about it. A hell of a lot of us are very miserable.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.