The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hygeia
How are you getting on? Manage to reduce the pred or still a no go? Really hope everything is improving for you!

Hello! Thanks for thinking of me. I have managed to get the pred down to 25mg but It's a really struggle for the first two days of changing it. I'm really keen to stop it though, the insomnia is really getting me down and that's without the acne and other symptoms.

It has down amazingly with stopping me vomiting though, I couldn't have done without it. I'm meant to go back to work next week and OH have suggested a phased return but have left it really wooly with a vague plan to call me the day before I'm due back at work. I'm going to phone them tomorrow to try and arrange a proper plan because at the moment I'm not sure how it's all going to work. I'm struggling to walk around a supermarket and I'm not sure how I'm going to manage in a car for 1.5 hrs a day, but at the same time I need to try.

Have you heard anything else about your LTFT application?
Original post by Anonymous
Hello! Thanks for thinking of me. I have managed to get the pred down to 25mg but It's a really struggle for the first two days of changing it. I'm really keen to stop it though, the insomnia is really getting me down and that's without the acne and other symptoms.

It has down amazingly with stopping me vomiting though, I couldn't have done without it. I'm meant to go back to work next week and OH have suggested a phased return but have left it really wooly with a vague plan to call me the day before I'm due back at work. I'm going to phone them tomorrow to try and arrange a proper plan because at the moment I'm not sure how it's all going to work. I'm struggling to walk around a supermarket and I'm not sure how I'm going to manage in a car for 1.5 hrs a day, but at the same time I need to try.

Have you heard anything else about your LTFT application?

Well done for getting it down a bit! I was taking phenergan at bedtime the whole time I was on pred and that helped deal with the insomnia (good old sedating antihistamines!)

Hope you manage to get something decent sorted for phased return - when I went back after my hyperemesis/laparotomy (3 months off) they didn't even suggest a phased return and the only way I survived was that I was supernumerary anyway and the lists I was on tended to finish quite early....

The one time I did a phased return (wrist tendinitis - 2 months off) we did it as 1 week of 1/2 days (mornings only), 1 week of full days (but no oncalls), then reintroduced oncalls gradually - evening first before weekend/nights. Even that was probably a bit fast though!! My brothers phased return involved a week of 2hrs per day, then increased to 3hrs/day the following week and so on... but with a 1.5hr drive each day you probably wouldn't want to go that far for such a short time!!

LTFT wise... I have an email from the BMA that I haven't been able to bring myself to read yet in case it says something I don't want to hear! I have the email address of my TPD to get in touch directly as well which I need to sit and actually do asap though as they're apparently meant to be quite reasonable... might try and arrange to do FT for the first bit with careful use of A/L days possibly if they're adamant I can't do LTFT straight away!
Well done for getting it down a bit! I was taking phenergan at bedtime the whole time I was on pred and that helped deal with the insomnia (good old sedating antihistamines!)

Hope you manage to get something decent sorted for phased return - when I went back after my hyperemesis/laparotomy (3 months off) they didn't even suggest a phased return and the only way I survived was that I was supernumerary anyway and the lists I was on tended to finish quite early....

The one time I did a phased return (wrist tendinitis - 2 months off) we did it as 1 week of 1/2 days (mornings only), 1 week of full days (but no oncalls), then reintroduced oncalls gradually - evening first before weekend/nights. Even that was probably a bit fast though!! My brothers phased return involved a week of 2hrs per day, then increased to 3hrs/day the following week and so on... but with a 1.5hr drive each day you probably wouldn't want to go that far for such a short time!!

LTFT wise... I have an email from the BMA that I haven't been able to bring myself to read yet in case it says something I don't want to hear! I have the email address of my TPD to get in touch directly as well which I need to sit and actually do asap though as they're apparently meant to be quite reasonable... might try and arrange to do FT for the first bit with careful use of A/L days possibly if they're adamant I can't do LTFT straight away!

Dammit Phenergan sounded like a good idea but I get oculogyric crises with everything but Ondansetron :frown:. Maybe I'll try some Piriton.

I'm going to chose up OH tomorrow to see what their recommendations are about how a phased return will work. Interesting to hear what your experiences have been. I'm meant to be on nights next week and even though I know that's not happening I do feel under pressure to get back to normal, and I definitely don't feel normal!

Completely understand waiting to read the email, I've had to do that in the past when things were all a bit too much. Hopefully it's nowhere near as bad as you think! I really don't understand their logic.
Dammit Phenergan sounded like a good idea but I get oculogyric crises with everything but Ondansetron :frown:. Maybe I'll try some Piriton.

I'm going to chose up OH tomorrow to see what their recommendations are about how a phased return will work. Interesting to hear what your experiences have been. I'm meant to be on nights next week and even though I know that's not happening I do feel under pressure to get back to normal, and I definitely don't feel normal!

Completely understand waiting to read the email, I've had to do that in the past when things were all a bit too much. Hopefully it's nowhere near as bad as you think! I really don't understand their logic.

How did the return to work go?

How are all the bumps and babies/toddlers/kiddies? Keep checking back for any twin news - hope all's well!

Can't believe Tor is going to be six months old next week - he's growing up far too quickly! Rolling both ways and trying to crawl... Starting solid foods as soon as he's a bit more stable sitting - not looking forward to the mess!!
Original post by Hygeia

How are all the bumps and babies/toddlers/kiddies? Keep checking back for any twin news - hope all's well!

Can't believe Tor is going to be six months old next week - he's growing up far too quickly! Rolling both ways and trying to crawl... Starting solid foods as soon as he's a bit more stable sitting - not looking forward to the mess!!

Isaac is crazy at the moment. He is two in a few weeks and is just bonkers. Running screeching, talking etc.

I am revising for my CSA at the moment and doing that with a toddler is tricky!
Original post by Hygeia

So far not too bad! I've been doing half days and I'm surprised how tired it's made me but I'm glad to be feeling a bit more productive. I do feel under pressure to go back to full time and I'll be trialling that the week after next but If i need to step back again I will do.

Had a fun experience with a senior member of staff asking me about my pregnancy (in detail) in a public corridor in front of my colleagues on my first day back when I'd specifically asked it to be kept private...

Any progress with the LTFT application?
So far not too bad! I've been doing half days and I'm surprised how tired it's made me but I'm glad to be feeling a bit more productive. I do feel under pressure to go back to full time and I'll be trialling that the week after next but If i need to step back again I will do.

Had a fun experience with a senior member of staff asking me about my pregnancy (in detail) in a public corridor in front of my colleagues on my first day back when I'd specifically asked it to be kept private...

Any progress with the LTFT application?

Glad the return went ok - hope the hyperemesis is behaving itself as well!

Some people really need to think before they open their mouths, especially in front of others!! None of my colleagues found out til I was about 6 months despite all the problems I had. (And they found out because I told them rather than anything else)

I'm going to be meeting my TPD shortly to discuss so watch this space...
Original post by Hygeia

I met the twins last weekend :ninja:

I'm getting on ok at the moment, just past 24/40 and feeling lots of movements, though Mr H still hasn't been around at the right time to feel any of the big kicks! Currently frantically trying to get paperwork in order for ARCP and hoping that they'll be a tiny bit sympathetic about my pathetic audit efforts - I felt so awful for Jan-March this year that there was no way I could have done anything on top of my day job. On the positive side, doing my last night shift this coming Friday, hurray!
Original post by Hygeia
Keep checking back for any twin news - hope all's well!

Well, thank you! They arrived at 36+6 after "immediate delivery" by induction for preeclampsia but in good condition & 5lb 8oz & 5lb 13oz, so are now a month old. :love: .

Unfortunately, it seems like I have a screamy refluxer again - although could be worse - could be two :facepalm: so armed with 2015 NICE guidance this time using up their big sisters left over gaviscon & hoping to see GP soon for something more hardcore.

Luckily we've been able to afford a part-time maternity nurse to help out or there would be much more screaming going on here due to my lack of more arms..!
So the last night shift turned into two, as their locum for Saturday pulled out resulting in lots of pleading e-mails and an enhanced rate. :colone: But now I really am done with nights, and very glad about it, as my sleep in the daytime has just been awful for the last couple of sets.
So Isaac has turned two!

I can't quite believe that it has been that long since he arrived. I am enjoying spending time with him at the moment as he is starting to talk more and generally interact well with the things that I take him too. Trying to make the most of the days I have off with him as I will be going full time in early July while my other half looks after him two days a week.

How is everyone else doing?
Original post by randdom
So Isaac has turned two!

I can't quite believe that it has been that long since he arrived. I am enjoying spending time with him at the moment as he is starting to talk more and generally interact well with the things that I take him too. Trying to make the most of the days I have off with him as I will be going full time in early July while my other half looks after him two days a week.

How is everyone else doing?

Happy birthday Isaac! How are you feeling about going back to full-time?

I'm getting on ok, 27+ 5 now and really starting to feel bigger (I had no noticeable bump for ages!) and tiring easily. Going on a mini-break to Madeira this weekend, then have another week off booked mid-July, though we'll need to use some of that time sorting out the house etc.

Second glucose tolerance test was also negative, so fingers crossed I've managed to avoid GDM despite risk factors. Seeing both midwife and consultant tomorrow, hoping for no nasty surprises!
30 weeks today with an ever expanding bump and a small child who has a fondness for tucking themselves under my ribs whilst simultaneously bouncing on my bladder as vigorously as possible...its great!! Going on maternity leave at just over 35 weeks so beginning to wrap up my clinical cases and I'm getting the last bits of my assignments boxed off so I can start my leave as stress free as possible. Cannot wait.
Babies grow too fast :cry2:
7 months old now and back to work in less than 6 weeks :frown: (occy health have said LTFT so will wait for the deanery to receive that letter now...) First tooth through and 2nd tooth causing misery and very little sleep (no trauma from bites to me yet at least though daddy did receive a nice chomp on his nipple after encouraging Tor to 'munch on mummy' during a feed... :colone:
Still managing to breastfeed and hoping to keep going once back at work... fingers crossed! He's gone up a centile in the last month just from my milk so really don't want to give up!!
IMG_6838 (1).jpg
20160612_123203-COLLAGE.jpg
This is Aria :smile: 3 weeks old today (although those photos are from a few days ago :smile: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sephrenia
This is Aria :smile: 3 weeks old today (although those photos are from a few days ago :smile: )

Congratulations! She is lovely. How are you feeling?
Aww how beautiful!

24+3 today and 19 month old Chelsea-grace is making sure im permanently knackered!
Original post by Sephrenia

Congratulations she is beautiful :smile:

Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Aww how beautiful!

24+3 today and 19 month old Chelsea-grace is making sure im permanently knackered!

I don't know how you do it. The idea of doing pregnancy again with Isaac at the moment is unimaginable.
Congratulations! She is lovely. How are you feeling?

Thank you 😊
I'm good. Exhausted, but good. Just getting over mastitis - got it in both boobs, I would almost prefer to go through the birth again!
****idy ****. Just as I've sorted out moving house and my PGCE next year - two little blue lines...

Timing is not my forte... *

Quick Reply

Latest