The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kater Murr
Wow, congratulations! Did you wait until she was born to decide on the name, or did you already know it?

I'm 20 weeks as of today, and I've got my next scan coming up on Thursday. Very excited about this one - I want to know what the sex is!

How is everyone else? Randdom - you must be pretty far along now, aren't you?

34 weeks now :smile:

Tired and very much looking forward to the start of maternity leave on Thursday! A&E shifts are destroying me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Wow - working in A&E at 34 weeks. Don't know how you do it.

I kind of planned everything so I'd be working from home (and only part-time too!) for pregnancy as well as after it, and I'm really glad I did. From throwing up in the first trimester (how do people do that at work?) to just feeling generally kind of tired and ill even now, I'd hate having to go in to work every day at the moment.

We have our 20 week scan on Thursday! So excited.
Damnit.
Original post by Anonymous
Wow - working in A&E at 34 weeks. Don't know how you do it.

I kind of planned everything so I'd be working from home (and only part-time too!) for pregnancy as well as after it, and I'm really glad I did. From throwing up in the first trimester (how do people do that at work?) to just feeling generally kind of tired and ill even now, I'd hate having to go in to work every day at the moment.

We have our 20 week scan on Thursday! So excited.

Vomitting into sick bags (found online - fairly waterproof with these gel beads to thicken the vomit and a resealable strip along the top) on my Tube/walk commute to work has to go down as one of my all-time life lows... :facepalm: it may have had some protective effects stopping me from getting the norovirus that was doing the rounds though!
& in all seriousness - I had about 7 days off sick in the 1st-2nd trimester because the lack of oral intake/vomitting was a bit much & work combined pretty much every obvious trigger (hungry? tired? stressed?).

Not sure how life would be when (hopefully!) we do it again with a toddler in the mix too - but the plan is to be working part-time and slightly more civilized hours by then...

Good luck for your the 20 week scan! Do you have much of a kicker yet?
Vomitting into sick bags (found online - fairly waterproof with these gel beads to thicken the vomit and a resealable strip along the top) on my Tube/walk commute to work has to go down as one of my all-time life lows... :facepalm: it may have had some protective effects stopping me from getting the norovirus that was doing the rounds though!
& in all seriousness - I had about 7 days off sick in the 1st-2nd trimester because the lack of oral intake/vomitting was a bit much & work combined pretty much every obvious trigger (hungry? tired? stressed?).

Not sure how life would be when (hopefully!) we do it again with a toddler in the mix too - but the plan is to be working part-time and slightly more civilized hours by then...

Good luck for your the 20 week scan! Do you have much of a kicker yet?

Eek!

Yes I do! The baby has been nicknamed 'Herbie' because the midwife said, in the first scan, 'it's going bananas in there!' and true to its name Herbie has been quite the kicker - my partner has already been able to feel some kicks which seems to be, in a first pregnancy, quite uncommon at this stage. I'm probably already feeling at least 30-50 kicks a day on average - which sounds like it's pretty active for 20 weeks?

Just hoping this doesn't mean Herbie is going to be a little hellraiser a year down the line...
Eek!

Yes I do! The baby has been nicknamed 'Herbie' because the midwife said, in the first scan, 'it's going bananas in there!' and true to its name Herbie has been quite the kicker - my partner has already been able to feel some kicks which seems to be, in a first pregnancy, quite uncommon at this stage. I'm probably already feeling at least 30-50 kicks a day on average - which sounds like it's pretty active for 20 weeks?

Just hoping this doesn't mean Herbie is going to be a little hellraiser a year down the line...

Sounds like my bump. My husband started to be able to feel kicks at about 18 week. If you go anything like me you will have a very active baby who moves your bump into any shape imaginable :smile:

Good luck for 20 weeks, I can't remember if I have asked you but are you finding out?
Original post by randdom
Sounds like my bump. My husband started to be able to feel kicks at about 18 week. If you go anything like me you will have a very active baby who moves your bump into any shape imaginable :smile:

Good luck for 20 weeks, I can't remember if I have asked you but are you finding out?

We are and we did! It's a boy. Not fb official yet because my partner doesn't want to tell people apart from family (and after all, TSR is a great big family really...)

It's nice to have a pronoun I think. Partner is really nervous about raising a boy, I think because he was bullied for not being into sports and fighting as a kid, but I'm sure it's a little different these days - it seems more cool to be into spiderman and videogames.
We are and we did! It's a boy. Not fb official yet because my partner doesn't want to tell people apart from family (and after all, TSR is a great big family really...)

It's nice to have a pronoun I think. Partner is really nervous about raising a boy, I think because he was bullied for not being into sports and fighting as a kid, but I'm sure it's a little different these days - it seems more cool to be into spiderman and videogames.

Boys are great fun, and not all alike by any means. My two eldest boys are 6 and 4 and are very different little people.

My 6 year old likes pretending to be a superhero, and likes running about and playing out on his bike or scooter, playing football, playing minecraft, and being a bit rough and tumble.

My 4 year old is a gentler soul. He likes playing with lego, blowing bubbles, sitting down to have a story read to him, playing with his toy cooker and play food, and is always always coming for hugs. And he brings me "flowers" (daisies) a lot and tells me I'm beautiful :redface:
And now, the names debate...

My partner's first name, middle name, and surname all have 7 letters in them, and so do his Dad's. Apparently this means he's wanted to give his kids 7 letter names since he was a kid.

Ohmigodwhatamigoingtodo.

So frustrating.
And now, the names debate...

My partner's first name, middle name, and surname all have 7 letters in them, and so do his Dad's. Apparently this means he's wanted to give his kids 7 letter names since he was a kid.

Ohmigodwhatamigoingtodo.

So frustrating.

I found name discussions one of the most stressful but also enjoyable bits. It took my husband and I ages and ages to agree on a boys name that we might never use!
Original post by randdom
I found name discussions one of the most stressful but also enjoyable bits. It took my husband and I ages and ages to agree on a boys name that we might never use!

I used to enjoy it when it was more speculative, but now I find it incredibly stressful. We don't seem to be able to agree, and when he *does* like a name that I like it always seems to be half-hearted; and then he suggests names and I ask him if he's kidding and he says 'I'm not sure actually'. It's difficult to get anywhere when that happens!
I used to enjoy it when it was more speculative, but now I find it incredibly stressful. We don't seem to be able to agree, and when he *does* like a name that I like it always seems to be half-hearted; and then he suggests names and I ask him if he's kidding and he says 'I'm not sure actually'. It's difficult to get anywhere when that happens!

Ah! Does anyone know how to get the anon box not to tick automatically?
I love name discussions! :biggrin:

We still have our male options & contemplating female middle names for potential #2. No particular conflicts but I think 2 middle names helps get balance of names we like/significance etc? :tongue:
x

Are you willing to go along with the 7 letter thing? If so then a good starting point might be looking through the top 250 names separately and each making a list and then come together to discuss them?
So, me and OH have decided we're going to start trying in about 6 months- although will be unoffically 'trying' from now on (just not actively going out of our way, if that makes sense...!) as he's going to be doing a fair bit of travel until November with up to 4 weeks at a time spent abroad etc.

However I let it slip in a friendly conversation to my manager a few weeks ago about this as she's just had a baby and was asking if I was feeling broody etc. I'm up for a deputy sister interview in a few days, with her interviewing me...and needless to say a bit nervous, but more nervous that this conversation will go against me and she might now want to employ me if I'll just go on mat leave in a years time. I've seen other colleagues who've announced a pregnancy, gone for a promotion and not got it for whatever reason..but feels a little too common for it to be a coincidence! Anyone have any experience with this? I get on very well with my manager and we've been friends for a number of years.

Secondly I had the implant removed last week and have spent the past 3 days feeling totally up and down with my mood, is this normal?!

Edit: Just another question, how soon to actually tell people? A few friends know as they've noticed pre-natal vitamins at the house and just generally telling people however my cousin told the family at only 5 weeks gone! I obviously work in a very physically exhausting job as a nurse and wondering if it's safe to tell work as soon as I know, or is it ok in this sector to wait till the 12 weeks scan?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Subcutaneous

Anyone have any experience with this? I get on very well with my manager and we've been friends for a number of years.

I kept schtum about TTC (to everyone) until had a pregnancy to announce, although if it had come up in conversation would've said we've always wanted a family.
When it comes to TTC#2 which'll be starting in the next few months will definitely be keeping quiet again...
& if there's a #3 & #4 (which we would hypothetically like) definitely won't be telling potential employers in advance & if they think our family is done now with 1 or 2 (so I'm a safer bet than a childless woman!) won't be removing that notion from them.... :colone:

People can't 'unknow' something if they know, even if they try not to consider it etc.

Edit: Just another question, how soon to actually tell people? A few friends know as they've noticed pre-natal vitamins at the house and just generally telling people however my cousin told the family at only 5 weeks gone! I obviously work in a very physically exhausting job as a nurse and wondering if it's safe to tell work as soon as I know, or is it ok in this sector to wait till the 12 weeks scan?

If you want a work risk assessment for your pregnancy then obviously you have to let them know. You have to let them know by about 25/40 if 'practicable' for maternity leave purposes.

I was pretty unwell (vomitting on ward rounds at start and end of the day and took about 7 days off sick in total) from about 6 weeks so did 'tell work', but that was my Boss & immediate colleagues only - as I wanted to explain why I probably wasn't pulling my weight.

If I'd been fine then I would've waited. We didn't tell any family or friends till 12 week scan - but working in Obstetrics makes you very sceptical that a conception will actually result in a healthy baby!
If there's a #2 I'd like to not tell anyone till about 16/40 (when we know sex) but if I'm unwell I suspect I'll need to tell work again earlier.
I kept schtum about TTC (to everyone) until had a pregnancy to announce, although if it had come up in conversation would've said we've always wanted a family.
When it comes to TTC#2 which'll be starting in the next few months will definitely be keeping quiet again...
& if there's a #3 & #4 (which we would hypothetically like) definitely won't be telling potential employers in advance & if they think our family is done now with 1 or 2 (so I'm a safer bet than a childless woman!) won't be removing that notion from them.... :colone:

People can't 'unknow' something if they know, even if they try not to consider it etc.

If you want a work risk assessment for your pregnancy then obviously you have to let them know. You have to let them know by about 25/40 if 'practicable' for maternity leave purposes.

I was pretty unwell (vomitting on ward rounds at start and end of the day and took about 7 days off sick in total) from about 6 weeks so did 'tell work', but that was my Boss & immediate colleagues only - as I wanted to explain why I probably wasn't pulling my weight.

If I'd been fine then I would've waited. We didn't tell any family or friends till 12 week scan - but working in Obstetrics makes you very sceptical that a conception will actually result in a healthy baby!
If there's a #2 I'd like to not tell anyone till about 16/40 (when we know sex) but if I'm unwell I suspect I'll need to tell work again earlier.

Yeah, just read our trusts policy...apparently a risk assessment is needed, not 100% what that involves!

I don't think I'll tell family and friends till 12 weeks...might wait till the child is 18years old to tell my mum. She got completely overexcited about my cousin announcing her 5 week pregnancy I don't want the fuss for me...! She's an ex-midwife and antenatal teacher and can just imagine the amount of 'knowledge bombs' she'd want to drop on me and telling me what to do, although grateful she's 200 miles away- but may appreciate her being closer when it comes to childcare!

I thought i'd be totally relaxed and cool about TTC but keep jumping on every little symptom and i've only been off the implant for over a week!
Original post by randdom
Are you willing to go along with the 7 letter thing? If so then a good starting point might be looking through the top 250 names separately and each making a list and then come together to discuss them?

Not really, tbh; the problem is that it automatically crosses out all the names I like so far, and we want two middles names - that's 3 7-letter names. I'm just finding it hard to be OK with dropping all the names I really love for such a stupid, stupid rule. Sigh.
Yeah, just read our trusts policy...apparently a risk assessment is needed, not 100% what that involves!

Depends on your Trust/Line Manager - in my Obstetric job the Boss couldn't really be bothered (!) & given after early stage there weren't any issues I just soldiered on without one being done.

My next job had a proforma (available on the intranet) that I went through with my Boss (who was awesome & had just come back from her 2nd Mat Leave!) & then submitted to Occupational Health... who filed it somewhere? & then proceeded to sit on the fence with my department with the issues that arose - like working at nights/shift working/working alone/vulnerable to disturbed behaviour from patients etc. :rolleyes:

Often it's just a tick box to cover their arse and they don't care about actually implementing anything once a risk has been identified. So in reality, I just circumvented them - went directly to my GP & got a Fit Note for 'amended duties'! :tongue: Pregnancy does make you rather single-minded/selfish...

I don't think I'll tell family and friends till 12 weeks...might wait till the child is 18years old to tell my mum. She got completely overexcited about my cousin announcing her 5 week pregnancy I don't want the fuss for me...! She's an ex-midwife and antenatal teacher and can just imagine the amount of 'knowledge bombs' she'd want to drop on me and telling me what to do, although grateful she's 200 miles away- but may appreciate her being closer when it comes to childcare!

I thought i'd be totally relaxed and cool about TTC but keep jumping on every little symptom and i've only been off the implant for over a week!

We told about four people prior to our scan at just before 14 weeks and then everyone else after that. One of the people that I told was my clinical supervisor at the GP I was working at just because I was vomiting non-stop and it was getting tricky.

I had two of my three risk assessments, all of them were done after I moved on to my o+g job and they were reasonably productive. I got taken off theatre off the back of them (as I kept collapsing) and ended up only doing a minimal amount of out of hours c-sections from 16 weeks (a lot of that was due to very supportive other SHOs on the rota though. Then when I was 27 weeks as people were dragging their feet regarding the next night shifts I saw my GP who signed me off nights for the remainder of the pregnancy (again as I was still fainting).

I was the same re:TTC I symptom spotted a lot. We didn't tell anyone that we were trying but given how broody I was I don't think anyone was surprised.

In other news I have spent the last two hours being kicked continuously and with babies bum stuck under my ribcage. Not fun. If as I suspect I go over due I can't believe I could have another 5 and a half weeks of this!!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest