Turn on thread page Beta

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II watch

(Original post by Anonymous)
    That would annoy me too. We told no-one we were TTC - so didn't have to face that sort of thing! The first people* knew of it was when we told nearest & dearest after 12 week scan.

You could still backtrack & tell them that unfortunately you've had to put things off for a while longer but they'll be the first to know.
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    That sounds rough - another reason we also haven't told people that we're trying yet. I think one thing you could do is just wait until somebody makes a comment like this and just quietly point out to them that you're not pregnant, won't be for a while, and the jokes are getting a bit old.
    Yeah I wish I hadn't mentioned anything at all now. It started with a conversation with a friend and she was saying she was trying.. so I just happened to mention "oh yeah we're talking about it too" and just that comment kind of stuck!

I think I will have to say something if comments get made again though. At the very least I'll try and make it clear that when they find out it will be because I've told them rather than making hints on Facebook (which I don't, it's just the way they interpret completely random things I write). So yeah..

My Dad has also been making comments recently such as "so when am I getting grandkids then" haha. He's innocent, he doesn't have a clue what's going on, so I'll let him off! Although he's probably likely to get them from my brother first, despite him being 5 years younger than me. It's nice to know that I will have family support if it does eventually happen.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I wish I hadn't mentioned anything at all now. It started with a conversation with a friend and she was saying she was trying.. so I just happened to mention "oh yeah we're talking about it too" and just that comment kind of stuck!

I think I will have to say something if comments get made again though. At the very least I'll try and make it clear that when they find out it will be because I've told them rather than making hints on Facebook (which I don't, it's just the way they interpret completely random things I write). So yeah..

My Dad has also been making comments recently such as "so when am I getting grandkids then" haha. He's innocent, he doesn't have a clue what's going on, so I'll let him off! Although he's probably likely to get them from my brother first, despite him being 5 years younger than me. It's nice to know that I will have family support if it does eventually happen.
    How old are you, can I ask? It's definitely good that you have everyone's support - one of the reasons why I am a little nervous is that I'm 23 and it's just not something my family or friends expect, really. I'm in a stable relationship and financially we're fine, but obviously I'm going to take a lot of time off work - I actually intend to 'stay at home', with a little freelance mixed in, for quite a few years while the kid(s) young - and none of my friends, say, would even think about having kids this young, to be honest.

So yeah, nerve-wracking stuff!

How old are you, can I ask? It's definitely good that you have everyone's support - one of the reasons why I am a little nervous is that I'm 23 and it's just not something my family or friends expect, really. I'm in a stable relationship and financially we're fine, but obviously I'm going to take a lot of time off work - I actually intend to 'stay at home', with a little freelance mixed in, for quite a few years while the kid(s) young - and none of my friends, say, would even think about having kids this young, to be honest.

So yeah, nerve-wracking stuff!
    I'm 22 so it would probably be a bit of a surprise to my family.. Even though Dad asks I'm not sure if he actually expects it yet. Been with my partner for over 4 years as well so I think that's making people think we need to get more serious!

I'm a freelancer already, so I can plan to be around and get bits and bobs of cash, so that's positive. I have enough for a flat but waiting for one to come on the market.. I wasn't expecting that to take so long!

I had a MC in 2010 and I know for a fact that if that hasn't happened I wouldn't be thinking about kids, but it changed my priorities I suppose! It will always be scary but I think it would be no matter what age.. So I'm just working towards it as fast as I can! Just not as fast as my friends expect, haha.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 22 so it would probably be a bit of a surprise to my family.. Even though Dad asks I'm not sure if he actually expects it yet. Been with my partner for over 4 years as well so I think that's making people think we need to get more serious!

I'm a freelancer already, so I can plan to be around and get bits and bobs of cash, so that's positive. I have enough for a flat but waiting for one to come on the market.. I wasn't expecting that to take so long!

I had a MC in 2010 and I know for a fact that if that hasn't happened I wouldn't be thinking about kids, but it changed my priorities I suppose! It will always be scary but I think it would be no matter what age.. So I'm just working towards it as fast as I can! Just not as fast as my friends expect, haha.
    Ah, we sound like we're in really similar positions! Been with my partner for almost 3 years, just bought a house together and moving in next Friday.

I definitely think that having children is a very personal decision, and it's super that your friends are all so supportive of it.

Ah, we sound like we're in really similar positions! Been with my partner for almost 3 years, just bought a house together and moving in next Friday.

I definitely think that having children is a very personal decision, and it's super that your friends are all so supportive of it.
    Supportive to the point of being pushy haha. I hope they'll be so supportive when it comes to potential babysitting opportunities :P.

Congrats on your house! That's amazing. I'm very jealous.. I had no idea it took so long. I thought once you had the money it just kind of "happened"! Apparently not though!

ReputationRep:
    Supportive to the point of being pushy haha. I hope they'll be so supportive when it comes to potential babysitting opportunities :P.

Congrats on your house! That's amazing. I'm very jealous.. I had no idea it took so long. I thought once you had the money it just kind of "happened"! Apparently not though!
    Yeah, it can take a while, especially if you've got an idea in mind of what kind of place you like. We made an offer on one place which we didn't get, but then the place we ended up with instead is actually kind of better in many ways! It's near a park, which will be great for kids, and it's actually a house rather than a flat despite having the same number of bedrooms. Smaller garden though! Still, I'm very happy with it.

ReputationRep:
    How are our summer holidays going?! I've been looking after my nieces, nephews and my younger cousins. I have to admit I love it. I feel sad when their parents come to take them home
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by meenu89)
    How are our summer holidays going?! I've been looking after my nieces, nephews and my younger cousins. I have to admit I love it. I feel sad when their parents come to take them home
    Summer is going well here Niamh is in summer camp 2 days a week and our other days are full of swimming, sensory play activities and trips out. We're going to see Turbo at the cinema tomorrow. Maybe we should write a list of summer activity ideas?

Still no blood test results through yet

Hubby and I are tentatively thinking about having another child, but through adoption rather than having our own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    Summer is going well here Niamh is in summer camp 2 days a week and our other days are full of swimming, sensory play activities and trips out. We're going to see Turbo at the cinema tomorrow. Maybe we should write a list of summer activity ideas?
    I just mainly take them to the local library, which has plenty of events for children taking place over the holidays, or to the local park, and also the local art gallery has an art club on Friday which they love.
    Still no blood test results through yet

Hubby and I are tentatively thinking about having another child, but through adoption rather than having our own.
    One of my Mums friends is going through the process and she says it is a nightmare. They don't want any-more of their own children (personal reason which she hasn't said).

ReputationRep:
    My two are teens, so it's a bit different to having small kids. So far we have been to Wales and Blackpool both for a day trip. I dont know what else we are going to do.Hubby is mid way through 2 weeks off work, which makes getting out and about further afield so much easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    My two are teens, so it's a bit different to having small kids. So far we have been to Wales and Blackpool both for a day trip. I dont know what else we are going to do.Hubby is mid way through 2 weeks off work, which makes getting out and about further afield so much easier.
    Are you a stay at home Mum? If it's too personal you don't have to answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Are you a stay at home Mum? If it's too personal you don't have to answer.
    It's not a personal question, but yes I am. It was never planned that way, just happened really. I did have a job but left to go to uni which didnt work out. I am looking for a job, but I guess that will turn up eventually.

Hi all glad to see everyone's good nice to hear from you black hawk ad I hope you get the results you want.
    I an getting married in two weeks well excited! But my mother stresses me out trying to enjoy but she rings me everyday with a list aargh. Ella and Owen are great Ella starts school in sept. Owen is into everything now he's walking haha I can't wait for my time off work to be with them! Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1375449885.143227.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  146.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1375449915.247284.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  197.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm having such a weak spell right now Normally I can think quite rationally about things, but right now my mind is in a total haze of "I want to try again, I want to get pregnant again". Even though I know it's not fair on anyone least of all my OH and any potential kids, and I know it'd just be an attempt to replace the baby I lost... I don't know, I can't shake it off It doesn't help that around next weekend is what should've been the due date and I'm working all weekend. Fun jobs, but we were supposed to be going away for the weekend and now we can't.

Just feeling really low and wanted to talk to people who may understand, you were all so supportive before x

Me again... a little post to say I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad or even what I'm meant to be feeling right now. If this turns out the way it seems, I'll be using this thread more, and I'll probably turn anon off, but while I'm unsure I'll stay like this. I took a pregnancy test this evening (a week and a bit late for my period) and it's come back a very strong positive. I keep thinking it's a false positive or something, but it was a very quick and very strong positive, and I did everything right... looks like I'm pregnant.

I'm a little bit scared (the thought of having a baby at 19 terrifies me) so if anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.

ReputationRep:
    Me again... a little post to say I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad or even what I'm meant to be feeling right now. If this turns out the way it seems, I'll be using this thread more, and I'll probably turn anon off, but while I'm unsure I'll stay like this. I took a pregnancy test this evening (a week and a bit late for my period) and it's come back a very strong positive. I keep thinking it's a false positive or something, but it was a very quick and very strong positive, and I did everything right... looks like I'm pregnant.

I'm a little bit scared (the thought of having a baby at 19 terrifies me) so if anyone has any advice, I'd really appreciate it.
    Just thought i'd reply as no-one else has yet.

False positives are quite rare, so the most probable thing is that you are pregnant. It's ok to not know how to feel. First thing would be to contact your GP surgery to try and get an appointment either with them or the midwife. The midwife will need to do your booking and take you through things before arranging your scan. It will help if you know the first date of your last period but don't worry if you don't.

Good luck with your pregnancy. Does your partner know?

ReputationRep:

I remember being scared to death when I found out I was pregnant at 23.What you are feeling is normal.Make an appointment at your doctors to see the midwife for your first ante natal appointment.

(Original post by Sarky)
    Just thought i'd reply as no-one else has yet.

False positives are quite rare, so the most probable thing is that you are pregnant. It's ok to not know how to feel. First thing would be to contact your GP surgery to try and get an appointment either with them or the midwife. The midwife will need to do your booking and take you through things before arranging your scan. It will help if you know the first date of your last period but don't worry if you don't.

Good luck with your pregnancy. Does your partner know?
    Thanks for replying. I did another test this morning, another positive, so either two faulty tests or I'm pregnant. OH knows, over the moon about it but we're both nervous about what's to come.

I'm going to book in with the midwife at the doctors surgery some time in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying. I did another test this morning, another positive, so either two faulty tests or I'm pregnant. OH knows, over the moon about it but we're both nervous about what's to come.

I'm going to book in with the midwife at the doctors surgery some time in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice.
    Good luck with everything, its understandable that you're nervous but keep talking to each other x

Got a doctors appointment this morning about it. Anyone got any experience/advice of what they'll do at the first GP appt (not midwife)?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 3, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.