Turn on thread page Beta

Okay guys, here's the situation.

One of my grandparents currently suffers from HD and needs 24 hours a day care. Now, the disease has a 50% chance of passing onto a son or daughter of a carrier. This means that right now, I have a 25% of having the disease as my the parent in question doesn't know if they have it yet.

There is a test that can be taken to see if you have the disease, however my parent doesn't want to find out if they have the disease because it would be stressful to know that when you're older you are going to become a burden and have some the symptoms shown on the wiki page, which I find very understandable
    I'm living worried that I might have the disease and wondering whether I should take the test.

This gives me 3 scenarios.

A: I take the test. Find out that I have the disease and live in fear of when it's going to kick in. This scenario also means that my parent defiantly has the disease (as it doesn't skip generations). So now I know that not only will I be a burden, but will know that my parent is going to end up like it as well. Plus they don't want to know the result so I would feel obliged to keep it a secret.

B: I take the test. Find out I don't have it (yey). However this could still mean that my mum has it and try to live life slightly happier.

C: Don't take test and remain in the same position I'm in now.

ReputationRep:
    Well the decision is only really up to yourself... but personally I WOULD take it if it was me, just cause theres no way I could go on not knowing for all those years, it would drive me crazy!

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to send you a hug, that's a rubbishy situation. Have you tried chatting to your GP or someone like that? Best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    Take the test, I couldn't bare not knowing. "What will be will be, but I wanna know about it."

ReputationRep:
    Are you HD ready?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jesus Christ)
    Are you HD ready?
    I know you are trying to be a troll, but don't be so pathetic and unthoughtful.

OP - no one can make the decision for you, but personally I think I would have to take the test otherwise it would always be an underlying thought in whatever I was doing, I mean, it's obviously bothering you right now. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd really want to know for myself if I was going to get HD in the future, because it would give me an idea of how long I had left to do everything I wanted to do with my life.

However, your mum doesn't want to have the test done...if you end up having the test and find out you've got HD then you'll also inadvertently find out whether or not your mum has it, seeing as it's caused by a dominant allele.

Having said that it is up to you. Do what you feel is best, because this is really about your future health and it's your choice. Again, I would personally have the test, but it's your decision.

This is such an awful situation for you to be in, I'm so sorry

ReputationRep:
    Not meaning to break the mould here but I wouldn't want to find out, it would depress me a lot to know and I'd rather carry on living my life and forget about it, then if I got it I got it and if I didn't I didn't... but maybe that's just me.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.