The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Congrats, he is such a beauty.

Sazzy mine returned after 6 weeks were fine for 6 months and been royally messed up since. Not had one at all since 7th October! apparantly its normal :/

and yes its bloody terrifying haha. It hit me when i was still numb/catheterised with a crying baby and on my own that i had no idea what i was doing and cried my eyes out!

Yeah I at least had the slight advantage that my catheter was out and pain reasonably well controlled before I had to take responsibility for him! Don't think I'd have coped at all for the first couple of nights otherwise!
Hi looking for your advice please? I haven't had a period for 8-9 weeks, I've done loads of tests, one came up with a faint line, unless I'm imagining it and have taken loads more of all kinds of brands and they come up negative, I've gained weight, get pains/cramps and other symptoms. I went to a sexual health clinic to get a blood test done as the doctors had a three week waiting list and I'm awaiting the results. Just so confused? I want to know if I am or not and the tests keep coming back negative for some reason?? Advice please, what do you think??
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Congrats, he is such a beauty.

Sazzy mine returned after 6 weeks were fine for 6 months and been royally messed up since. Not had one at all since 7th October! apparantly its normal :/

and yes its bloody terrifying haha. It hit me when i was still numb/catheterised with a crying baby and on my own that i had no idea what i was doing and cried my eyes out!

Nightmare!

And yes, numb and catheterised whilst having to try to look after a newborn on your own (because it was after visiting hours and daddy had to go home) with no idea what you are doing is friggin' scary!! (although with me I also felt unable to nourish my baby as he was a breast refuser and was screaming down the postnatal ward). I felt so bewildered, thankfully I was surprisingly less bewildered when we went home as we were able to settle in.

Seems perhaps this is a totally normal feeling :smile:
Original post by Hygeia
Yeah I at least had the slight advantage that my catheter was out and pain reasonably well controlled before I had to take responsibility for him! Don't think I'd have coped at all for the first couple of nights otherwise!

Awww so tiny and totally gorgeous :smile: hope you are settling in well :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Hi looking for your advice please? I haven't had a period for 8-9 weeks, I've done loads of tests, one came up with a faint line, unless I'm imagining it and have taken loads more of all kinds of brands and they come up negative, I've gained weight, get pains/cramps and other symptoms. I went to a sexual health clinic to get a blood test done as the doctors had a three week waiting list and I'm awaiting the results. Just so confused? I want to know if I am or not and the tests keep coming back negative for some reason?? Advice please, what do you think??

How long do you think it will be until you find out?
I'm not sure, I think it can take up to two weeks to get the results.
I'm not sure, I think it can take up to two weeks to get the results.

That seems like a long time. The blood test itself shouldn't take more than 24 hours to run and maybe a bit longer to be sent to the GP. Have you had the blood test yet? If not then it might be worth asking if your GP can give you a blood form so you can get it done at the local phlebotomy clinic.
Isaac 18 months.jpg

Isaac is 18 Months today!
Original post by randdom
Isaac 18 months.jpg

Isaac is 18 Months today!

Getting a big boy! :biggrin: It is madness how fast the time is going!

Max will be 6 months old on Monday! :eek:
So, after a very long time lurking on this thread I think I might be pregnant! I'm not due on for a couple more days but after experiencing an unusual level of fatigue I thought I'd do a home test and there is a very faint line! Will be retesting in the morning but I'm currently feeling delighted and slightly apprehensive! I've been broody for a long time and my husband and I have been TTC for a few months now. I'm a postgraduate student on a vocational course (kinda) so its going to be fun juggling work and study with pregnancy/baby but I'll cross that bridge nearer to the time!!
So, after a very long time lurking on this thread I think I might be pregnant! I'm not due on for a couple more days but after experiencing an unusual level of fatigue I thought I'd do a home test and there is a very faint line! Will be retesting in the morning but I'm currently feeling delighted and slightly apprehensive! I've been broody for a long time and my husband and I have been TTC for a few months now. I'm a postgraduate student on a vocational course (kinda) so its going to be fun juggling work and study with pregnancy/baby but I'll cross that bridge nearer to the time!!

Sounding positive :smile: Hope the test gives you a clearer line this morning!
There was a definite second line this morning!! :biggrin:

Congrats!

Great news :smile:

Original post by Hygeia
Congrats!

How are you getting on :smile:?
Original post by randdom
Great news :smile:

How are you getting on :smile:?

Tired and sore! After the complete lack of support from the hospital in trying to get him breastfeeding (everyone kept just saying he's small and early, just keep trying rather than offering practical advice...) we finally managed to get some decent help and have got him exclusively breastfeeding for the last few days! Now just have to see what his weights doing tomorrow to make sure he's getting enough...

Health visitor has already suggested I might need to see the GP before too long for possible postnatal depression as we're moving out of the 'baby blues' time frame now though. Guess it wouldn't be a complete surprise given the problems during the pregnancy but would be nice if I could avoid having to take any more medications! Just want to be able to properly enjoy my little one rather than spend all the time feeling useless.
Original post by Hygeia
Tired and sore! After the complete lack of support from the hospital in trying to get him breastfeeding (everyone kept just saying he's small and early, just keep trying rather than offering practical advice...) we finally managed to get some decent help and have got him exclusively breastfeeding for the last few days! Now just have to see what his weights doing tomorrow to make sure he's getting enough...

Health visitor has already suggested I might need to see the GP before too long for possible postnatal depression as we're moving out of the 'baby blues' time frame now though. Guess it wouldn't be a complete surprise given the problems during the pregnancy but would be nice if I could avoid having to take any more medications! Just want to be able to properly enjoy my little one rather than spend all the time feeling useless.

Well done on getting him exclusively feeding. Due to my PPH my milk was delayed in coming in and we had real problems. So even getting to exclusively feeding I think is a real achievement. Sorry that you are feeling low. To be honest I am surprised that they are talking about PND already (but obviously they have seen you and you know how you are feeling). It is still early days and from what I remember I was pretty miserable for the first couple of months and that was without all the trauma that you had. Definitely seek help if you need to but there will be options including but not exclusive too medication.
Sorry you had some trouble with breastfeeding to begin with. I think even without prematurity, breastfeeding really is quite difficult and is a learning curve for both mum and baby so well done on establishing breastfeeding :smile: I do know what you mean, I kept getting similar advice "he's new to the world he just needs to learn, have you tried expressing?" In the end I got a bit frustrated and said "why does everyone keep telling me to express, I want him to actually breastfeed!!" I do feel the support could be a bit better on the breastfeeding front.

I agree with randdom, I felt miserable for the first couple of months but certainly wasn't depressed. Being new to motherhood is overwhelming, and babies are particularly needy and difficult to cope with in the first couple of months what with waking so frequently, colic etc. However I am certainly not trying to lessen the effect of how you may be feeling as it could be depression, but it is common I think for women to experience these feelings for a couple of months.

I know they usually expect you to be out of the baby blues stage by the 6 weeks check but for me I think it only really started at 5 weeks when colic kicked in and didn't finish until probably 11/12 weeks. It was just miserable seeing him so upset and not feeling like I could help him in any way
Original post by randdom
Well done on getting him exclusively feeding. Due to my PPH my milk was delayed in coming in and we had real problems. So even getting to exclusively feeding I think is a real achievement. Sorry that you are feeling low. To be honest I am surprised that they are talking about PND already (but obviously they have seen you and you know how you are feeling). It is still early days and from what I remember I was pretty miserable for the first couple of months and that was without all the trauma that you had. Definitely seek help if you need to but there will be options including but not exclusive too medication.

Yeah I was a little surprised about her thinking it was PND at this stage but did talk to the GP about it today. He would have been happy to start antidepressants already but we decided to give it a few more weeks for things to 'settle' a bit first and see how everything goes before doing anything.

Original post by Sazzy890
Sorry you had some trouble with breastfeeding to begin with. I think even without prematurity, breastfeeding really is quite difficult and is a learning curve for both mum and baby so well done on establishing breastfeeding :smile: I do know what you mean, I kept getting similar advice "he's new to the world he just needs to learn, have you tried expressing?" In the end I got a bit frustrated and said "why does everyone keep telling me to express, I want him to actually breastfeed!!" I do feel the support could be a bit better on the breastfeeding front.

Yeah each time I asked for help they just gave him a cup feed... Not particularly helpful when that wasn't the help I was asking for and if someone had actually given me the help earlier, I might have been saved from 2 weeks of misery expressing! Now they keep telling me to express at the end of feeding to keep a small stock for when I need a break and expressing is the absolute last thing I feel like doing at the moment!

In other news... I'd really hoped once baby was here things would start to go right... Instead my c section scar has opened up at one end and is infected in another place now as well and we've spent about 12hrs of the last 2 days at Paediatric Assessment Unit for prolonged jaundice! (Fortunately it looks like just breast milk jaundice rather than anything else and should settle on its own but took so many needles to get to them being able to say that and was horrible seeing Tor crying from them!) Here's hoping life will start going smoother for us soon!!
Original post by Hygeia
Yeah each time I asked for help they just gave him a cup feed... Not particularly helpful when that wasn't the help I was asking for and if someone had actually given me the help earlier, I might have been saved from 2 weeks of misery expressing! Now they keep telling me to express at the end of feeding to keep a small stock for when I need a break and expressing is the absolute last thing I feel like doing at the moment!

I know that feeling, I expressed for 2 months and it was hell! Tbh if you've established breastfeeding and it;s going well I personally wouldn't throw expressing into the mix until you are settled. Plus there's a risk you could mess with your milk supply at this early stage I think.

In other news... I'd really hoped once baby was here things would start to go right... Instead my c section scar has opened up at one end and is infected in another place now as well and we've spent about 12hrs of the last 2 days at Paediatric Assessment Unit for prolonged jaundice! (Fortunately it looks like just breast milk jaundice rather than anything else and should settle on its own but took so many needles to get to them being able to say that and was horrible seeing Tor crying from them!) Here's hoping life will start going smoother for us soon!!

Oh no!! :frown: hope thongs start to improve for you very soon!
Original post by Hygeia
Yeah I was a little surprised about her thinking it was PND at this stage but did talk to the GP about it today. He would have been happy to start antidepressants already but we decided to give it a few more weeks for things to 'settle' a bit first and see how everything goes before doing anything.

You are having such a tough time of it. I hope things start to improve soon

Quick Reply

Latest