Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone been rejected from Notts for adult nursing? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am still waiting for a response from them and am now worried that my application has not been successful! Has anyone already had a rejection from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariederby)
    I am still waiting for a response from them and am now worried that my application has not been successful! Has anyone already had a rejection from them?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from Nottingham and having spoken to a friend who works within the School of Nursing she has given me the impression that "no news is good news" at this point.

They are still to complete their interview process and many of those who were cut at the application stage have been informed of this decision quite awhile ago. Indeed, quite a few of my fellow students who applied for Adult Nursing at Nottingham the same time as I did have already been informed if they were unsucessful. I only know of one person at my college who has so-far been offered a place at Nottingham for Adult Nursing, but she applied well before the rest of us did.

They have been hugely over-subscribed for all nursing places and the vetting process has thus been fairly long-winded. Added to this is the fact that there were a fair few applicants who applied for places last year and were offered slots this year but who have since changed their mind/gone elsewhere so the actual number of slots available for this year (and the Jan 2012 intake) has been constantly shifting.

I'd say just hang in there. You can give the admissions team a call if you like but they'll no doubt give you the standard "you're still in the short-list and will be informed either way" they give to everyone who hasn't heard and phones up, or so it seems.

Have you applied for anywhere else and when did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    I also applied to Derby and attended for an interview there 2 weeks ago and was told that I would have to wait about 4 weeks for th outcome of that!

My pref however would be Notts as would like to take the degree route.

The wait continues!

Have you had news from anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    I also applied to Derby and attended for an interview there 2 weeks ago and was told that I would have to wait about 4 weeks for th outcome of that!

My pref however would be Notts as would like to take the degree route.

The wait continues!

Have you had news from anywhere else?
    Rejected by Derby but conditionals for both De Montfort and Coventry.

Derby was my last choice so I wasn't particularly bothered about being rejected by them.

ReputationRep:
    Right, well I have it from the horses mouth that if you haven't heard from Nottingham by today with regards Adult Nursing Diploma interviews then the only spaces Nottingham have left are at the Boston site.

They are sending out letters to certain applicants with regards interviews for these places but for the other approximately 500 who are still awaiting interviews, rejection letters are to follow.

ReputationRep:
    Yep I got one of the letters to say that I was still in the running but only for Boston site!

This is no good for me due to family/home comittments so that's me out of the Notts running

ReputationRep:
    Yep I got one of the letters to say that I was still in the running but only for Boston site!

This is no good for me due to family/home comittments so that's me out of the Notts running
    Have you applied for anywhere else?

ReputationRep:
    Only Derby - had interview there on 28/03 but was told could wait up until the end of April before we heard, so the wait continues!

Am a bit confused about what to do now as had hoped to do the degree level at Notts, but Derby only offer this up as a top up at the mo after completing the dip.

Am now thinking about whether to do an access course and reapply for Notts next year - as my a levels aren't quite up to the BCC that they will require for entry then.

ReputationRep:
    Keep your chin up, explore your options come clearing or if waiting til next year, do some more training and try to get a little more experience in the time you've got.

If its any comfort you may very well be an outstanding applicant, its just the sheer number of applications this year has overwhelmed the recruitment process.

Usually having such a high volume of applicants would ensure only the very best are offered places but so heavy has been the workload that offers are being made against what is in front of staff at the time rather than being considered against the whole, as would be the normal practice. This invariably means that potentially better candidates could miss out on places based purely on where they are in the pile being short-listed. Conversely this also means lesser candidates may well have been offered places through virtue of being the best among those in their part of the pile rather than the best overall.

As an aside it will be interesting to see what the year one drop-out/failure figures turn out like.

Once again, keep your chin up. Sheer volume and chance have had a very large part to play on the selection process this year and as such it is very difficult to plan against chance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Am going to hold out and wait and see how the Derby app goes and then explore my options.

All the best for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Am going to hold out and wait and see how the Derby app goes and then explore my options.

All the best for yourself.
    Thankfully I'm one of the lucky one, having had offers from elsewhere that I'm happy with. There are loads going through my college at the moment who have had no offers at all even though they ate equal if not better candidates than myself.

Makes you wonder what some universities are actually looking for?

Good luck with waiting on Derby.

ReputationRep:
    This all sounds like hogwash...they're still doing selection days at the nottingham campus and some more still to come. So be patient...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    This all sounds like hogwash...they're still doing selection days at the nottingham campus and some more still to come. So be patient...!
    The individuals being interviewed on these selection days have already been contacted. Unless every single applicant on these days is very below par then all the remaining places will be taken. The School of Nursing have factored this in when sending out these recent Boston offer letter.

Simple fact is the applicant to space ratio this year has been approximately 50 to 1. The admissions administrators for the School of Nursing have put in place an interview process that differs from previous year in order to expedite the quickest place fill given the number of applicants. This unfortunately means that not only are many excellent applicants not even being invited for interviews but also that due to offers being made 'on the fly' that many of those being offered places will be best of batch rather than the best overall. This worry is one of the main concerns expressed by School of Nursing teaching staff.

Whether you doubt this information or not is of no concern, the source by which I came about it is high enough within the School of Nursing for me to take it as gospel. All I've attempted to do is shine a light on a very clouded situation. My source would no doubt like to express many of the points I've made here herself but there is a lot of friction between the admin and teaching staff at the moment and although she is no doubt of enough seniority to escape a 'dressing down', she is enough of a realist to understand that she is going to have to work with these same people come September with what they believe will be a 'difficult' intake.

ReputationRep:
    It's not hogwash as I have a letter from Notts to say that they are not in a position to offer any more places at other campuses but I am still able to remain in the running for Boston should I so wish

ReputationRep:
    It's not hogwash as I have a letter from Notts to say that they are not in a position to offer any more places at other campuses but I am still able to remain in the running for Boston should I so wish
    Even though Boston is closing?!

ReputationRep:
    Even though Boston is closing?!
    Well that's what my letter says and I can assure you that it says that the only places they have left are for Boston!:eek:

Where did you get the info about this campus closing? I would consider this if there was a possibility of me then being transferred:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was at an interview on the 30th march and they also told us all in the starting brief that adult nursing was full and they were filling up for jan 2012 now judging by the fact they'd done this too at earlier interviews I wouldn't be surprised if jan intake was already full. On top of this I also got the letter confirming any applicants still waiting could only go to Boston despite already having been offered a place. (MH tho). To those who'd still been waiting remember you are better than any university and I'm sure with willpower you will still come out an amazing nurse. X

ReputationRep:
    Found out today unsuccessful at Derby

ReputationRep:
    I got the Boston letter too - was kinda relieved to be honest as i've been waiting since october to hear anything from them and Notts is the only place i want to go to as i live there! Really hope i get an interview for Boston now... would be amazing! Just a waiting game now really.... x

ReputationRep:
    Well that's what my letter says and I can assure you that it says that the only places they have left are for Boston!:eek:

Where did you get the info about this campus closing? I would consider this if there was a possibility of me then being transferred:confused:
    Been common knowledge for a while that boston/lincoln/mansfield centres are in jeopardy, i know lincoln is definately closing as it's been taken over by uni of lincoln..and its very likely boston is as it's so small, been talked about for aggesss! Im surprised they're taking admissions, maybe you're just one of the last? However everyone reckons nottingham & derby will be the only ones left.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.