The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Your situation sounds very complicated - sorry to read what you have been going through. I hope you're getting lots of support IRL - were you honest with the GP and midwife about the circumstances of conception..? They should be able to offer you additional support regarding this and also being a younger and solo mother etc. Usually the psychology services have special targets to see women who are pregnant ASAP.

But just wanted to mention - abortion is not the only option - adoption could be an option too if you don't feel ready/able to cope with this baby but would not want an abortion? My perspectives on abortion and adoption have changed significant since having my own children - and meeting quite a lot of parents who have adopted at toddler groups etc.

It would be difficult to have a baby at medical school - I took at least a year away from work with all my children and in many ways work is easier than being a medical student as you can do it part-time. There were a few medical students (mostly graduate entry) in my year who took time off to have a baby and then rejoined - they usually needed to time it to restart at the point they had left of the academic year to fit with the exam schedules - so if you make the grades and are due November/December then deferring might be the most straightforward option but the medical school should be able to give you options.

I had my baby
I didn't get in university....missed the grades.
I don't know what to do with myself. I don't have the heart to give my daughter up for adoption. But I cannot make a good mother either.
Too depressed to ask for help i just don't have strenght to explain anything
Original post by Anonymous
I had my baby
I didn't get in university....missed the grades.
I don't know what to do with myself. I don't have the heart to give my daughter up for adoption. But I cannot make a good mother either.
Too depressed to ask for help i just don't have strenght to explain anything

I'm sorry to hear you're still struggling. You've been through a huge amount in the last few months and you're still very young. The first few days after a baby arrives are hugely overwhelming for any mother, never mind one with so much else going on. But this DOESN'T mean that you'll make a bad mum! If you want to keep her, talk to your midwife or health visitor, ask for help. There will be support out there, from children's centres, the HV team, your GP, other local mum groups. The midwife/HV will be able to get you on the right track, you just have to take the first step and reach out to them.
How is everyone doing? It's a bit dead in here isn't it.

My eldest just turned 15 yesterday which kinda means it has been a very very long time since I set up this society!
I now have a 11 week old and an almost 5 year old - can't believe how quickly they grow up!
I now have a 11 week old and an almost 5 year old - can't believe how quickly they grow up!

(oops, auto anon - clearly out of practice on TSR!)
Original post by Hygeia

(oops, auto anon - clearly out of practice on TSR!)

That must have been stressful being pregnant during lockdown. How are you doing?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
That must have been stressful being pregnant during lockdown. How are you doing?

Definitely wasn’t much fun!! Having a (2nd) section with no help on the ward afterwards or when baby went to special care (2nd growth restricted 36 weeker) was incredibly difficult and not being able to have family to visit etc.

How old’s your youngest now?
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
How is everyone doing? It's a bit dead in here isn't it.

My eldest just turned 15 yesterday which kinda means it has been a very very long time since I set up this society!

Plodding on! Big one just turned 4 and littlest is 16 months, they're back in nursery 3 days while I'm at work but all our usual groups pre-lockdown are no longer running so I'm struggling to find things to do that are fun for both of them (small one can't walk so parks etc aren't great) and don't cost £££. But they're a smashing pair really!
Original post by Hygeia
Definitely wasn’t much fun!! Having a (2nd) section with no help on the ward afterwards or when baby went to special care (2nd growth restricted 36 weeker) was incredibly difficult and not being able to have family to visit etc.

How old’s your youngest now?

Gosh I can't imagine how hard that must have been, and not even able to have family support... you're definitely a trooper!

My youngest is 7 now. The other two in-between are 11 and 13.

We went through a couple of meningitis scares the past few years. The 13 year old got pneumococcal meningitis with encephalitis in 2017 when he was 9. Ended up in a coma in intensive care, and we nearly lost him. Thankfully he's okay now but he does find studying a bit hard as his short-term memory isn't quite what it used to be, so it just means he has to put in extra effort. But that's a small price to pay to say that everything else turned out alright.

The 15 year old had viral meningitis in January this year so she went into hospital for a week. No long term after-effects, it was caught early though as I'm quite meticulous about checking for the symptoms now.

So those were scary times. I've deregistered all four of them from school now because of Covid-19. I've been through enough with them, I'm not risking them picking this virus up as well! We have a home education blog that I started four-ish weeks ago if you fancy a gander :smile:

homeeducatingwithfour.blogspot.com

Original post by Helenia
Plodding on! Big one just turned 4 and littlest is 16 months, they're back in nursery 3 days while I'm at work but all our usual groups pre-lockdown are no longer running so I'm struggling to find things to do that are fun for both of them (small one can't walk so parks etc aren't great) and don't cost £££. But they're a smashing pair really!

It must be difficult with little-'uns that age because you can't really explain to a 16 month old why they're stuck in the house all the time if they're used to being out and about.

We saved up Tesco Clubcard vouchers and took all the kids to West Midlands Safari Park last week for the 15 & 11 year olds' birthdays (one day after another). Didn't cost a penny and we had a great time. It was super because it was the ultimate social distancing outing - we didn't get out of our car to do the theme park bit, we just drove around and saw the animals.
If you shop at Tesco at all, it's definitely worth saving up Clubcard vouchers for days out. Most years we have a trip to somewhere or other like a theme park and so on (when we're not in a pandemic), and it doesn't cost anything.
I've just put in an application for the Open University. Am I mad? Back full circle again, it's almost poetic. I'll be graduating the same year as my daughter. I joined TSR when I had just started uni, 3 months before I found out I was pregnant with her!

Quick Reply

Latest