Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randdom)
    Absolutely. What I meant was don't go overboard with the little stuff as you can always get more if you need it and it is gutting when you have an outfit that you get which you love which only fits for a couple of weeks!
    That's true... we haven't gone overboard on the newborn size because we didn't think he'd fit in for very long anyway (and like you say, there is a risk he may not at all!) so we've got about 9 outfits, but no sleep suits yet so I just need to get a few of them and then we're sorted.

We haven't really got much in the 0-3 months size yet, but shall be starting that soon

Also, my lovely helpful TSRers! Do you have any advice on what to do blanket-wise? I've heard conflicting things. Initially thought swaddling was a good idea until I read that it can damage babies hips and they might get overheated as so tightly wrapped up. Apparently baby sleeping bag things are not safe until they are 10lbs so may not be suitable for his first month. And normal blankets present a cot death risk. Someone suggested cellular blankets, are these safe? Or any other suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzy890)
    It's something we won't know though until he is born though so we can't really assume he won't. I'm remaining hopeful of him being a small baby too lol... nervous he will have my fiance's head Both me and my brother were tiny babies (although Chris and his brother were on the larger side on the normal scale), so depends who this one will take after, me thinks...
    Also, you really never can tell. I was 6lbs, my brother was 6lbs 7oz, and my partner was 7lbs 7oz. Sébastien was 8lbs 7oz, so an ox in comparison.

ReputationRep:
    You whatever works along with a large dose of common sense - practically everything you will hear will be based on guidelines which change with new sets of research. Though there are some new products on the market that are just gimmicks. You don't really need them TBH.

I have used all three, including swaddling. In fact one of my mummy friends who gave birth in the last week is swaddling hew newborn, but she is also breastfeeding and co-sleeping. Swaddling is really helpful during the first few weeks, because they are used to being wrapped up neatly. It helps you get a bit more restful sleep and as long as you are not going OTT with other blankets, overheating is less likely to be a problem. I didn't use swaddling for that long, primarily because they would fight their way out of the blankets again.

I loved the Sleeping bags for my youngest three. I used them from birth. Worth bearing in mind that the 'average' weight for a newborn is 7lb 8oz for boys and 7lb 4oz for girls, but size is relative. My children were larger than either myself or my husband was at birth with no underlying conditions to affect it. It doesn't take that long for them to get up to 10lbs tbh. Worth getting one in and seeing how it fits. I used to tuck the end of it at the bottom of the cot to begin with.

Blankets - get a couple of good quality cotton cellular blankets. I loved Mothercare ones. They are really good quality and really last. I preferred the brushed cotton sheets as well, these can be used for swaddling, as can the cellular blankets. The fitted sheets for the mattress are also good because they are not prone to come off the mattress even with the most wriggling baby.

Ultimately your baby will tell you what they like best xxx

ReputationRep:
    OH was nearly 11lb, i was 8 and c-g was 6lb5! She fitted in newborn for ages haha. Then more or less skipped 0-3.

Theres guidelines for everything but you will figure babies like their things, Chelsea is a belly sleeper. We weighed up the risk vs the side effects of her screaming blue murder for hours on her back.

Blankets wise we use cellular or a sleeping bag depending on if she falls asleep before we put her in it.

ReputationRep:
    Hello!! I used to be Madders94 but got logged out of my account, couldn't log back in and TSR won't send me a password reminder so here I am

C is now 10 months old :gah: nearly 11 months!

Congratulations to everyone who was pregnant/trying when I last posted and now has BFPs/babies!

Here's my little munch

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...d=368381&stc=1
    Attached Images

(Original post by maddersla)
    Hello!! I used to be Madders94 but got logged out of my account, couldn't log back in and TSR won't send me a password reminder so here I am

C is now 10 months old :gah: nearly 11 months!

Congratulations to everyone who was pregnant/trying when I last posted and now has BFPs/babies!

Here's my little munch

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...d=368381&stc=1
    Cutest thing I have seen for a while!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Awww very cute!

So, follow up "reassurance scan" today at what should've been 9 weeks. Despite a good 6 week scan with good rate heartbeat/right size, no spotting whatsoever and vomitting twice a day for the last 3 weeks - the heartbeat has now stopped with average growth suggesting it happened a few days ago.

I am devastated. Was really trying to think positively about this one & as ever you get carried away imagining the future/baby. & went to scan alone as hoping/expecting good news...

Booked in for another ERPC next week.

3 miscarriages in a row so officially now "recurrent" and there might be an underlying cause rather than just bad luck. Fertility obviously isn't an issue but think we'll need to take a break on TTC for a bit so might as well ask to be referred to a recurrent miscarriage clinic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So, follow up "reassurance scan" today at what should've been 9 weeks. Despite a good 6 week scan with good rate heartbeat/right size, no spotting whatsoever and vomitting twice a day for the last 3 weeks - the heartbeat has now stopped with average growth suggesting it happened a few days ago.

I am devastated. Was really trying to think positively about this one & as ever you get carried away imagining the future/baby. & went to scan alone as hoping/expecting good news...

3 miscarriages in a row so officially now "recurrent" and there might be an underlying cause rather than just bad luck. Fertility obviously isn't an issue but think we'll need to take a break on TTC for a bit so might as well ask to be referred to a recurrent miscarriage clinic.
    I am so sorry have you got someone with you now?

I know that some hospitals will offer to do further tests after this ERPC for a third so that you can look to see if there were any genetic issues. Will your hospital do this or do you need to be referred to the recurrent miscarriage clinic first?

(Original post by randdom)
    I am so sorry have you got someone with you now?

I know that some hospitals will offer to do further tests after this ERPC for a third so that you can look to see if there were any genetic issues. Will your hospital do this or do you need to be referred to the recurrent miscarriage clinic first?
    Thank you.

Unfortunately not - DH works away during the week and this was supposed to just be routine/for my anxiety so didn't arrange specifically for the rare dates he could accompany me which would need me to take time off work! But have told quite a few people (who didn't know I was pregnant!) today so lots of support via phone/texts/email etc.

The EPU nurse seemed to think they would be able to send for karotyping if we make it to the ERPC & I've dug out some appropriately sized tupperwear for if it happens before then (!)
    Been googling which NHS RMC i'd like to go to as they seem to have quite different ideas/ranges of treatment they'll offer. Just feel so sad - was really hopeful about this one & know that I now need to take a TTC break as can't bear the thought of another heartbeat stopping if there's something that could've been done to help (aspirin/heparin/prednisolone/metformin - who knows?!). :bawling:

(Original post by Anonymous)

So sorry to hear that this has happened to you. I can still remember when the words were said to me, and that was more than four years ago now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so sorry to hear that Anon.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that anon :hugs: Have you got anyone with you to support you?

ReputationRep:
    Little man is 9 months old today! Time flies too quickly!

Attached Images

Thank you for kind words Anon 3, Kater Murr & Sazzy890.

Was pretty tough as made the (stupid) mistake of thinking scan would just be routine and so going alone. Still no bleeding at all although morning sickness has eased off and heartbeat probably stopped nearly 2 weeks ago now... suspect could well have gone to 12 week scan thinking all was ok! But do have toddler to keep me busy (& she runs off to get a tissue to wipe my tears if I cry then cuddles me :love: ) , parents have visited & husband is home Fridays/weekends.

Due to have the ERPC under local anaesthetic again on Friday. Urgh!

Saw GP today & being referred to my preferred recurrent miscarriage clinic - so hopefully will get an appointment there in next 2-3 months or so. Then after tests/treatment plan (from all my reading I'm thinking I've acquired an immune issue with either clotting or NK cells attacking placental development) then can start TTC again...

I feel so much more broody/desperate for a newborn than I ever did first time around. :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    Happy mothers day to all you beautiful mummys and mummys-to-be!!

C-G is 4 months today!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Can't quite believe how quickly I am growing lol... to think I still have just over 13 weeks to go as well. :ninja:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    aww madders, randdom and timewarp, they're all so cute!

I'm at my wits end with Lydia. Her temper is beyond a joke. She's perpetually getting in trouble at school for flying off the handle. Granted she's always provoked, but the way she reacts is worse than the provocations in the first place!

She's so intelligent, even her teacher has said that her work is by far at least 2-3 years above her year group, and when you speak to her it's like having a conversation with a little adult, but she just hasn't any social skills at ALL.

UGH.

I don't know if it's just hormones or if she needs anger management or something. She's meant to be being referred to the school psychologist but he hasn't shown up yet.

She's involved with the school band, but the teacher has said she's on her last warning and then he's going to exclude her from those classes because she keeps arguing with people.

I feel like such a terrible mother. I don't know what to do. I've talked to her COUNTLESS times about not reacting the way she does, and we've discussed calming down strategies, and so on, and in principle she gives all the right answers and says she's going to try her hardest, but then something will happen when another person will provoke her and that's it, all logic flies out of the window and she just loses it.
    She hasn't HIT anybody yet but she has pushed someone up against a wall and threatened them. Usually she just screams and shouts at them.

Knowing the way she is, it would be easier just to tell everybody to not poke a bear, but obviously other children at school half the time provoke her because they like getting a reaction out of her.

She's so lonely most of the time. She isn't interested in the same things as the other kids, and she'd much rather just sit and read on her own, but she gets taunted because of her different interests (she likes rock/classical music rather than chart stuff, and she enjoys things like books, chess, astronomy, table top role playing and so on). She's such a little geeky nerd and that's wonderful as far as I'm concerned, but it makes her a target for bullies, and with her temper the way it is, it's just asking for trouble.

I just want her to be happy but I don't know how to help her
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    She's 9 and a half by the way. Year 4.

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...23643299_o.jpg

https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hp...0d&oe=55BDD889

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    aww madders, randdom and timewarp, they're all so cute!

I'm at my wits end with Lydia. Her temper is beyond a joke. She's perpetually getting in trouble at school for flying off the handle. Granted she's always provoked, but the way she reacts is worse than the provocations in the first place!

She's so intelligent, even her teacher has said that her work is by far at least 2-3 years above her year group, and when you speak to her it's like having a conversation with a little adult, but she just hasn't any social skills at ALL.

UGH.

I don't know if it's just hormones or if she needs anger management or something. She's meant to be being referred to the school psychologist but he hasn't shown up yet.

She's involved with the school band, but the teacher has said she's on her last warning and then he's going to exclude her from those classes because she keeps arguing with people.

I feel like such a terrible mother. I don't know what to do. I've talked to her COUNTLESS times about not reacting the way she does, and we've discussed calming down strategies, and so on, and in principle she gives all the right answers and says she's going to try her hardest, but then something will happen when another person will provoke her and that's it, all logic flies out of the window and she just loses it.
    She hasn't HIT anybody yet but she has pushed someone up against a wall and threatened them. Usually she just screams and shouts at them.

Knowing the way she is, it would be easier just to tell everybody to not poke a bear, but obviously other children at school half the time provoke her because they like getting a reaction out of her.

She's so lonely most of the time. She isn't interested in the same things as the other kids, and she'd much rather just sit and read on her own, but she gets taunted because of her different interests (she likes rock/classical music rather than chart stuff, and she enjoys things like books, chess, astronomy, table top role playing and so on). She's such a little geeky nerd and that's wonderful as far as I'm concerned, but it makes her a target for bullies, and with her temper the way it is, it's just asking for trouble.

I just want her to be happy but I don't know how to help her

Poor kid. She sounds like a dude. Maybe one way that you could help her would be to look for places she can make more friends similar to her outside of school - but then I guess if she likes stuff like tabletop roleplaying she already has some of these? It might or might not help with the anger issues, but it would be great for her anyway. I know how tough it can be not knowing anyone who shares your interests. Otherwise, no idea what to suggest I hope that seeing the school psychologist does help, but it could also be that she's just got a hot temper - and there isn't always much to do about that!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2017
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.