The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I've not posted since I was about 20 weeks pregnant. Just a quick post to introduce George Robert who is now 11 weeks old!
2008_10200089458855634_2071089494_n.jpg

Really sorry to hear that clareamos, is there anything you used to do as a family that you could do?
Just had a miscarriage at just shy of 7 weeks, most difficult thing I've ever been through physically and emotionally :frown: :frown:
Reply 962
Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain
Just had a miscarriage at just shy of 7 weeks, most difficult thing I've ever been through physically and emotionally :frown: :frown:

I'm so very sorry to hear your news (((hugs)))
Hi guys!

Thought i'd see how you all are- also have a question, eek! Well In the next 1-2 years I think me and the other half will consider starting a family, we're both certainly not ready now as we don't own our own homes yet and are at the start of our careers- but he's in his early thirties and I'm starting to feel a bit of broodiness and I think we're both in agreement a baby is in the not so distant future!

Anyway thinking about atleast getting my body 'Baby ready'. I'm really anxious about having a difficult pregnancy and want to be in the best shape to handle pregnancy without complications and be in the best shape to concieve also! I know I'll have to stop taking the pill a few months before we do offically TTC- as it can take a while to be out the system. Also deffo need to loose weight- terrified of having tons of health complications from being an obese mother...any tips/advice or knowledge about getting body ready to concieve?
Original post by Subcutaneous
Hi guys!

Thought i'd see how you all are- also have a question, eek! Well In the next 1-2 years I think me and the other half will consider starting a family, we're both certainly not ready now as we don't own our own homes yet and are at the start of our careers- but he's in his early thirties and I'm starting to feel a bit of broodiness and I think we're both in agreement a baby is in the not so distant future!

Anyway thinking about atleast getting my body 'Baby ready'. I'm really anxious about having a difficult pregnancy and want to be in the best shape to handle pregnancy without complications and be in the best shape to concieve also! I know I'll have to stop taking the pill a few months before we do offically TTC- as it can take a while to be out the system. Also deffo need to loose weight- terrified of having tons of health complications from being an obese mother...any tips/advice or knowledge about getting body ready to concieve?

Consider coming off hormonal contraception now and getting the non hormonal copper coil instead. That way you can let your body get back into its natural cycle and still be protected until you are ready, then its just a case of having it removed when you want to ttc.

As for losing weight, I suggest slimming world.
You could also try taking vitamins for women ttc

- I'd bank on more than a few months off the pill - post-pill amenorrhoea isn't even exciting till it's over 6 months but if you were wanting to know what your cycle was doing/TTC it would be incredibly frustrating.

- I did a VLCD (there have been threads on TSR before about them) to kick start the weight loss as wouldn't let us start TTC-ing until BMI in normal range! Trying to stay the same/eat healthily in pregnancy can be pretty tough as you just don't know what you'll be like - I did pretty much stay the same for the first trimester although I couldn't face meat or vegetables, the carbs I ate mostly came back up... now still craving carbs but no longer vomitting & in growth stages to starting to pack it on a bit!

- Folic acid at least 3 months before starting TTC.

- Also consider getting your rubella status rechecked +/- immunization - again at least 3 months before starting TTC.

If you or partner are smokers/big drinkers consider looking at that too.

Sorry to hear the sad news in this thread recently. :frown:

I am still holding my breath - but now crossed 24/40 which was a big mental barrier for me... as have seen 24 weekers survive at work! Practicalities of 3rd trimester/work/maternity leave kicking in though... :rolleyes:
Hey everybody just to let you know I had my baby girl last Tuesday she is perfect and healthy cannot beleive we have been blessed with such a miracle after such heartache!

Hope everybody is well xxx

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 967
Original post by dita_parlo
Hey everybody just to let you know I had my baby girl last Tuesday she is perfect and healthy cannot beleive we have been blessed with such a miracle after such heartache!

Many congratulations to you and your hubby :smile:.I'm over the moon for you !

So sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you feel having been through the same thing myself just over two years back. I can't say it gets easier as such, I still think about "what could have been" every day, but you do learn to live with it and look to the future. I found it helps to find someone to talk to. I had an amazing friend who would just listen to everything I had to cry about, and it really really helped. If you want to PM me, feel free. I'll just send you a PM now to let you know who I am, and if you want to you can reply, and if not then just completely ignore it- I know not everyone feels as though they want to chat. xx

Hi guys!

I've lost a shed load of weight to try to have a healthy pregnancy after a MC in 2010. Doctors said my weight had a lot to do with it, so I lost it and am now ready to try! I'm not taking any contraception atm and am just relying on condoms- not ideal, but worth it I think just to make sure my hormones can be as natural as possible! I do regular exercise and try to eat a healthy diet :smile:. Come and join us in the fitness forum "healthy new you" thread to lose weight, it's a good resource and seems to help the people who post on it.

Original post by dita_parlo

Congratulations I'm so pleased for you. It's fantastic news :smile:.
Original post by Anonymous
So sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you feel having been through the same thing myself just over two years back. I can't say it gets easier as such, I still think about "what could have been" every day, but you do learn to live with it and look to the future. I found it helps to find someone to talk to. I had an amazing friend who would just listen to everything I had to cry about, and it really really helped. If you want to PM me, feel free. I'll just send you a PM now to let you know who I am, and if you want to you can reply, and if not then just completely ignore it- I know not everyone feels as though they want to chat. xx

Thank you :smile: I've been lucky because my partner has been incredible but this has absolutely crushed him as much as it's crushed me. My main worry is that it's going to be a recurring problem, because my mum and nan both had major issues carrying pregnancies and the part of my head tells me it's never going to happen. Plus we are still trying to decide what to do next with protection or not, but it's hard to describe why we don't want to use protection now even if we weren't trying at the time.
Hello all, congrats to dita parlo amazing news. Good luck to all ttc!
Kids good Ella had her op to remove adenoids and insert third set of grommets al went well and she stayed in the Norfolk and Norwich hosp for the night . Owen doing well started clapping today and is still crawling and cruising.he loves nursery. My job ok if the company were not so bad and gave us me time I could give better care but there we go. Love it really.
Owen nearly a yr old and still not got any contraception after a serious pregnancy scare last month due to a condom malfunction and late by seven days it scared me can't have anything hormonal ony option is copper Coil anyone had this? How was it? Love to all x

Thank you :smile: I've been lucky because my partner has been incredible but this has absolutely crushed him as much as it's crushed me. My main worry is that it's going to be a recurring problem, because my mum and nan both had major issues carrying pregnancies and the part of my head tells me it's never going to happen. Plus we are still trying to decide what to do next with protection or not, but it's hard to describe why we don't want to use protection now even if we weren't trying at the time.

I went through a crazy few months after where I thought I just wanted to get pregnant straight away. My partner and I are trying again now, and I know for a fact that we wouldn't be thinking about it this early if it hadn't been for the MC. It can change your perceptions of what you want from life, and what's important. But it's probably best not to try just yet; your mind and body need time to heal, and having another baby won't make up for the one you lost. Having a baby is a very demanding time, both mentally and physically, so wait until you're sure you're ready :smile:.

You say your Mum and Nan struggled.. well your Mum's here, you're here, so it happened for them. I'm confident that it will happen for you, too. Other than anything else, there plenty of treatments you can try, and then other options even if they don't work- so there are many many things that can be done if it doesn't happen naturally.

Think back to a few months ago.. what were your aims in life? Where did you see your life heading? I find that it helps to work things towards having a baby in the way of getting a good job to provide a stable home, and losing some weight to make my body more able to deal with the pregnancy next time. Obviously your life doesn't end when you have a child, in fact there's very little I'd rather do right now, but looking at the bigger picture will (eventually) help you to see that now probably isn't the right time.

You need to make sure you're not rushing things, you're still very young. As the anon above me says, what were your aims in life before? You have so, so much time to have a baby, you don't need to do it now. At the end of the day it's your choice, but heed what others are saying.
Happy Mother's Day to all of you with kiddies :smile:. Here's hoping I can celebrate alongside you this time next year!! :smile:
Happy Mother's day all:smile: xxx
Yet again more news of another friend getting pregnant who is upset about it, and doesn't want a baby. She's keeping it, and I'm sure she will be fine and wouldn't have it any other way when it's born, but still I just think "why not me". Probably selfish, but I can't help it.
Reply 976
It's Anonymous # 8 - remembering to actually un-Anon now. :redface:

So, I am finally on Maternity Leave... :hoppy: (Which bears some resemblance to how oedematous I am!)
But massive to-do-list & uncertain deadline that sometime in the next 6 weeks 'It' must arrive. :eek:
Reply 977
I'm not trying for a baby yet (maybe in 3 years) but im worried about my chances for when i am ready. I'v been on the pill (back to back) for 5 years now, plus my mum has polycystic ovaries (and iv had a ruptured cyst twice this year so i think maybe i might have them too ;c ). how can i limit my chances of having problems? and should i bring my baby plans forward rather than waiting? x
Reply 978
Original post by Lemonzaz
I'm not trying for a baby yet (maybe in 3 years) but im worried about my chances for when i am ready. I'v been on the pill (back to back) for 5 years now, plus my mum has polycystic ovaries (and iv had a ruptured cyst twice this year so i think maybe i might have them too ;c ). how can i limit my chances of having problems? and should i bring my baby plans forward rather than waiting? x

Pretty much the usual lifestyle things - making sure you're a normal BMI (especially if ?PCOS - although PCOS and acute ruptured cysts aren't the same thing - if you've needed surgery for cysts then the type of surgery/ovaries left behind and any complications like adhesions may be more relevant) & healthy lifestyle (cutting down or stopping smoking/alcohol and taking a supplement).

With the pill - although the theory is fertility can come back & you can conceive straight away... you might prefer to have some 'natural' periods first (which anecdotally can actually take a while to come back!) so you can 'date' any pregnancy from the last period, know when to be taking a test or know when to be having unprotected sex if you need/like to plan a little more than just being spontaneous!

About timing - it's an impossible one to say really... depends on so many variables!

General hypochondria about conceiving/pregnancy & wanting the option of a big family was a reason why we planned a specific age... that does seem to be earlier than our peers (although not particularly early across the whole population) & like it had suddenly arrived :eek: - but was to give some leeway if there were problems e.g. general decline in fertility with age, not being 'subfertile' till you've tried for a year & narrow windows of NHS fertility investigations/treatment.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Lemonzaz

I'd suggest just doing everything you can to make sure you're as healthy as you can be. Eat a healthy diet, do plenty of exercise..

Don't just have a baby asap, because you're not ready, and you don't even know if you have a problem! It might help to see your GP if you're really concerned, as they would be able to put your mind at rest or give you information.. but a lot of people worry about this, and then manage to conceive perfectly natural.

Quick Reply

Latest