The Student Room Group

Pregnancy and Parenting Society Mark II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Depends on your Trust/Line Manager - in my Obstetric job the Boss couldn't really be bothered (!) & given after early stage there weren't any issues I just soldiered on without one being done.

My next job had a proforma (available on the intranet) that I went through with my Boss (who was awesome & had just come back from her 2nd Mat Leave!) & then submitted to Occupational Health... who filed it somewhere? & then proceeded to sit on the fence with my department with the issues that arose - like working at nights/shift working/working alone/vulnerable to disturbed behaviour from patients etc. :rolleyes:

Often it's just a tick box to cover their arse and they don't care about actually implementing anything once a risk has been identified. So in reality, I just circumvented them - went directly to my GP & got a Fit Note for 'amended duties'! :tongue: Pregnancy does make you rather single-minded/selfish...

I'm secretly hoping being pregnant might mean I'll get taken off the ward, popped in the office to do the paperwork and given a 9-5 office life as it tends to happen with a lot of colleagues....not ofcourse being the main reason to get pregnant :ninja:
Spent an hour away from Callie today while I was in uni for a meeting about my dissertation next year... god it was hard :frown: even though I knew she was just down the corridor, with my boyfriend, it was sooooo difficult. But the cuddles when we were reunited were lovely :smile: it's weird though, we technically haven't been apart for ten months, even if I didn't know about it for the first month :wink:

Re: telling people, we told families when we found out because we knew it wouldn't go down well (they wouldn't be without her now though, my parents adore their granddaughter!). Everyone else, we waited for after 12 week scan.

1507124_623280744428137_6003498208241227451_n.jpg
Here's my smiler! :wink: :biggrin:
37 weeks today! Term!
Original post by randdom
37 weeks today! Term!

:five:

We must have similar EDDs - we were 29th May?

Just calculated that it was this time a year ago - little did I know & my waters broke in the evening. :biggrin:
Original post by Anonymous
:five:

We must have similar EDDs - we were 29th May?

Just calculated that it was this time a year ago - little did I know & my waters broke in the evening. :biggrin:

30th :smile:
So BabyElles is one today! :eek: Still feels surreal. :love:

Went back to work last week so it was my first Monday morning at work. :bawling: But she did plant a (probably very coincidentally) relevant figurine from one of her new toys into my work bag to help me out..!
Original post by Elles

Went back to work last week so it was my first Monday morning at work. :bawling: But she did plant a (probably very coincidentally) relevant figurine from one of her new toys into my work bag to help me out..!

Thanks for all the patients you sent me. I should have triaged them before accepting them. Lesson learnt!
Just had our 12 weeks scan. Only 11 weeks (we were worried it would be further along!), 2 days away from being able to actually take proper measurements so we're going to have it all over again in a week or so. I don't mind. Really weird experience, seeing it wriggle like that.

I feel I can relax a little more, now I know it's heart is beating!
Original post by Hanvyj
Just had our 12 weeks scan. Only 11 weeks (we were worried it would be further along!), 2 days away from being able to actually take proper measurements so we're going to have it all over again in a week or so. I don't mind. Really weird experience, seeing it wriggle like that.

Ha, I totally get that. I'd really scared myself reading forums where people spoke about finding out at the 12 week scan that the baby had really stopped growing at 9 weeks and had died. I was terrified! Glad to hear everything's going well though!
Nervously making an appearance here. Me and my husband will be TTC end of this month after finishing my last pack of pill. Technically can start from tomorrow as tomorrow is my last day of uni before graduation but have to see a midwife first for preconception appointment. Speaking of which, has anyone had it? Just don't know what to expect really..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kater Murr
And now, the names debate...

My partner's first name, middle name, and surname all have 7 letters in them, and so do his Dad's. Apparently this means he's wanted to give his kids 7 letter names since he was a kid.

Ohmigodwhatamigoingtodo.

So frustrating.

7 letters specifically? Wow that's not very broad lol.

Phillip?
Michael?
Dominic?
Gabriel?
Freddie?
Stephen?

I guess there's a fair few out there, but it rules out a lot! Has your partner made any suggestions?

Honestly I wouldn't go along with it - it's such a strange reason to base a name on. I have 2 middle names, and hubby has none, so I kinda leant towards wanting 2 middle names for our kids, whereas he thought they didn't need any, so we compromised and gave our kids 1 middle name.

Relationships and parenting is generally about compromising if you disagree on something. He's being a bit unfair forcing the 7 letter thing. Maybe tell him the child can have a 7 letter middle name, but that you should both just choose a first name based on how much you both like it, rather than how many letters it has.

Original post by Subcutaneous
So, me and OH have decided we're going to start trying in about 6 months- although will be unoffically 'trying' from now on (just not actively going out of our way, if that makes sense...!) as he's going to be doing a fair bit of travel until November with up to 4 weeks at a time spent abroad etc.

However I let it slip in a friendly conversation to my manager a few weeks ago about this as she's just had a baby and was asking if I was feeling broody etc. I'm up for a deputy sister interview in a few days, with her interviewing me...and needless to say a bit nervous, but more nervous that this conversation will go against me and she might now want to employ me if I'll just go on mat leave in a years time. I've seen other colleagues who've announced a pregnancy, gone for a promotion and not got it for whatever reason..but feels a little too common for it to be a coincidence! Anyone have any experience with this? I get on very well with my manager and we've been friends for a number of years.

Secondly I had the implant removed last week and have spent the past 3 days feeling totally up and down with my mood, is this normal?!

Edit: Just another question, how soon to actually tell people? A few friends know as they've noticed pre-natal vitamins at the house and just generally telling people however my cousin told the family at only 5 weeks gone! I obviously work in a very physically exhausting job as a nurse and wondering if it's safe to tell work as soon as I know, or is it ok in this sector to wait till the 12 weeks scan?

Congrats on the TTC decision!

When I had the implant removed I think I just felt relieved! I'm not sure I noticed any mood side-effects, but then again it effects different people differently. I had mine removed because it made me bleed almost constantly.

As for how to tell people, well we never TTCed our first so I guess my experience is different. Lydia was just a surprise. We did TTC Alex though but we found it very natural to tell people as we already had one child, so trying to conceive a sibling for her was just taken as matter of fact by most people.

I guess if we were TTCing our first, I probably wouldn't really bother telling anybody. You don't know how long it will take, and it would probably get really annoying if it takes a few months, yet you get badgered by everybody asking whether or not you're pregnant yet. I'd just wait until I was pregnant and then announce it.

Good luck with it x

Original post by madders94
Spent an hour away from Callie today while I was in uni for a meeting about my dissertation next year... god it was hard :frown: even though I knew she was just down the corridor, with my boyfriend, it was sooooo difficult. But the cuddles when we were reunited were lovely :smile: it's weird though, we technically haven't been apart for ten months, even if I didn't know about it for the first month :wink:

Re: telling people, we told families when we found out because we knew it wouldn't go down well (they wouldn't be without her now though, my parents adore their granddaughter!). Everyone else, we waited for after 12 week scan.

1507124_623280744428137_6003498208241227451_n.jpg
Here's my smiler! :wink: :biggrin:

Awww your little one is so cute! Yes it's really hard to be apart from them when they're so little.

Original post by randdom
37 weeks today! Term!

Wooo congratulations! 37 weeks always feels like reaching a milestone I always think :smile:

Original post by Elles

Aww happy birthday to your little one.

Original post by Hanvyj

Scans are fab, I loved scans. It's amazing seeing your baby there inside you.

Original post by donutaud15
Nervously making an appearance here. Me and my husband will be TTC end of this month after finishing my last pack of pill. Technically can start from tomorrow as tomorrow is my last day of uni before graduation but have to see a midwife first for preconception appointment. Speaking of which, has anyone had it? Just don't know what to expect really..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Congrats on your decision to TTC

Nope never had a preconception appointment. Not sure what you would expect them to say really.... "eat healthily and have lots of sex" ? haha

My news :

kid news :

-Lydia has recently started swimming during her swimming lessons without armbands so I'm really proud.
-Alex might have dyscalculia - he's going to be assessed in school in the next few weeks.
-Jason is in defiant-stage mode, so he argues about bloody everything.
-Nathan is 10 months old now and is JUST starting to make the tiniest bit of progress with crawling, in that he can now slide himself backwards. Only downside is that he doesn't actually want to go backwards, he wants to go forwards, so he ends up under the sofa and wailing.

I guess that's about it really.

Younglings

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31.0-8/10317717_505739709552862_5035729903909603704_o.jpg
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Congrats on your decision to TTC

Nope never had a preconception appointment. Not sure what you would expect them to say really.... "eat healthily and have lots of sex" ? haha

Thanks! Yeah just not really sure about what to expect. I think it's cos of medical issues that my GP wants me to speak to the midwife as he/she can write a letter to consultants if need be. Apparently I have to speak about birth options too (and I'm not even pregnant yet) so really nervous. Thank goodness my husband will be coming with me after all so won't be so bad.

Can I just ask to any of you, when you were TTC how often do you have sex?We barely manage once a week now and worried that won't help when TTC.:colondollar:
Thanks! Yeah just not really sure about what to expect. I think it's cos of medical issues that my GP wants me to speak to the midwife as he/she can write a letter to consultants if need be. Apparently I have to speak about birth options too (and I'm not even pregnant yet) so really nervous. Thank goodness my husband will be coming with me after all so won't be so bad.

Can I just ask to any of you, when you were TTC how often do you have sex?We barely manage once a week now and worried that won't help when TTC.:colondollar:

Will pm :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We did it every night for 8 months when we were TTCing Alex, and didn't get anywhere. It was stressful, it wasn't fun at ALL, and we were both going through the motions. It got to a point where one of us would say "right, it's time to have sex" and the other person would just groan miserably!

Then we just decided to change our stance and stop seeing it as a chore. We cut the sex back to a couple of nights a week and made it fun again - doing it out of passion rather than obligation, and wham bam lo and behold I conceived pretty quickly after that.

I really do think if you try too hard it can be more of a hindrance than a help!

If I were you I'd probably start charting and find out when you're likely to be ovulating. This site is very good for charting :

www.fertilityfriend.com

If you do it maybe once a week as usual most of the time, but then increase how often you have sex around the time you're likely to be ovulating, then you're on the right track.

Official advice is just every few days throughout cycle...

But - I totally charted my cycles/used ovulation predictor kits & then we had sex pretty much every day for about a week around predicted ovulations - as I figured you're not going to get pregnant if there's no egg so might as well up the chances when actively trying. We got lucky 2nd month.

Suspect he's looking forward to an increase in sex for TTC #2 - baby #1 not necessarily conducive to intimacy & pregnancy drought as paranoid about placental position... :tongue:

(Totally flitting in & out of the Anon for searchability reasons! :ninjagirl:)
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
7 letters specifically? Wow that's not very broad lol.

Phillip?
Michael?
Dominic?
Gabriel?
Freddie?
Stephen?

I guess there's a fair few out there, but it rules out a lot! Has your partner made any suggestions?

Honestly I wouldn't go along with it - it's such a strange reason to base a name on. I have 2 middle names, and hubby has none, so I kinda leant towards wanting 2 middle names for our kids, whereas he thought they didn't need any, so we compromised and gave our kids 1 middle name.

Relationships and parenting is generally about compromising if you disagree on something. He's being a bit unfair forcing the 7 letter thing. Maybe tell him the child can have a 7 letter middle name, but that you should both just choose a first name based on how much you both like it, rather than how many letters it has.

Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards. Basically none of the names I like are seven letters, and tbh every time he suggests one I get the feeling he's just choosing anything he thinks is OK and has seven letters - which might be alright with him but isn't with me. grr!

In other news, baby has lots of quiet days and even though I'm pretty sure it's just growth spurts/feeling sleepy, I still can't help but feel a bit worried about it. Everything was fine on the Doppler on Monday so I'm sure it's all good, and this has happened before and it just took a few days to get back to normal, but it's so strange not feeling many kicks!
Spent the day feeling tired & sick...only been off the implant for 3 weeks or so, must stop looking for symptoms....

I need to be rational and assume it's the ridiculous amount of night shifts I've done!

We're spending the weekend babysitting our lovely 4 month old nephew this weekend as his parents go on a little minitrip since baby arrived, which is rather exciting 'baby practice'. I've spent the day baby proofing our new house and didn't realise how many sharp and low corners there are! I've not looked after a young baby since, well...never really and neither has OH so, it will be an experience. Don't think I've ever even changed a nappy without supervision...!!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Subcutaneous
Spent the day feeling tired & sick...only been off the implant for 3 weeks or so, must stop looking for symptoms....

I need to be rational and assume it's the ridiculous amount of night shifts I've done!

We're spending the weekend babysitting our lovely 4 month old nephew this weekend as his parents go on a little minitrip since baby arrived, which is rather exciting 'baby practice'. I've spent the day baby proofing our new house and didn't realise how many sharp and low corners there are! I've not looked after a young baby since, well...never really and neither has OH so, it will be an experience. Don't think I've ever even changed a nappy without supervision...!!!!

lol I wouldn't worry too much about baby-proofing a house for looking after a 4 month old. Unless your nephew is a child prodigy, he won't be even remotely mobile :tongue:
Thanks all for the replies regarding conceiving! Been to my midwife appointment and it went well so today is officially day one of trying. Fingers all crossed!

Posted from TSR Mobile
A friend of mine has just had a baby and I found out today why she ended up having a c-section rather than a home birth, which is what she wanted. She went into labour on the monday and was still in labour on Friday.

Gulp.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest