Okay guys, here's the situation.
One of my grandparents currently suffers from HD and needs 24 hours a day care. Now, the disease has a 50% chance of passing onto a son or daughter of a carrier. This means that right now, I have a 25% of having the disease as my the parent in question doesn't know if they have it yet.
There is a test that can be taken to see if you have the disease, however my parent doesn't want to find out if they have the disease because it would be stressful to know that when you're older you are going to become a burden and have some the symptoms shown on the wiki page, which I find very understandable
I'm living worried that I might have the disease and wondering whether I should take the test.
This gives me 3 scenarios.
A: I take the test. Find out that I have the disease and live in fear of when it's going to kick in. This scenario also means that my parent defiantly has the disease (as it doesn't skip generations). So now I know that not only will I be a burden, but will know that my parent is going to end up like it as well. Plus they don't want to know the result so I would feel obliged to keep it a secret.
B: I take the test. Find out I don't have it (yey). However this could still mean that my mum has it and try to live life slightly happier.
C: Don't take test and remain in the same position I'm in now.
x Turn on thread page Beta
What do I do? watch
- Thread Starter
- 07-04-2011 22:45
- 07-04-2011 22:51
Well the decision is only really up to yourself... but personally I WOULD take it if it was me, just cause theres no way I could go on not knowing for all those years, it would drive me crazy!
- 07-04-2011 22:54
Just wanted to send you a hug, that's a rubbishy situation. Have you tried chatting to your GP or someone like that? Best of luck x
- 07-04-2011 22:55
Take the test, I couldn't bare not knowing. "What will be will be, but I wanna know about it."
- 07-04-2011 22:56
Are you HD ready?
- 07-04-2011 22:59
OP - no one can make the decision for you, but personally I think I would have to take the test otherwise it would always be an underlying thought in whatever I was doing, I mean, it's obviously bothering you right now. Good luck
- 08-04-2011 00:09
If I were you, I'd really want to know for myself if I was going to get HD in the future, because it would give me an idea of how long I had left to do everything I wanted to do with my life.
However, your mum doesn't want to have the test done...if you end up having the test and find out you've got HD then you'll also inadvertently find out whether or not your mum has it, seeing as it's caused by a dominant allele.
Having said that it is up to you. Do what you feel is best, because this is really about your future health and it's your choice. Again, I would personally have the test, but it's your decision.
This is such an awful situation for you to be in, I'm so sorry
- 08-04-2011 00:15
Not meaning to break the mould here but I wouldn't want to find out, it would depress me a lot to know and I'd rather carry on living my life and forget about it, then if I got it I got it and if I didn't I didn't... but maybe that's just me.
Good luck, whatever you decide to do