18 year old girl in a relationship with a 24 year old guy? watch

• View Poll Results: Is it acceptable?
    YES
    87.06%
    NO
    12.94%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arielle)
    I'm 18 and had a relationship with a 25 year old and we ended up breaking up because of the age gap. Not only because I figured out that in his first year of university (my age now), I was actually starting Year 6 (how creepy!) but because he couldn't stop treating me like a child, he wanted things to be serious and settle down whereas I was like "lalalala I just want a bit of fun!" and in the end it just didn't work out for us. I wanted it to because everyone was saying it WASN'T acceptable (when we started going out, I was 17 and he was 24) and I wanted prove that age was just a number, but inevitably it wasn't. So if you're thinking about it, think carefully and be careful! Age is more significant than you think (well, it was for me anyway).
    That's got nothing to do with age, that's got to do with maturity and people wanting different things from a relationship. You will have 30 year olds who just want to be carefree and have fun, and 22 year olds who want to settle down.

Same with maturity, some 30 year olds will be far more immature than some 18 year olds.

Doesn't mean a 16 year old who loves a 50 year old shouldn't be allowed to be in a relationship.

Age makes no difference, obviously you just decided that was the reason your relationship didn't work out.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    Acceptable, yes.
    Going to last very long, probably not.*

*Then again, the same can be said for any relationship that involves an 18 year old.
    Yet you can't paint everybody with the same brush.

I was 17 when I started going out with a 24 year old.

Now look, I'm 27, he's 34, we've just celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary, and have three lovely kids, and are still happy after having been together for nearly 10 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Yet you can't paint everybody with the same brush.

I was 17 when I started going out with a 24 year old.

Now look, I'm 27, he's 34, we've just celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary, and have three lovely kids, and are still happy after having been together for nearly 10 years.
    I'm not. I said "probably".

Oh and we all know what your situation is, you outlined it enough times.

ReputationRep:
    Im 18 seeing a 29 y/o
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    I'm not. I said "probably".

Oh and we all know what your situation is, you outlined it enough times.
    new members join all the time. i need to proclaim to the world that age is no barrier (well legal age anyway )

ReputationRep:
    Why wouldn't it be? They're both adults, and it's not that much of a difference anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Obviously you are both fully grown adults. What is your problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dothat)
    Men of any age would love to screw an 18 year old.

Whether it's good for the 18 year old is another matter
    Why an 18 particularly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    That's got nothing to do with age, that's got to do with maturity and people wanting different things from a relationship. You will have 30 year olds who just want to be carefree and have fun, and 22 year olds who want to settle down.

Same with maturity, some 30 year olds will be far more immature than some 18 year olds.

Doesn't mean a 16 year old who loves a 50 year old shouldn't be allowed to be in a relationship.

Age makes no difference, obviously you just decided that was the reason your relationship didn't work out.
    I wasn't saying that it won't work and that everyone's maturity will be the same as mine and his was, I was just using it as an example of why you should be careful with large age gaps like that. I think it's acceptable and if it can work, go for it.

ReputationRep:
    My mate is 19 and she's with a 27 year old, and they seem happy.

But it's only been 3 months..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.